New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Deetjen's Big Sur Inn Restaurant

Deetjen's Big Sur Inn Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 21 Restaurants in Big Sur
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Seattle, WA
“Good breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed at the inn and woke up to a yummy breakfast with my girlfriend. The french toast and the egg's Benedict were delicious. Very cozy... Good place for a couple.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank crumford

• Thai first
London
“Good food and old style decor with classical music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We dined here with family who were staying. The food was great and our server suggested a great bottle of red. It was a bit surreal for us cousins from Worcestershire to dine in Big Sur to the sound of Elgar. The restaurant runs through the downstairs rooms with some open fires, an intimate ambience and lots of anitquey gewgaws.

It's expensive. It's good. I get the impression from reviews that Brunch is good value if you want to go there on a tighter budget.

We were glad to staying at Ripplewood as its great value and the Deetjens cabins are close together and close to the road.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Los Angeles
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Amazing food but pricey. We really enjoyed our meal but I have to say that they're house cat that roams around the restaurant while patrons are eating dinner really grossed me out. Minus that bit, it was excellent. Roasted garlic and paella were awesome!

Visited December 2012
Lake Forest, California
“Two for two good food experiences”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Have gone to Deetjen's twice for dinner over a 2+ year period and was not disappointed either time. A bit pricey but worth it ..Service great and gracious, food also matched the service. Had duck 2 years ago and was great, this time the veggie pasta dish was the special of the night and nothing was left in my plate - very good. Originally recommended by a friend from Santa Cruz and her recommendation was a good one.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Los Angeles, CA
“Deetjen's for breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

When I asked where should I go for breakfast everyone said "Deetjen's" So glad I listened!! We ended up eating breakfast at Deetjen's two days in a row. Their eggs benedict are the best I've ever had anywhere...so good! The husband and I shared our benedicts and added a side of chicken apple sausage and bacon.. both times were absolutely delicious. The restaurant is one of the most charming restaurants I've ever been to and it's full of interesting history. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. Price is reasonable. Just go.

• Visited December 2012