“Superb view over the Pacific Ocean”
Review of Lucia Lodge

Lucia Lodge
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed June 26, 2012

With a superb location on a cliff looking over the Pacific Ocean, we tend to forget civilization in this peaceful and cozy place (as well as the price of accommodation). The sunset overlooking the sea seated in front of the cabins is a must.
On my second visit to California I tried to book in advance but Lucia Lodge was fully booked, because there are so few cabins available. Cozy, clean, a bit old-fashioned but charming. We also enjoyed having dinner there.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ricjoa
There are newer reviews for Lucia Lodge

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We've stayed several times at Lucia Lodge and will continue to do so while driving slowly along Hwy 1. Love the cliff-side rooms which capture 1930's California. Rustic, and appropriately so, rooms are comfortable. Romantic and peaceful, we linger each morning, leaning on the fence, before reluctantly moseying along.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Lucia Lodge for one night on our honeymoon and it was everything we'd hoped it be. We stayed in Cabin 9 close to the edge of the cliff. Some people have remarked that it needs to be updated, but I don't get it - yes, it's old fashioned, but that's really its charm. Everything is clean and in great condition and the staff is so friendly. Our cabin was quiet with a fire from which we could look out the window and see the moon rising over the Pacific. Word of advice though - the restaurant, although it has great views, is definitely over-priced and not very good. I'm reviewing the accommodation here though and not the restaurant, but just a note that I'd recommend eating dinner elsewhere. The lodge itself is super cute, comfortable and a lovely, charming place to stay in Big Sur.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank parklife77
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Location! Loved it! Kind of funky place - our cabin tilted at a five degree angle - but cute, clean and cozy, and did I mention the Location? Right on the edge of a south facing cliff overlooking the fabulous Big Sur coastline. I've been wanting to stay there since I first saw it. Truly a world class view! Worth every penny!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Alsy1
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My wife and I recently drove the Coastal Highway from L.A. to Crescent City. The Lucia Lodge was our first night. The lodge has three sets of cabins. Be sure to select the ocean view. The mountain view may disappoint some. The original lodge cabins were build in the 1930's before the Pacific Highway was built, so do not expect the same level of luxury as some of the newer high dollar resorts along the Big Sur Coast. My wife was delighted by the small cozy "romantic" rooms, with a poster bed, gas fireplace and beautiful views out the windows. Each cabin has a set of wooden deck chairs set behind a white picket fence set right on the cliff side. The room rate was half that of the pricey or should we say overpriced resorts ranging along this stretch of coastline. I would not choose to stay for more than a night or two unless you plan to use it as a base to range up and down the coast since there is little to do but soak up the sights from the cliffside. Unfortunately, the cabins actually face south, not west due to the shape of the coast here. A headland to the north, makes it impossible to actually see the sun set, but hey, you can't have everything. The restaurant for the lodge is a short walk up the road and serves great food. I had Cod or something like that and it was delicious and reasonalbly priced. The restaurant itself overlooks the ocean and has indoor or outdoor seating. I would recommend the Lucia Lodge to anyone looking for a quiet, reasonably priced, and un-pretentious place to stay along the Central Big Sur Coast.

Room Tip: The older ocean view rooms have the best view and are farthest from the road.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hisey
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Just south of Big Sur State Park, perched on the cliffs overlooking the Pacific right on Hwy 1 with a spectacular view of the ocean. We stayed in cabin 10 which was great. Its like stepping back in time since it doesn't seem like much has changed since it was built in the 30's: no TV and nothing much to do other than enjoy nature. The restaurant wasn't much to speak of but the hotel is worth the stay if you are making your way down the PCH.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We were driving down the PCH in early April and happened to stop at the Lucia Lodge . We were a little pressed for time and there was a landslide just down the road . I was a little frustrated because we couldn't continue down the road .So we had a nice lunch at the lodge sitting out on the back deck . The views were so amazing we took a little walk and in minutes all the stress and frustration's of a long days travel were gone . So I have to say that if you need to take a break the views at Lucia Lodge are some of the best .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ragged Point Inn and Resort
Post Ranch Inn
Post Ranch Inn
#1 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Lucia Lodge? Share your experiences!