“Wonderful place for Valentine’s Day”
Review of Sierra Mar

Sierra Mar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sierra Mar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: High atop the cliffs, offering breathtaking views is Sierra Mar, winner of Wine Spectator's prestigious Grand Award. Offering an unconventional fine dining experience, Executive Chef John Cox presents inquisitive food creations featuring ingredients highlighted by a sense of place and culture. Selections from the award-winning wine cellar enhance the innovative, inspired cuisine.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Sierra Mar is a very special place. Sitting on the cliffs above Big Sur, the view is superb. The restaurant is beautifully designed with very nice spacing between tables allowing for quiet conversations. The service was excellent because of the well-trained staff and the more than adequate ratio compared to the number of patrons. The fixed price meal was served at a very leisurely pace with nice breaks between courses. The menu provides a lot of nice choices and when asked the restaurant was willing to accommodate some changes. The carrot soup, poached pear, black cod, wagyu burger, toffee cake, and chocolate were all delicious and plated very nicely. They could not have been better.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Post Ranch's restaurant did not disappoint on most levels. Romantic and transporting, unique menu and ambiance. Pricey but was expecting this.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We didn't stay here, though we did drive to the restaurant to check the menu. The views from the rooms are incredible, as they are set into a cliff overlooking the Pacific. While we didn't see the inside of the rooms, we will stay here some day.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I'll have to admit that our evening at this restaurant was very special and unforgettable. When we walked in the front door the view of the clouds was breathtaking. We were actually ABOVE them! And the sun was setting. it was as close as you can get to heaven on earth, in my estimation. Food and service were very good, but the cost was exorbitant. Our dinners were $100/person, for four of us,excluding the wine. Well, you do the math. Glad we did it once, though.

2  Thank 755kathryns
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Went here for lunch. My fiancé and I had the 45$ prix fixe lunch with the trio wine pairing (27$ extra per person.)

After passing security, near the reception area, you have a choice of valet parking or you can park your car yourself. There are stairs you take to reach the restaurant.

We sat outside. It was a gorgeous day and it was pretty warm. I was afraid the bees were going to bother us when they bought out our food, but they didn't bother and neither did any other insect/bug.

The view, yes, is amazing. It seems like the ocean goes on forever. I live by the coast, so I'm near the ocean frequently , so the view was ok for me. I think I would have enjoyed the view more if there was a more dramatic scenery on the coast ( ex: rock formations), but it still is pretty.

The location around the restaurant is very beautiful. They have a "quite area" near the restaurant which includes a bench, pretty flowers, water fall statue, and a gorgeous view of the ocean. We sat there for a bit enjoying the sun and scenery.

As for the food.....

First course: fijian carrot soup and the Piedmontese beef tartare. Both really good. Never had a tartare before and this was a great first experience.

Second course: prime bavette steak (with charred onions, roasted tomatoe, and chimichurri sauce) and the wagyu burger. I ordered my burger medium and it came out well done. It was very dry and ruined my experience with the course. I was disappointed because it had delicious ingredients on it (smoked bacon, aged cheddar, onions, tomatoes...etc). The steak on the other hand was very flavorful and enjoyable.

Third course: toffee pudding cake and warm chocolate cake. The roasted pumpkin cream that came with the chocolate cake was so tasty and refreshing. I wish I could buy a gallon of that stuff.

We've never done a wine pairing before and we enjoyed it. The wine went well with the food. I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol and I didn't even get a light buzz....that can be a pro or con depending on the person. I think next time we will just buy a bottle of wine.

Overall it was a very nice experience and we would like to come back for dinner sometime. Or better yet, stay in one of the resort's spectacular rooms.

Been to Sierra Mar? Share your experiences!