“Human Nest”
Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, California
“Human Nest”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I spent my forty-ninth birthday in the human nest and it was a great experience! Rocked to sleep by the ocean, cool, clean, clear, living in a tree. All of my childhood dreams come true. Great food, great staff, beautiful, beautiful facilities.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DrTatro
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
What an adventurous way to celebrate your 49th birthday. Not everyone is brave enough to NEST over the ocean in a bundle of twigs for the night. Hoorah for you. Come back for your 50th and try the Treehouse.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Reviewed October 28, 2011

A genuinely Eco resort that you don't have to make many sacrifices for. Spectacular views of the ocean, great staff, watched the sunset from the hot tub, saw orca's from the restaurant balcony whilst tucking into freshly made waffles and all in very comfortable surroundings. The one downside, if you can call it that, is the lack of en suite bathrooms. Very good food (local, organic etc) that is by far the best option unless you're willing to do quite a drive. Tips: book early and plan your yurt or pitch using their map of the site. Stay 3 nights if you can to truly immerse yourself into the place.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Meerkat1402
sydney
Reviewed October 9, 2011

A wonderful, peaceful and scenic place to stay n agree whole heartedly with the high ratings from other reviews.

The sushi restaurant was slightly expensive but good quality and fresh and we watch sunset disappear so quickly n spectacularly!

As well slight inconvenient of shared toilets but we had yurt 14 next to the pool and facilities with own parking spot and late night use of the spa !

Did not have enough time really... Spent two nights there n didn't get to do many of the hikes or kayaking as we hoped- saw the elephant seals a must see on the way to San Simeon n Hearst castle (give it a miss as a bit rich to pay $25 just to see the common areas only- you have to pay a further $20 to see bedrooms etc)

Overall a memorable time!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank naturalb0rntraveller
London
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Gorgeous views, delicious organic food, beautiful sunsets all tucked in to this self sustainable yurt village. The yurts are beautiful,very spacious, and enough to make you want to live in a round space forever. The location is unbeatable. The pool and hot tube are an extra bonus. The staff are super friendly and there is a very laid back atmosphere to the whole place. I would def. recommend this place to everyone!!! You must stay in the yurt. Stargazing and whale watching at its finest. Hope to come back one day!

Room Tip: A room w/a view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eeprichard
MrsTreebones, Owner at Treebones Resort, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you for spending part of your honeymoon at Treebones. We are so glad you found our laid back atmosphere and friendly staff to your liking. Come back and celebrate your anniversary with us!
Michigan
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I loved this experience. We had a partial ocean view Yurt, it was clean, comfortable and very pretty. The bed was very comfortable with the warm quilts. Somewhere between camping and a hotel room, the yurt is a fun way to experience a place. The weather was cool, but not cold and we were comfortable in the space. There was a small heater in the room, but it didn't make much of a difference.
We loved the grounds and spent a lot of time walking around and photographing the organic garden. The on-site shop is quite darling. Good wine selection, too.
We had a great time at the sushi bar, food was very good, fresh and a good value.
I'd stay again and would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask the staff about what is best, look at the map closely and the proximity of the Yurt to the lodge...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Tustin, California
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I stayed at Treebones 9/15 - 9/18 2011. I went with a group of girlfriends. There were 7 of us and we got 2 yurts, 1 oceanview and 1 not. If It were up to me, I would not have picked Treebones because I am not a "camping" type, I don't want a bathroom not in my room. But I went with the flow, as everyone else thought it sounded cool.

Let me start by saying I probably won't stay at Treebones again because when I travel to Big Sur area, I am usually (95% of time) with my husband who definately wants an in-room bathroom as well. That being said, my stay at Treebones was still excellent.

The staff was excellent, in particular, Lisa. We were getting up early one morning and needed to leave before breakfast was to be served but Lisa came in early to make sure we had coffee and hot water. We appreciated it because we were off to the Big Sur Trail marathon!

I appreciated that there was no TV in the room , and wi-fi was only available in the lodge.

Of the 2 yurts my friends and I reserved, 1 was oceanview and bigger (for 4 people. #13) The other was for 3 people and was mountain view (#3). #13 had a gas fireplace, (really a stove)which was awesome because the nights got cool. So if you are going, I would consider getting a yurt with a stove/fireplace as every time I've been to Big Sur, it gets cool at night.

The restrooms are not far from the yurts. But it is a little wierd if you get up in the middle of the night to go. One night, I got up around 3, and encountered a deer on my way to the restroom. No big deal, just a little startling.

The restaurant on site is a little pricey. And there isn't much else close by.

Pluses'-
no wifi/internet (yes, I think this is a plus)
- staff was awesome
- food in restaurant was really good

Minuses
- restaurant a bit pricey , but not uncommon for that area
- its just me, but I do like a bathroom in the room

All this being said, I do need to give Treebones high marks

If you go, I doubt you'll be disappointed

Room Tip: - I would definately pick a room with a fireplace
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth M
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My partner and I rented a yurt for one night on December 23rd, 2006. It was an amazing experience, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an atypical lodging experience. We got one of the ocean view yurts with a Queen bed, fireplace, and wash basin. The view off of the deck was awesome; December 24th was a beautiful, sunny and warm California day. We sat on the deck, soaking up the views and the sun, and listened to the Elephant seals on the beach below. My only "complaint" is the food available there. It's rather limited, and definitely pricey, but I don't think most are visiting Treebones for the dining experience. We brought a lot of snacks and wine from Trader Joes in Monterrey, and thank goodness we did. Once you get to Treebones, you don't really want to have to head out too often. Beautiful place, welcoming staff, amazing location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple