“If you get the opportunity to eat here, pass it up!”

Whale Watchers Cafe
Ranked #19 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This place is NOT ADA compliant. There are steps in front of all the entrances. Kinda hard to get an electric scooter in the dining room. The bathroom floors were wet. There was a water jug sitting on the sink to rinse your hands. The roof in the dining room was leaking on one of the chairs at our table. The waitress was very friendly and the service was pretty good. The menu had some pretty good choices but the prices were waaayyyyy out there for the value received. My wife and I decided to split a captain's plate and a bowl of chowder. Our friends split the fish and chips and a bowl of chowder. We had only water to drink. It cost more than $80.00! When I mentioned that the portions were pretty small for the price, I was told I could order another one if I was still hungry. I wouldn't stop here again on a bet.

1  Thank David A

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Super cute place. Diner menu. We got the fish and chips. The fish was good. The chips, not so good. Nice view. If you care about every meal you eat and are not in the mood for diner food, keep on going. If you're more flexible that way ... check it out.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is just nasty. Taste is horrible, service awful and prices unbelievably high! One veggie lasagne, one hamburger, one pasta and 3 sodas ended up at $ 82 and yes, they do add gratituity automatically on the bill. THIS IS THE WORST PLACE I EVER SET MY FOOT IN! The person named CallDee that give positive remarks below must be an employee (that should be unemployed as it should close...)!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were on our way to San Luis Obispo when we came upon this place. It looks like a cool restaurant, with a beautiful view. This is obviously what gets people in the door. The disappointment began as soon as we walked in. The waitresses were not very friendly. Not a smile. Not a welcome or a hello. After asking if it was open seating, we were told to sit wherever we wanted. We sat outside facing the ocean. The view is great. And the weather on this particular day was excellent. The weather is the only thing that kept us from walking out, and the fact that this place seems to have very little competition in terms of other restaurants in the area. After sitting down, nobody acknowledged our presence. We had to go up and get the menus ourselves. After a quick glance at the menus you immediately realize that the prices are outrageous. Ridiculous. We waited way too long for someone to take our order. Once we placed our order, it took way too long for the food to arrive. This was odd and frustrating because it was not that busy. Once the food did arrive, the disappointment continued. The food was way below average, which is unforgivable in any restaurant, but more so for this one due to the prices that they charge. I advise everyone to keep on driving unless, of course, you like being disappointed and throwing your money away.

2  Thank Reg D
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Upon reading the reviews I was quite hesitant on stopping. We were starving and decided to risk it. We ordered the captain's plate and the steak...it was surprisingly good. After the meal we ordered a slice of the home made cheesecake...ohhh man this is definitely something you need to try AMAZING!! The sunset is wonderful and the restaurant has a lot of history! Definitely a place to make a stop.

Been to Whale Watchers Cafe? Share your experiences!