“Amazing views”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Cranford, New Jersey
“Amazing views”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The location was perfect! These cabins are perfectly placed overlooking the Pacific. The cabins are a short walk from the restaurant, check-in, and store. The food at the restaurant wasn't anything special, but it was nice to have it so close. There was a free breakfast in the morning as well. This is a great place to stay if you aren't looking to do anything except sit and relax and enjoy the great views.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Vermont
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in March of 2013. The cabins are quaint and rustic; to be expected as the main ones were built in the mid '30's just as the PCH was being completed. The four cabins that face the view are pleasant; not overly luxurious, but pleasant. The bathrooms are small, even cramped but the water is hot and one isn't there to live in the bathroom.

There is a convenience store/restaurant as part of the facility reached by a short walk along PCH. The restaurant is open for dinner from 5 to 7:15 (an odd choice of time), though if you get in the door by the latter time they'll serve you. However, it did seem a bit early to shut off. The food was decent and the view gorgeous.

Lucia seems to be a village in the Big Sur with this lodge, a few houses scattered about that can't be seen from the Lodge, and a charming monastery up a very winding road nearby.

Each time we thought the accommodations were too spartan, or the location too remote that opinion vanished in the face of the view from the front door each morning. At night one can hear to surf breaking at the base of nearby cliffs, and in the morning those same cliffs rise from the every present morning mist. This is the reason one is there; not the bathroom or the restaurant.

The next civilization is roughly 20 miles North or 40 miles South; so this stands alone and should be respected for that. It has stood the test of time and continues to provide a decent place to stay in magnificent surroundings.

While we did have dinner one of the three nights at the restaurant, the others we brought back sandwiches and salads from the Big Sur Deli that we picked up on our day trips. That made the whole experience casual and low key, plus reasonably inexpensive.

There is no cell service, but there is Wifi.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms that view the ocean; one of the four separate and original cabins if at all possibl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JMLVermont
carlsbad
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Follow my directions/experience and you will be very happy about VISITING (Not Staying) at Lucia Lodge. I strongly suggest you get there at 3pm and have a picnic very near or on the property by the cabins or restaurant. If you get a nice cheese/meat plate, or sandwich, a few chairs, and some beverages, go and enjoy the great view. This area is only good for the view. I am a plastic spoon, my wife a silver spoon, but I know a property when I see one, and this needs immediate attention by the owner. We stayed in #8, and it actually was quite small, unique, and lopsided. Yes, lopsided, as in watch a marble roll down one way. They are older buildings and you really want to support the property and its history, but the cleaning service needs to be intensified big time. If you stay, be prepared for lazy maid service. Mold in the bathroom, dust caked up on the ledges, broken bathroom door handle, doors that don't open all the way as they are warped, etc. For under $100 off season (we paid $230 plus TAX), this would be okay, but for the price we paid, no way, not me again. Do not encourage them with paying that kind of money. Until they upgrade the property and cleaning, go down 20 miles south to Ragged Rock Inn, which turned its place inside out over the last 5 years since I was there. That place has gas, sushi bar, market, restaurant, coffee place, picnic area, and it goes on and on. This was exactly what I told my wife what we would do to Lucia Lodge if we had the opportunity. We went to the other place an hour after envisioning this and it was amazing what we walked into. Lucia should get off its duff and make the changes. I would pay $230 a night there off season, but I need a lot more than was offered. My wife opened a milk creamer coffee deal and it actually curdled out. The Bfast is okay for a juice drink and pasty, but that is all. They were extremely helpful in changing our reservation at the last minute due to a flight cancellation in SFrancsico, but I had to call special numbers and beg to get someone to do something. I literally called a few dozen times and kept getting an answering machine. I have been very concerned about this in the past and this is the first time I have encountered not getting anyone. I SUGGEST YOU CALL THEM FIRST, AND IF YOU GET A PHONE ANSWERING MESSAGE, DO NOT STAY - JUST PICNIC FOR THE DAY. I realized that the view we took in from the property by staying the night was roughly 2 hours or less. Do yourself a favor, eat and be merry on the property and stay down the street or even further cheaper. There was a young lady on checkout who gave us a very good direction to a fairly hidden path to the ocean/coast right at the sign of Sand Dollar Beach. She was very very nice and pleasant, and is the only one who kept us from going off on TAdvisor. Folks, I am pretty forgiving, but ignore this property until they improve the property and/or significantly reduce the price. DO NOT CHANCE THIS PLACE ON VIEW AT ALL, IT IS JUST NOT WORTH IT. The owners really are doing absolutely nothing on this property and could care less about your business. Show them that we can accommodate their wishes by ignoring them until they make it worth our while. Again, don't stay because of the great view, just visit and picnic. Plan your freeway 1 adventure carefully, it is a long way north to anything and a bit south to something.

Room Tip: If you insist on chancing it, do the cheapest cabin/price and then walk over with your bottle and ch...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank CarlsbadJohn_M
London
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We spent the night at Lucia Lodge. Cabin fun, food over supper delicious. However, one word of warning to others. The website says that dinner is served between 5pm-8pm in season and until 9pm at the weekends. We made a telephone booking. When we arrived there we were a little surprised to find that the dining room stopped taking orders at 6:45pm because it is “out of season”. There is no indication on the website that could have led us to believe it was out of season, still less is there any explanation of what the timings are if it had been out of season.

And if that wasn’t enough, we were then told that on the second night we had booked for, the kitchens would close at 4pm because we were the only guests!

Had we known that the kitchens closed at 6:45pm we wouldn’t have come. So please, Lucia Lodge, correct this on your website.

And this was a terrible pity because it really is the most lovely place with very nice and willing staff.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DarbyJoanLondon
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a night while driving up the CA coast. Overall, we really enjoyed our night. The cottages were really cute, and being set on the cliff, had an amazing view. I would recommend splurging for one of the ocean view cabins that are not connected if you can afford it. The lower priced cabins are connected and smaller. However, there is a sitting area past Cabin 10 with benches and chairs, so if you don't get an ocean view one, you can always sit outside and enjoy it as well. The gas fireplace in the unit was quaint and warm!

Negatives - The cabins were a bit secluded from other things. We drove up to Ventana for dinner, and it took a good half an hour to get back for the night. We also thought the bathroom was cramped (the shower especially). That made it a little pricey for what it was.

Despite the negatives, I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stephanie F
Carmel, California
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I spent a few days here with my girlfriend for a romantic getaway, and we loved it. The only reason I rated it a four star and not five is due to it being a bit pricey for the accomodations. The cabin was rustic but we loved the quaintness and little gas stove. The bathroom was pretty small but the bed was very comfortable and the views out our cabin window (#7) was spectacular. We watched and listened to the waves crashing from our cabin and took a short hike up the hill behind the cabin to a private spot on a little bluff in the woods to watch the sun drop. We also enjoyed a nice dinner in the restaurant that was better frankly than we expected. On the walk back to the cabin we enjoyed and endless view of the night sky and brilliant stars...just perfect. What Lucia Lodge may lack in amenities it more than makes up for in terms of the privacy and the feeling that you are enjoying this beautiful place with just a few other lucky souls. We will definitely be back, and the staff were all very accommodating and friendly too.

Room Tip: It seems the free standing cabins are a much better choice than the motel style rooms. More expensiv...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lawrence M
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was my 2nd time at Lucia Lodge (not really a lodge but a set of cottages sitting high on he cliffs above the Big Sur coast with a small shop and restaurant a short walk away), and my companion's first time. After nice stops in San Simeon and Avila Beach, my companion insisted the Lucia cottage was by far the best, most unique stay of the 3 days. They are are indeed unique: no TV, no phones in rooms, and it is off the grid so no cell coverage either- are you going thru 'e' withdrawal yet?? They have added a limited satelite wireless access since I was there 2 years ago, so now you do not have to go through total withdrawal when you stay.
The original cottages were built in the '30's so they are old and lean, creak, and have the obvious termite damage to show their age. That said, you will not find a more unique, truly rustic (the old cottages define 'rustic') location on the CA Central Coast. Only had breakfast at the restaurant (breakfast open for guests only) and is more than adequate. Never ate dinner at Lucia, only eaten at Deetjen's at Big Sur Inn and highly recommend it.
The short hike up to the overlook above the cottages is an absolute sunset must.
If 'rustic' or cozy/romantic is not you, find another place, otherwise this is a must stay.

Room Tip: Cottages 7-10 are best, oldest, best views; 1-4 have views but not as good; 5&6 don't have d...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Glen Oaks Big Sur
#4 of 8 in Big Sur
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,168 reviews

Been to Lucia Lodge? Share your experiences!