“Bring your appetite!”

Fernwood Resort
Ranked #14 of 22 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Please call 831.667.2422 between 8 AM - 8 PM for lodging & camping reservationsFernwood Tavern hours are 12 Noon - Midnight, Sunday - Thursday12 Noon to 1:00 AM, Friday and Saturday.Redwood Grill Restaurant hours are 11:30 AM - 9:00 PM - Open everydayFernwood Resort47200 Highway 1Big Sur, CA 93920
Jacksonville, Florida
“Bring your appetite!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stopped in here while traveling the coast. My wife ran inside to take a quick look at the menu, then came back and said it looked like a fun place.

The decor was rustic and fun. A giant screen TV was on the wall, several board games available for play, and even a sofa with two easy chairs with a small library of books to read.

The food was really good and the serving sizes were huge. We shared the chicken quesadilla and a half order of the "big as your head nachos". I can't imagine what a full size serving would look like. We didn't come close to finishing the meal, even though it was delicious. There is also a full bar available.

I definitely recommend this place and will remember it the next time I pass through.

• Visited October 2013

Hertford, United Kingdom
“Good burgers”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Food was good. We have ordered burgers with fries. Place has tabes inside and outside. Those on the back are are much nices as are more far away from the road.

Visited September 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Spend the extra few bucks and get the jacuzzi room!!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a 2 part review, since we stayed in the motel and camped.

Motel:
We stayed in the hot tub room. Book it! It's like $40 extra and totally worth it if you are on a romantic vacation with your lover.

The room is modest, but the bed is comfortable. Honestly though, it's all about the hot tub on your private deck. It's clean and decent sized. The water is hot and stays hot. You actually fill the jacuzzi up yourself. It takes about 30 minutes, so turn it on and go to their general store and get some ice cream or pick up a yummy pizza from their restaurant and then come back to a little slice of heaven.

I am telling you, it's just perfect. The deck nestles up next to some beautiful trees and when you are in the jacuzzi, with a glass of wine, lights turned on low, you feel like you are WORLDS away.

My only complaint about this motel is the noise level inside the room. The walls are a little thin, and because it is right off Hwy 1, you hear a little road traffic. No biggee though. After hours of a soak, nothing really bothered us.

And now for the campground review:
We stayed at site 46 which is not river front, but right up against the woods, which was nice.

So, my husband and I do not have kids. That being said, the campground is perfect for children, maybe not so much for a childless couple who just wanted to enjoy the serene redwoods and sounds of the river. The campers around us were a little loud, playing their pop music well into the night. Found out later that our neighbors were camped with a big group and we were right in the middle of the families. I guess all of the adults went to have their campfire a few sites down without the kids and we were left with all of the kids next to us with their music. They were not horrible, but it did take away from our experience slightly. The campground felt very safe and there were so many kids riding bikes and running around. This campground is perfect for families.

The bathrooms were pretty clean, showers were nice and hot.

For the money, this place is perfect. We will be back at the motel (WITH THE JACUZZI), and will be back to the campground... when we have a few little squirts!

Visited August 2013
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
“Nothing to get excited about”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I recently had lunch here after exploring Big Sur and the mountains. The atmosphere and decor are rustic. The server was pleasant and effecient but the food was nothing to rave about, I have a big burrito and my wife had a redwood wrap with pesto dipping sauce. It filled us but would not go back specifically for the food. It is pleasant establishment but not memorable.

• Visited July 2013
Camarillo
“good food but...”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

small portions, overpriced. Food well made. Service a little slow, but waiter was very nice. Hmmm. I had eggplant parmesan. Nice, but not enough. Guinness on tap!

Visited July 2013