“Avoid”
Review of The Sur House

The Sur House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sur House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The Restaurant at Ventana is situated 1200 feet above the rugged Big Sur coast with views of the Pacific Ocean. The culinary team is lead by Executive Chef Paul Corsentino, who uses only the freshest, organic ingredients to create simple cuisine with vibrant flavors. His menus are driven by his commitment to supporting the local farming community. Chef Corsentino's experience is brought to life in each daily menu he creates. Chef and his team are known for daring and diverse foods with inventive recipes both comforting and decadent, offering something for every palate. A locally inspired, sommelier selected wine list offers many options for food and wine pairings. Seasonal cocktails and California craft beers are available to enjoy in the cozy lounge area or outdoors next to the grand fireplace.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

If you want to see what the lifestyles of rich and famous eat, go here. If you are not among the rich and famous be prepared to be greeted by pretentious and snooty people who really don't want you there.
We had brunch reservations made six months in advance and arrive only to be told that yes they had our reservation but they had stopped serving brunch two weeks ago...sorry...you can Wait around for two hours and we will be serving lunch.
So we can not really comment on the food quality. The problem was solved by going to deetjins...Great food.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Given the history and location of the Inn we thought we would try the restaurant even though we were staying at the Post Ranch Inn where the food is very good. We pre booked, arrived on time and were given a warm welcome by the staff. The table was by a large glass wall with a pretty terrace outside where other diners had chosen to sit. The atmosphere was airy and pleasant. Everything, up to now, had been positive. Everything from there went downhill. The pre dinner cocktails were so bad we could not drink them and the waiter kindly changed them - for free, My starter was a disappointment. Bland, lacking in flavour and frankly of amateur status not what one would expect from a good chef. The other starter, mushroom soup was, in fairness, excellent. How could such disparate standard of food come out of the same kitchen?
The main courses which had been hyped up by our waiter, who was good, were another disappointment. Edible? Certainly. but the standard was mediocre. I have reflected and asked was I being overly harsh in this review? When comparing the food with, say, the Post Ranch the conclusion I came to was I am probably being 'kind' to the Ventana.
We came open minded and open spirited looking for a good meal in a nice location served by friendly staff. We got the last two but sadly not the first. Wish I could recommend this but I cannot.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The meal here was very nice. Had I not eaten at Sierra Mar the night before, I might have been a 5. Service was great, and dinner and wine pairings were very enjoyable. It was a bit expensive (much cheaper than Sierra Mar, and maybe a better value). Very nice view and setting.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I ordered two appetizers because I wasn't very hungry, but thought that $16 each was outrageous for the not large portions. The tomatoes in the salad caprese and the peaches in the salad with roasted peaches were not ripe enough, so both were disappointing. On the other hand my husband fully enjoyed his dinner.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We enjoyed the outside patio, very relaxing to have a cocktail, & lunch.
We shared the cobb salad, (very good) & chicken sandwich, (not too exciting).

Been to The Sur House? Share your experiences!