“Big Sur”
Review of Lucia Lodge

Lucia Lodge
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed at Lucia in mid January, not expecting much however, the weather was spectacular in the mid 60's and beautiful clear days for touring the Pacific Coast from Carmel to San Clemente. Lucia Lodge has a spectacular location with beutiful views of the Coastline. Accomodations define the word rustic but the very quiet location well off the Highway leaves only the sound of the ocean waves on the beaches far below. Try and book the last two or three rooms 8,9, and 10 being the most costly at $250/night. The rest of the rooms are back off the coastal view but still located a short walk to the overlooks. Friendly staff and nice restaurant all adds up, we would recommend Lucia for that rare splurge get away.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank singert
There are newer reviews for Lucia Lodge

Reviewed March 30, 2012

We were lucky to get cabin 10, the one on the end with a fireplace, due to an earlier cancellation. At $250 (including continental breakfast) it was a bit pricey from my perspective, but then again this is a completely unique location and property. The cabins were built in 1937 and haven't had much done to them since other than being kept up. Very rustic and charming, the bed and linens were first class. Tiny bathrooms but great water pressure. We shared a caesar salad and seafood tortellini and it was excellent - the pasta included cod, salmon, halibut, prawns, scallops and mussels in a rich cream sauce. We had enough for lunch the next day, even though we shared a single serving! Very nice staff, particularly the lady who checked us in and ran the store. Don't miss the path that takes you up to the top of the hill, it overlooks the coast north and south and was a beautiful place to watch the sunset. Only real complaints were that the spotlight on the Lucia Lodge sign was light pollution to the view at night, and the pilot light on the fireplace was more like a mini blowtorch. Glad we stayed once, not sure that I would make it a point to return. There are other places (like Ragged Point) close by that are cheaper and more modern. Still, a true slice of the old Big Sur and an experience I am glad we took advantage of.

Room Tip: Get one of the cabins, splurge on #10 if it is available
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GualalaMarcus
Reviewed March 17, 2012

highway 1 between the san francisco bay area and los angeles is a spectacular drive -
we camped most of the time on our adventure, but had decided to splurge one night and stay at a hotel. lucia lodge, about 25mi south of big sur was our choice.

the views, the total quiet except for the sounds of the waves crashing at night, the cozy warm cabin, the delicious meals, and the outstanding staff all combined to make lucia lodge just a wonderful place to stay.
i have stayed in tons of hotels over the years and i'd be hard pressed to remember a place with a more friendly, helpful, informed and fun staff!
the lodge is owned by a long time big sur family and they know how to do things right!
your stay there is worth every penny you spend.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank geoff p
Reviewed February 20, 2012

At Lucia Lodge you get what you pay for, lots of view for lots of money.
Small cabins, rustic, a bit worn and shabby, but the location and the view are what it has to offer.
Breakfast is simple but good - and dinner menu looked good too.
At breakfast I asked to see the dinner menu for later that day, and was shown one.
I explained that I did not eat any fish or chicken, and the only meat I ate was an occasional hamburger. Hamburger was on the lunch menu, not the dinner menu, so I asked if it would be possible to have it at dinner. I was told that I would have to ask the cook, but that it probably would not be a problem. I noted that in any case, they offered a vegetarian entree, some pasta.

That night I returned to the restaurant for dinner, and was told that the menu I had been shown was wrong, and that all they had was the Valentines Day menu. It was 4 days before Valentines Day. This menu had no vegetarian meals. The cook said he could not make a hamburger. The waitress suggested that at least they would be able to make me something, a vegetable pasta, or a vegetable plate. I agreed that this would do, but when she checked with the cook, she was told that he would not make anything that was not on the new menu. The restaurant was not busy, only 4 people there. The waitress was clearly embarrassed by the cooks "Take it or leave it - I don't care" attitude. There was nothing else close by...the nearest restaurant is 10 or more miles away.
As I left, hungry, the kitchen door was open, and I saw the cook lounging with two of his friends, laughing, not busy at all.
I bought a 1 ounce cheese stick at the lodge store (I complained about the cook to the woman at the store, to no avail), and ate it with a small packet of pretzels from my airplane flight.
Having paid a very high nightly rate, and being willing to pay whatever dinner would reasonably cost, I thought I could get reasonable service. It turned out I was wrong.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank sheilds
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Excellent view of the sea and the cliffs. Unfortunately very outdated and quite cold at nights. Interior is nicely decorated but during the night all we could do is listen to the screeching noises made by the roof and plumbing.

Location is superb, as is the parking. Service is average but friendly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mm83si
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Located on a quiet and picturesque stretch of route 1. Rooms are decent but you are really here for the views which are spectacular and next to none. Highly recommended.

Dinner at the restaurant is quite basic and very overpriced. Breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank London_Wanderlust81
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Staff was super friendly and the rooms had a humble rustic cottage elegance. It made me want to stay another night that was inviting. Hard to justify the cost but that's the big sur!

• Stayed: November 2011
Ragged Point Inn and Resort
Post Ranch Inn
Post Ranch Inn
#1 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Lucia Lodge? Share your experiences!