“Extraordinary Vistas-Over Priced & Pretentious”
Review of Sierra Mar

Sierra Mar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sierra Mar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: High atop the cliffs, offering breathtaking views is Sierra Mar, winner of Wine Spectator's prestigious Grand Award. Offering an unconventional fine dining experience, Executive Chef John Cox presents inquisitive food creations featuring ingredients highlighted by a sense of place and culture. Selections from the award-winning wine cellar enhance the innovative, inspired cuisine.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The food was good but not $300 (for two!) great. Sierra Mar is one of those places where menu items are overly-described using flowery language. Too pretentious! I would say to go for lunch or go sit at the bar and have drinks at dinner time to watch the sunset. My husband had foie-gras that was frozen then shaved. Unique texture but as he said, "When I order foie-gras, I want a slab that I can put on some good bread" I had oysters that were sprinkled with balsamic vinegar beads and placed on dollops of meringue to hold them in place. Give me a break! Main courses consisted to Wagyu steak (three pieces worth) and lamb for me, also three pieces worth. Order a 1/2 bottle of wine for $50...Need I go on?

Our waiter was super nice but the hostess (Terri) needs to lighten up.

8  Thank LaFamilleAventureuse

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Someday I hope to stay there but I at least sampled the atmosphere of the place by dining there. The views were superb, the food and service, outstanding. Made me want to book a room right then and there.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Post Ranch Inn restaurant has the most beautiful view you can imagine looking out over the Pacific ocean. We had a great table up front looking straight out at the ocean but there were several others that also had a good view. the food was very good but not great. We had an excellent glass of wine and very nice service.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The presentation is great and service is fine, but someone forgot to mention its supposed to taste good. One course was made the chicken sausage from the local supermarket look favorable by comparison. Another course involved something that seriously tasted like styrofoam and was evidently inspired by the trend for supermodels to snack on tissue paper. Desert involved a lemon square that my mom would not be proud of and she knows she's not a good cook. The ambiance is sterile and cold. At least it was a memorable experience, just not in a good way.

9  Thank naplesinsider1
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Had the opportunity of dining again at Sierra Mar which is located on a mountain top on Post Ranch Inn. Having dined here many times before, today we were treated by a fantastic lunch which consisted of three courses. Our meal was "over the top" with each course building on the other to end with some very happy diners.

The chef is simply creative. Using local items (some of which is grown in his garden), the mixture of ingredients, textures and tastes puts Sierra Mar ABOVE THE REST.

With the entirely new menu, we are anxious to return...

If you are looking for the very finest restaurant in the most beautiful setting then this is the place.

1  Thank Rick R

Been to Sierra Mar? Share your experiences!