New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Hotel is not the word...What a Great Experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
Massachusetts
“Hotel is not the word...What a Great Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Last month my husband and I traveled to Big Sur after dropping our son at his college.
The fabulous vistas and awe inspiring nature of Rt.1 were a very welcome sight, and when we made it to Treebones, it became clear we had made the right choice. The yurt (#10) was ample and cozy at the same time, the view from its deck, amazing. The organic garden, the vegetation around the pathways and views were such a delight to all senses: birds singing and hopping among the veggies and flowers, scents from herbs, and wild flowers, and the far away chorus of sea lions. Then you go in to the pool and hot tub with great Pacific views (and good wifi reception, good to check messages once a day when there is no cell signal around), grab something from the bar or the fantastic sushi (confession:only tried the poki, because we couldn't resist it due to hawaii memories, and it was truly amazing). The restaurant served wonderful dinners and breakfast (included), reception people were friendly and knowledgeable about hikes and places to go, all in all a wonderful place to be! Yurts don't have bathrooms, but they do have sinks and heaters, bathrooms/showers are a short walk away along path.

Room Tip: ASk for ocean view and proximity to the bathrooms
Green Features: Very good! Organic gardens, composting, recycling, etc.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pvblue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at a Treebones tent site (#3) September 24th and 25th. I was on a solo photography trip shooting stock video and I really needed an economical place to set up camp and use as a base. I chose Treebones over one of the other nearby campgrounds because I really wanted a warm shower and definitely needed electrical outlets to re-charge my camera batteries. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was awesome. I feel bad, but I never got a chance to use the restaurant. After being out shooting all day I pretty much just cooked my own dinner, had a few cold beers and read in my tent. I'm used to camping in New Hampshire's White Mountains and I can say that I have never seen the stars look this amazing as they did in the Big Sur night sky. I had some initial reservations when I first got to Treebones because it was so far South from the center of Big Sur. I thought there would be nothing worthwhile to film, but I was so wrong. Some of the most beautiful parts of the Big Sur are right here on the Southern coast. There are great hiking trails (Cruickshank being my favorite), a great day trip to Ragged Point, San Simeon and Cambria, and to the North a bit is a trail with access to an amazing private beach (I'll keep this one to myself). I don't know how people could say that the staff wasn't friendly here. The woman at the front desk couldn't be any more personable. I was actually a little homesick since I don't usually travel without my family and it was nice to see her smiling face everyday. Hope to come back with my wife and teenage sons someday soon. Thanks!

Room Tip: Campsite #3 is very private and offers an unobstructed view of the stars, ocean and mountains, but i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Boston0212202122
MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Treebones is beautiful. I stayed here with my fiance in August 2012. We roomed in the yurt and rented sleeping gear from REI. The yurt has beautiful views of the pacific ocean. You can't really go wrong with this choice. The restaurants on site, pool, and hot tub all have beautiful views overlooking the ocean too. This is such a peaceful and serene place and I never wanted to leave. It's also a great bargain. I daydream about Big Sur often. My one complaint is that it's a long drive to other restaurants in Big Sur because it's past Julia Pfeiffer State Park and only 20 minutes away from Hearst Castle. However, Treebones is so beautiful you might never want to leave the property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank nsroofstar
Stanwood, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

There are yurts, tent sites, and a human nest to rent at this lovely resort. No matter what sort of accommodation you choose you will have an ocean view, fresh hot breakfast, use of the pool, hot tub, and spotless hot showers. Our tent sight (#1) had privacy, space, and a full ocean view. The employees are friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable about the area. If you want to go kayaking ask them about contacting Cubby at San Simeon Cove.

Green Features: This resort was installing solar hot water heaters while we were there. They have an organic garden on site, practice recycling, and make good use of environment friendly materials and resources.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked this place for the night leading into my partner's 26th birthday as it seemed to be something totally different to what the area (and, in fact, the world) have to offer.
Checking in was quick and easy, we were able to pull up to the front reception in the car and check in, then drop the car back down at the car park. We also had a lad in a golf buggy come and collect us and our bags and drive them to our yurt.
After spending a few hours looking out over the Pacific from in the hottub, basking in the sun and sampling the good range of ales, we chatted to the friendly clientele and watched the whales migrating south down the Californian coast.
Dinner was delicious and served by friendly and helpful staff, and could only have been bettered had the sushi bar been open. We stayed on a Tuesday and this is the only night of the week the sushi bar is closed. In all honesty, the reviews for the sushi bar were a large contributed as to booking the treebones resort, and it wasn't clear that the sushi bar would be shut in Tuesdays. This is the only part keeping the review from 5*, but was still certainly higher than a 4* experience.
Loved it loved it loved it and would pressure anyone to go if they were in the area.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Harry P
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay in one of Treebones' yurts. The whole site is very pleasant and well looked-after and the yurts are great (provided you start from the viewpoint of "this is a tent", rather than "this is a hotel room"!). The shared bathroom facilities are fine. The only sight letdown was the restaurant - it's fairly pricey (which is fine - that's to be expected in the middle of nowhere with no competition!), but a lot of the food/service fell very slightly short of the mark (for example, we waited just over an hour between sitting down for dinner and receiving our food. When it arrived (filet mignon, which we'd ordered rare), it was significantly overcooked). Overall, however, a great stay in a lovely setting with great staff.

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Christopher M
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

we went to treebones last year. It was a fantastic place. You must experience it. The air, the sounds,the sights! Great areas to explore nearby. It was wonder to wake up to the sound of the sea lions. Lovely people. Don't miss this

Green Features: very environmentally friendly. BE sure to check out the gardens
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#3 of 8 in Big Sur
Ragged Point Inn and Resort

Been to Treebones Resort? Share your experiences!