Lucia Lodge
$850
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of $1,154/night.

$180
  • Restaurant
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
$489
$395
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $448/night.

Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
$585
$450
Travelocity
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $528/night.

$396
$349
Savings alert! 36% below average rates

The price you found is 36% lower than this hotel's average rate of $547/night.

Quail Lodge & Golf Club(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$355
Carmel River Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$179
$266
$180
Official Site
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $226/night.

Cypress Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$299
  • Breakfast included
Coachman's Inn, A Four Sisters Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$249
All reviewsthe cliffcontinental breakfasthoneymoon suitecoffee tablewatch the sunsetlovely dinnerwine glasseswithin milesragged pointbreathtaking viewspeace and quietmonths in advancesan frangeneral storewi ficalifornia coastlong drive
Reviewed November 6, 2013

There is one major reason to come to Lucia Lodge and it's a good one. The views are absolutely incredible. Keeping that in mind, there are some downsides.

When checking in I felt we were patronized a bit. Perhaps because we look young (we're in our mid-thirties and thankfully, sometimes still get carded), but the warnings we were given about not damaging the property and no "wild parties" seemed unnecessary to say the least. We were paying $330 for the night. Usually that type of speech is reserved for 17 year olds checking out a $60 motel room for prom.

I digress. The room we had was the most expensive, not by choice, simply because it was the only one available for that night. Book FAR in advance to make sure you get a room. There's only 10 of them.

The room was adequate. The bathroom was tiny and "wasn't designed for a woman on a trip" according to my significant other. There was no full length mirror, no hair dryer and no step in the shower to assist with leg shaving. Duly noted.

The bed was very comfortable. There was a sitting area with a decent amount of room. I don't think there was a TV. There is internet access but we were warned (again with the warnings) that the connection is very unstable and if we were to try and download any large files or videos the whole thing would crash. Fair enough, you don't come to this kind of place to stare at your computer screen anyway.

There is a small convenience store in the main building where you check in and the restaurant attaches. It has some overpriced wine and other things you may have forgotten to bring. I had already bought a bottle outside of Monterey on the way down to Lucia. I don't remember the name but it had a sea otter on the front and wasn't half bad.

The restaurant was okay... I had a local fish dish and the fish was a little dry and bland. I would have gotten the filet mignon but it was $35 and this was the end of a long trip that I had already busted my budget on. If you can manage it, I'd recommend making reservations at another local restaurant (closest one is about 20 minutes away).

The breakfast that is served is continental style. It was okay. However, for the prices paid, it'd be nice to have a hot breakfast included.

All-in-all, this is a decent place to stay, as long as you remember you are paying for the view. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

Room Tip: Book early. Go to a local restaurant rather than at the inn. If you are checking in in the evening, do your best to get there before sunset. The sunset views are stunning.
2  Thank 2bravo
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stopped here on a drive up the coast between LA and San Francisco. Wanted to stay in Big Sur. The views are awesome. It's better than any picture. Listening to the surf at night was calming. Theres a path behind the cabins up to the top of a hill to watch the sunset at night that is worth the effort. Just becareful on the trail. Rustic cabins are nice, clean and beds comfortale. The down comforter was a nice touch and the stove kept the cabin warm. Breakfast in the morning was good quality. Restaurant and shop are a short walk and the the food was good with very nice views as well. Spot is remote so going anywhere else for a meal you are driving. Just can not say enough on the spetaculair views.

Room Tip: End cabin (Honeymoon suite) is worth the extra $25 a night
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The location of the cottages is stunning. up on a cliff top where you can sit outside and watch the waves crash into the cliffs below. The bed was comfortable, the cottage was clean and the stove kept it plenty warm enough.

If you go round the back of the cottages and up the hill, a path takes you up a hill from where you can get a brilliant vantage point to watch the sun set.

The evening meal I ate was very enjoyable, as was breakfast.

I hope I get an opportunity to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get one of the cottages down the far end (7, 8, 9 or 10) for the best views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The views are great, the place is clean, period. Rooms are simple (they certainly lack a bit of extra work to make them look nicer). The service is not great. Nobody is rude but they don't move any extra to help you a bit with local info or so. Overall a bit overpriced (since there are nice views all over Big Sur)
The restaurant is plainly terrible. Overpriced, mediocre food and terrible service.

2  Thank regular-traveller25
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I used to wait tables. I'm in the hospitality field and I'm a business owner. I encountered possibly the worst in customer no-service, while in the middle of nowhere -- which would kind of make sense I suppose.

After the server went from rude to wtf? is this for real?!, I went to inform the woman who'd checked me into the lodge the previous day, who I assumed was in a managerial position.

Me, "I realize there's a small labor pool here, but I just encountered possibly the most rude server I've ever dealt with. I'd rather drive the 15 miles to a different place for dinner than deal with her."

Her, "What do you want me to do about it. I have nothing to do with them. I just work at the store, go tell them."

I told her it was customary for people working at an establishment when a complaint is expressed to at least give the impression that you care. A cursory, "I'm sorry you had that experience", probably would have sufficed. She slid a business card over and said I should complain to the owner.

She then told me that I had to leave, she had customers to take care of. I informed her that I was a customer, and a guest of the lodge, who was growing more displeased.

At this point I inquired about their refund policy, not wanting to stay there one minute longer than necessary. Reluctantly, she called Virginia, who handles reservations, and on a scrap of paper wrote I would be refunded for that night.

When I asked her name - she clammed up. Seemed a little sketchy to me, no email verification of a refund and a store clerk who wouldn't tell me her name.

Very unfortunate for all the international travelers who stop at this place - I hope they don't think the rest of CA is as unwelcoming as the Lucia Lodge. To top it off, the server asked all her tables if they wanted the tip included in the bill!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo