“Fantastic food and incomparable view”
Review of Sierra Mar

Sierra Mar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sierra Mar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: High atop the cliffs, offering breathtaking views is Sierra Mar, winner of Wine Spectator's prestigious Grand Award. Offering an unconventional fine dining experience, Executive Chef John Cox presents inquisitive food creations featuring ingredients highlighted by a sense of place and culture. Selections from the award-winning wine cellar enhance the innovative, inspired cuisine.
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stopped here for lunch on our drive down the coast from San Francisco. What a lovely interlude. I had heard of the Post Ranch Inn previously but had not had the chance to visit. The grounds are beautiful and the restaurant with its floor to ceiling windows, jaw dropping. It was a delightful lunch utilizing the freshest ingredients in creative ways, Kumamoto oysters with lemon basil seed mignonette, for example. Service was professional and warm, leaving us to linger as long as we wanted.

4  Thank duckleader

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Gorgoeous atmophere and nice wine selection had us looking forward to a great meal. The cauliflower soup was nice but it went downhill fast. The fish and wagyu were way overdone and the suckling pig had to be sent back as it was literally unedible (you couldnt chew through it). It was hands-down the worst food experience we've ever had.

12  Thank stephaniephx18
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Also a hotel . Very few places in the world can match the settings of the restaurant and the quality of the food & wine list. If you can be lucky enough (and $$$) to stay here and have either lunch or dinner you will never forget the experience. I have a short list of places I want to go back to - top ten.

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I always question a restaurant which doesn't show any effort to get customers in. I thought that Post ranch inn folks were quite content about the popularity of the restaurant and did not make much effort to secure us a place. Later on we joined a friend who happened to be there by chance. Many tables were empty throughout the night so no good yield management either. The location is great but I am not sure if I would recommend the place.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

The food was good but not $300 (for two!) great. Sierra Mar is one of those places where menu items are overly-described using flowery language. Too pretentious! I would say to go for lunch or go sit at the bar and have drinks at dinner time to watch the sunset. My husband had foie-gras that was frozen then shaved. Unique texture but as he said, "When I order foie-gras, I want a slab that I can put on some good bread" I had oysters that were sprinkled with balsamic vinegar beads and placed on dollops of meringue to hold them in place. Give me a break! Main courses consisted to Wagyu steak (three pieces worth) and lamb for me, also three pieces worth. Order a 1/2 bottle of wine for $50...Need I go on?

Our waiter was super nice but the hostess (Terri) needs to lighten up.

8  Thank LaFamilleAventureuse