This is an eco-friendly resort that provides options to stay in a yurt (a circular, permanent tent) or a campsite. So don't compare it against staying in a lodge or inn.
- Campsites have unbelievable views.
The yurts are really comfortable. It is not a hardship as they are heated.
- Wi-fi in the main lodge.
- No cell service - You're off the grid here, my friend.
- No toilets or showers in the yurts. You just walk up to the lodge.
- Limited restaurant options: There's a restaurant option in the main lodge that's more quiet and reserved. If you want more energy, grab a spot at the on-site (yes!) sushi bar. Treebones is located in a nice quiet area. There's a place called Whale Watchers Cafe, about a mile south, but you don't want to eat there. Your best options are the two Treebones restaurants. They don't get Yelp reviews but you have to keep them in context. You're in the middle of nowhere so the logistics of running a restaurant are more complicated.
The yurts aren't soundproof so you can hear the wind blowing or even your nearby neighbors.
You're not near Big Sur (or Nepenthe) so keep that in mind. Treebones is really isolated and that's saying a lot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unusual and unique eco-lodge experience with immense expansive ocean views on Big Sur's remote and rugged South Coast. Guests enjoy cozy comforts in fully furnished tent-like yurts or choose a campsite and bring all their own tents/gear to camp. Resort 'feel' in rustic setting. Two popular restaurant venues with cozy, communal atmosphere boast great service, organic, locally sustained cuisine with same great views. Massage services, hiking information, and modern book & sundries store on premises. Sustainability statement: We are dedicated to providing an honest eco-experience. We are off grid and over 50% sustained by solar power. We recycle and utilize our onsite garden and chickens to complete a composting cycle. We are also human-sustained: Meaning..we serve tourists with our hearts and our hands and there are humans behind the service here..not robots! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Treebones Resort Big Sur
- Treebones Hotel Big Sur