“Great Views, So-So Hotel”
Review of Lucia Lodge

Lucia Lodge
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed September 13, 2006

The hotel is okay, but I'm sure you'll get better for the price.

The room was "rustic" with a four poster bed and a fire, which was nice. The views were amazing too. We rquested one of the cabins at the end, which are not close to the car park, so we had no noise and coudl hear the ocean at night.

However, the bed wasn't very big, even for 2 regular sized people. Also, you look up on a series of cobwebs and spiders, which wasn't pleasant. The final straw came when our toilet overflowed all over the bathroom floor. Thank God we were leaving shortly afterwards.

The breakfast was hearty and tasty, but unfortunately dinner was not.

Another thing to note is that if you leave the hotel at night to go for dinner, you have to walk a short stretch on Highway 1 which is unlit - so be careful of oncoming traffic or bring a torch!.

I will stay elsewhere on my next visit to Big Sur.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Jooolz

Reviewed August 19, 2006

location absolutely wonderful, the room is furnished like a doll's house, the bed is very comfortable.
Lunch good, dinner a little expensive.
Beppe e Laura

3  Thank niniemilo
Reviewed August 2, 2006

We planned a trip through Big Sur at the last minute and this was the only place with an opening. For the hefty price of the room, we would not recommend it! It is located on a beautiful cliff, but the rooms feel old and neglected. I am not even sure what to say about the shower. We were just glad that we had booked baths at Esalon so we didn't have to use it. I would only stay here as a last resort. Another reviewer on this site who posted pictures had it right on!

4  Thank global_sojourner
Reviewed July 24, 2006

I just read the recent review of the people who stayed in room #3. I have to agree that the hotel should definitely lower the prices of the rooms that are not freestanding. That surely makes a huge difference. Also the fly and cobweb thing sounds disgusting. Happily, we experienced none of those problems with our room.

Room #10 is the very last one, closest to the ocean. You truly can open your door and have views that you could easily pay upwards of $900 a night for at Post Ranch Inn or other places. Lucia Lodge was totally worth the drive - about 25-30 minutes from the heart of Big Sur (where Nepenthe and all that stuff is). I would only stay in rooms 8, 9 or 10 here. They are "rustic" as they have no phones or TV, but why on earth would you need that in those settings? Simply wonderful. The heater worked just fine and you really can hear the ocean all night. I wish I could be back there again right now! The bed was fine, the bathroom was small, but I didn't expect it to be the Hilton. The only drawback were some noisy people who around 10-11 pm took over the benches by OUR room and talked loudly for about an hour. I was just about to go let them have it when they apparently decided to head back to their own room to talk loudly.

I must say also that the restaurant exceeded my expectations. The server was great, the views were of course amazing, and the food was above average. It was at a premium, but everything in Big Sur is - it comes with the territory. I'd recommend Lucia Lodge as a wonderful and affordable alternative to Post Ranch Inn or Ventana and those others.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank supremecourt25
A TripAdvisor Member
Tyler,TX
Reviewed June 25, 2006

My wife and I stayed one night on the way through Big Sur.
#8,9, and 10 are free-standing, away from parking, and quieter.
We stayed in #9. It had a small bathroom, queen-size bed, gas log heater.
Very rustic, but we enjoyed it. You can hear the ocean all night.
Great view. The food was good, not great, and the staff was friendly.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2006

Lucia Lodge is right next to the ocean and but some of the rooms are right next to the parking lot. We booked a room for Cabin 3 and when we arrived at our small room, someone had left the door open and there were flies everywhere, most of which were flying by the windows. As my boyfriend was swatting at least 10 of them, I looked up on the ceiling and there were cobwebs, along with these white tightly spun pockets of webs dotted along the wooden panels on the ceiling.

The decor was not rustic or charming; it was simply shabby. The bed was extremely soft, and old, stained sheets draped above the blinds.

Connie at the front desk didn't even offer to clean the room. She couldn't refund us because that was management's job. I did eventually get a hold of management on the phone and they offered a refund minus the 6% processing fee but I didn't accept that so they gave me the whole refund.

We drove back the direction from which we came from hoping to find another place to stay for the night and ended up staying in Gorda. The room was the same price as Lucia's (also right next to a parking lot) but it was clean, spacious, free of bugs.

Just because a room is in the middle of nature doesn't mean that nature has to be in the room. If I saw cobwebs or spider webs in my house, I'd clean it up. Why would I pay almost $200 a night to put up with that at a lodge?

12  Thank agnes_cao

Fernwood Resort
Fernwood Resort
#2 of 2 in Big Sur
Ragged Point Inn and Resort

Been to Lucia Lodge? Share your experiences!