WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“One of a Kind Amazing Place, a Must” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“One of a Kind Amazing Place, a Must”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Treebones resort is a truly unique place that is a great way to experience the outdoors without going all the way. We thought we would be glamping when we set out on this adventure but really it was more like a hotel room without a toilet inside it.

The yurts have gorgeous hardwood floors, a table and two chairs, a queen size bed with bedside tables on either side, a queen size sofa, a heater and a sink with hot water and electricity to plug in your electronics. At the top of the yurt is a dome skylight which you can open. The skylight also has no cover to it so you wake up with the sun unless you can sleep through it so I would have brought my eye mask if I’d know about that one.

I love how all places overestimate the walking time to the bathroom. It's about a 20 second walk to the bathroom. All the yurts are close, so you really can't worry about the location of your yurt unless it is too close to the action then maybe it would be a little noisy? We were in Yurt 8 and it was perfect.

There is no internet access in the yurts themselves. You can get internet up at the main building to sync as needed. There are no phones in the yurts or the main building. There is a pay phone – yes a pay phone but I don’t know anyone who has a calling card anymore and using your phone to skype is specifically discouraged because of the limited amount of total bandwidth here.

If you’re a dude, you’re in luck. Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night is a walk out onto your balcony. For the ladies, I suggest going to the bathroom twice before you go to sleep. Then don’t drink anything. If you have to go, the toilets are really only about 40 seconds walk away.

On your balcony that overlooks the ocean (if you get an ocean view), you will find two Adirondack chairs. We went out there to read yesterday afternoon and were greeted by whales playing around in the distance. So bring your binoculars because we forgot ours and the gift shop doesn’t sell them, rent them or apparently have a pair to borrow.

Finally, there are no bears. So if you get woken up in the middle of the night by a family of huge raccoons, just go back to sleep. Don't embarrass yourself and do what I did. I'll never tell. It helps not to keep food in your yurt, which will attract the animals who can't get in but will come 'round if you do!!

Wait, did I mention there is a sushi bar? I nearly forgot. Could this place get any better? There is an actual sushi bar right next to the pool and lodge and they have great fish. I was really impressed with Sara, the sushi chef. And I am a sushi snob for better or worse.

If I have one complaint, and it's a tiny very high maintenance one, it's that they don't have robes. It may go against the "roughing it" ethos of the hotel, but because you have to run back and forth to the bathroom and the shower, it would be super nice if they had robes in the rooms :)

Summary of things to bring just in case you think they will be handy.
Binoculars
Eye mask
Robe

Room Tip: We stayed in Yurt #8 and we loved it. The view was great and it was easy to get to.
Green Features: They are completely self sustained. They do not use any outside energy as far as I know.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We absolutely loved this place! We stayed three nights in late July in an ocean view yurt. The location was spectacular - looking right out over the Pacific and the yurt itself was beautiful, very comfortable and cosy. The best thing about the yurt was we got the 'back to nature' feel of camping, whilst enjoying a bit of luxury - perfect! The shared bathrooms are the only downside, and it's really no big deal - a quick trip, and they're very clean and pleasant.
Both restaurants (the sushi bar and the Wild Coast restaurant) served great food, and breakfast was also of a high standard. We also enjoying exploring the organic veggie garden and meeting the local cat Harry, and made the most of the board games available in the lodge.
The only downside to this stay was the Big Sur fog - being from Australia we weren't aware of this before booking our trip, and while we enjoyed the views when the sun was out, we were a bit disappointed we couldn't do so all the time. However, I think that's part and parcel of visiting this stunning area!

1 Thank MelbourneApples
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We checked into the Treebones resort for a two night stay. We booked one night at the campsite and the second night in the nest (because the nest was only available for the one night - you need to book it really far in advance). Check in was flawless and surprised by the warm and very helpful staff that even helped to bring us and our luggage to our campsite. That night we enjoyed a delicious sushi dinner and special thanks to Danny for his great advice, good service and solid sense of humor. The next day we stayed at the pool all day enjoying the unique view and sunshine. We moved our stuff into the nest and had our tent setup under the nest as a backup for rainy or foggy weather. The nest is unbelievable unique and has a great view. It also is surrounded by a wooden fence that keeps it very private which is great. That night we unfortunately did experience some foggy weather that caused rain drops to drop into the nest from the tree, and it did get quite wet. We unfortunately had to continue our night in the tent. My only suggestion would be to have tarp available to ensure a dry night inside the nest. Except for that everything was unreal and really made our trip unforgettable. Not to forget the free delicious breakfast and free wifi. Highly recommended and thank the Treebones team for this warm and great stay.

Room Tip: The nest is very unique and a once in a lifetime experience
2 Thank raynamarlee
Tacoma, Washington, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place was truly amazing! We stayed here two nights in the Silbey tent which is among the pitch your own tent area but is a tepee like, already standing tent so you don't have to set up your own. To me I think it had the best location as I like to be a it away from the crowds and although other tent areas were around us we had a lot of privacy.

Sibey Site: On a raised platform and stays comfortable at night. Had a beautiful location and view, also had a view of the Nest and it looked so cool as the sun was setting.

Views: Incredible! I spent so much time sitting on our picnic table staring at the beautiful view of the ocean and the stars can be seen so well at night I never wanted it to end.

Lodge: Such a beautiful place, it has the cutest gift shop area with all kinds of things you would need, snacks and supplies. Their bathroom and showers were the nicest I saw on my whole 3 week road trip and were wonderful to use, they had flowers in there and it was always nice and warm :)

Food: They have 2 restaurants, we unfortunately never had time to eat at the main lodge restaurant but definitely had the sushi and it was the best most beautifully made sushi I have ever eaten, it was a bit pricey but something I really did not mind paying extra for. We ate out on the Sunset bar and this was something I had been looking forward to the most and it was amazing, that is the view I wish I could have everyday while I eat! Plus their free morning breakfast has the most delicious hand made granola and yogurt plus huge fluffy make yourself waffles!

Service: Everyone was soo friendly and helpful, the person who greeted me chatted and made sure I knew everything, plus had no problem any time I wanted to change anything or ask any questions. Everyone was very attentive, the people who drove us from our tent to the parking lot always chatted and gave us ideas of things to do in the area, it helped make the experience great.

Pool: Maybe my favorite pool of all time, definitely my favorite pool of the trip it has a view of the ocean, right by the sky bar, and is like swimming in a fairy tale! Its surrounded by huge colorful flowers and butterflies were dancing all over them. It was clean and just perfectly in the sun, a nice size and I just had such a fun and relaxing time.

Honestly this is such an amazing place, the Yurts looked really nice as well but I think for me camping / the silbey tent / the Nest are the main places I will choose to stay and I will most certainly be back!

Green Features: This is another reason I love this hotel so much they did a fantastic job reducing waste and using fresh local organic ingredients for the food. I don't think any place could be better!
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We just got back from staying at the Nest at Treebones. If you enjoy nature, this is a must! The campsite included a giant nest with a beautiful view of the ocean, and a space at the bottom of the hill where we pitched a tent. There is a fence around the nest to discourage other curious guests from climbing into it. It was an incredibly unique experience. The mattress included in the nest was more comfortable than I had expected and we did not add any padding other than a sleeping bag and sheets. I had been concerned about bugs but did not find this to be a problem in the nest either. The bathrooms are about a 3 minute walk away.

We did not eat at the lodge other then the included breakfast. In many ways, we felt underdressed since we were doing more of a camping experience. We took a stove and cooked at our site. If you wish to go hiking or to the beach, you will need to drive offsite. Sand dollar beach is close by, and if you go at the right time, you do indeed find plenty of sand dollars. However, there is not a lot of hiking at this beach.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TMV14
Mount Airy, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I cannot even begin to tell you how wonderful Treebones is. It is a very unique place, unlike anything we have ever experienced. I am not a camper. This is "glamping" (glamour camping)! We stayed in Yurt 16. It was away from the other yurts in the yurt village, which was nice for us. The yurt was absolutely beautiful inside: queen size bed, sink, small table with chairs, a futon and a gas "fire place". Outside on our deck we had two Adirondack chairs and it overlooked the Pacific Ocean. Unreal. This is a chilly area of California, so jackets and long pants are needed. The bed was so comfortable that we had the best night sleep in quite a while! Keep in mind, there is no bathroom, but there was a bathroom a short walk away from our yurt. The showers are a bit farther, but a nice walk. There are only three women's showers, but I never had to wait. I showered at night, which was probably helpful. They are very clean and they do supply one towel and one wash cloth per person. If you need more, just ask-we did! There is no wifi, TV or cell service here. Be prepared! Breakfast was eggs, toast, make your own waffles, granola, and yogurt. Delicious! We were not able to try the restaurant for dinner, but heard it was very good. This was a wonderful way to spend our time in Big Sur. A great place for families to get away, I saw kids loving the pool! Keep in mind, there is quite a bit of walking and it is not flat! :-)

Room Tip: If you do not want to walk far, choose a yurt closer to the main lodge.
Green Features: This resort is as green as it can be! They grow all their own food and have a compost.
3 Thank sewcraz4361
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Where to start!? Treebones is a special place. The location is perfect - on a hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The staff are friendly without being overbearing and the yurts are a great experience. The weather during our stay was great, which always helps, and we had a great time relaxing on our porch, or chilling in the hot tub and swimming pool drinking an ice-cold beer. I would recommend this place to get away from the hustle and commercialism of much of the Highway 1 experience. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Pick one with a sea view!
Green Features: Really impressed with the Eco-friendly vibe - From the organic garden to the water-saving measures.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#3 of 8 in Big Sur
Ragged Point Inn and Resort

Been to Treebones Resort? Share your experiences!