“great location, nice quiet room, bad smell”
Review of Ripplewood Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ripplewood Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Prescott, Az
“great location, nice quiet room, bad smell”
Reviewed October 29, 2008

I stayed in cabin 6. The place above all else was quiet, which was my main concern. There was however a noticeable odor which can only be described as a dirty cat litter smell. I would stay with Ripplewood again, but only in different cabin.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The smell
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whitetrashtraveler
Ripplewood, Manager at Ripplewood Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2008
We are pleased to let you know that as of November 1st, 2008, we have completed renovations on Cabin #6 in part due to your feedback. We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property.

We strive to ensure that every guest leaves Ripplewood Resort with a feeling of satisfaction, and that they received a great value for their stay.

We appreciate that you took the time to bring the issue with Cabin #6 to our attention. We hope you will provide us with the opportunity to have you as our guests in the future.

Please contact me at your convenience to discuss the possibility of your return to Ripplewood Resort.

Sean Shadwell
(831) 667-2242
info@ripplewoodresort.com

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Asheville, NC
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I loved the Ripplewood Resort. I stayed in Cabin 9 by the river. Nestled in a beautiful grove of tall redwoods (untouched by the fires) the cabin immediately appealed to me as soon as I walked in the door. It was simple and comfortable and felt as much like home as a nightly rental could. The staff I encountered were very nice but I didn't really have much contact - everything I needed was already there and I had no problems.

The location is wonderful. Highway 1 gets a lot of traffic and the noise carries. Although you can still hear the traffic from where you park your car, as soon as you go inside the cabin or out on the deck facing the river the highway noise is gone, replaced by the lovely sound of the river. I was there during a dry fall so the river was probably at its lowest but its pleasant gurgle still dominated the atmosphere. The cabins are spaced far enough apart that I felt very private even sitting outside on the very nice deck.

The only slight drawback is that most of the cabins are right across the river from a campground. Occasionally I heard noisy kids or big trucks emptying dumpsters in the campground. However, campgrounds enforce quiet times so there was no late night noise and when I closed my window as the evening got chilly I could no longer hear the campground but I could still hear the gurgle of the river. Also, sitting on the deck at night I enjoyed watching the campfires and their reflections on the river. So even the drawback had a plus side.

I have stayed at the Big Sur Lodge several times and liked it a lot because it was away from the road and closer to many trails. But Big Sur Lodge has priced itself out of my range, especially for what is no more than a moderately pleasant hotel room. Ripplewood Resort is not fancy but it is clean and comfortable, has much more to offer (full kitchen, private deck on river, etc.), and it is still very reasonably priced for the area. It is definitely my new favorite in the Big Sur area and I look forward to staying there again.

• Liked — Location in the redwoods by the river
  • Disliked — Campground across the river - but it wasn't a huge problem
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank walker42
Alexanc
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We stopped here for breakfast on our way to Pheiffer Falls. It was the best meal of our 5 day trip. When we walked into the rustic cabin restaurant we were greeted very warmly by the waiters. We were promptly given coffee and water and we asked for few special requests on our breakfast oders which were gladly noted by the waiter and prepared correctly by the cook. Our food looked unreal with the freshest fruit garnishing our plates. I love this place. The breakfast burrito with sausage and green chiles is to die for!

• Liked — Great food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alexanc
Arizona
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed here for a weekend retreat just to get away from home for a few days. I wanted a place to stay near the Bixbey Bridge and my travel companion wanted something outdoorsy- so this worked for both of us.

We stayed in a one bedroom cabin right by the river with a wood burning fireplace and a deck off of the bedroom- I think it was cabin 7. There were other cabins around, but the way they were situated, we really felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. We spent the days seeing the local natural attractions and taking photographs and relaxed by our campfire at night. The employee taking reservations was very polite and helpful when I called to reserve the cabin and there is a nifty general store where you check in. Also, the kitchen was pretty well equipped (with glasses, utnesils, etc.) for which we were thankful because we had forgotten a few things.

If you are looking for somwhere poliched and modern this is not the place for you. But if you enjoy nature and a peaceful time away from urban stress, these cabins are a nice get away.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank hhvdragon
HB, CA
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I've stayed in several cabins and campgrounds in the area and thought I'd give this place a try. Cabin 6 on the river is a cute old cabin and I paid $130 or so. Not bad considering the area. My problem was the bad smell that was in the entire cabin...very small cabin. When I first opened the door, it smelled like a dirty litter box. I couldn't stand the smell. They gave me a can of bathroom spray, but that only made it smell different, but not fresh. I think the bad smell came from the old carpet. Who knows. If you can get past the smell, this place has a beautiful view of the river, but is one of the only river side cabins without a deck. I think I'd rather stay at Riverside Cabins across the river.

On a side note, my parents stayed in cabin 11 up by the road and theirs had an old funny smell too, but not as bad. My sister stayed in Cabin 10, which was large and had no bad smell.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The smell
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank GE001
Ripplewood, Manager at Ripplewood Resort, responded to this review, October 20, 2008
We are sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.

We are currently in the process of renovating Cabin #6 based upon your feedback, and from our own investigation into the issue. We have removed the old carpeting, and are presently (Oct. '08) replacing the flooring for the unit. Additionally, we have put in a new bed.

Many of the cabins at Ripplewood resort were built in the 1920's and are made entirely of wood that was harvested in the Big Sur area during that time. Cabins of that age tend to take on their own "personality" over time, including sounds and smells. We run air fresheners in each cabin, every day to limit the odors from the fireplaces, and kitchens and do our best to keep the cabin fresh for the next guest.

We appreciate that you took the time to bring the issue with Cabin #6 to our attention. We hope you will provide us with the opportunity to have you as our guests at Ripplewood Resort again in the future.

Please contact us anytime with questions or concerns you may have.
nyc
Reviewed September 8, 2008

9.7 out of 10.

Why so high....?

.....This is because it was exactly what I we wanted, and exactly like what the website depicted. Part of our anniversary trip to California, we also visited LA and San Fran. Knowing that these were both urban settings, we wanted an overnight stop in Big Sur that would take us out of the city atmosphere and transport us into a world of tranquil relaxation.

Cabin No. 3 did just that. Think boring in a good way. A place where you can sit out on your back deck overlooking the river, drinking some vino, roasting some smores and perhaps if you are lucky, you will see a few shooting stars like we did.

Lets not forget you are sitting amongst 500 year old redwood trees right that tower the tallest building in most of your towns. I am an avid outdoorsman but Big Sur was really something else.

Our cabin was first and foremost, clean. Aside from that it was rustic but effecient. It was spacious, homey, and very comfortable. Did it feature a surround sound stereo and stainless steel appliances...? No! But thats why I stayed there!

Their own general store had everything you needed in terms of wine, beers, food, camping supplies, etc. The woman who checked us in had no problem with us getting in 2 hours early and she was more than helpful answering questions about the area.

Overall a phenomenal experience and if I passed through that region again, I would pray that they had an open cabin. They are an asset to the BIG SUR Coast and wish them the best of luck in the near future. I debated several spots in that area, but Ripplewood is, and will continue to be top notch.

Regards,
Kevin

P.S. Check my other posts, I have no connection to RW RESORT.

• Liked — serene atmosphere
  • Disliked — no ac, was a bit hot in the afternoon
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Crumz32
Devon, UK
Reviewed August 29, 2008

What a fantastic place!
We stayed in one of the smaller semi detached cabins on the hillside as that was all that was still available when I booked. A bigger one would probably have been even better but this was great.
There is something so special about staying in a log cabin. It was beautifully furnished and decorated with a bed, sofa and desk and and flowery curtains. There was an outside table, chairs and light.
We were aware of being near the road when we first arrived, but there is really not much traffic and we soon forgot it.
We ate breakfasts at the Ripplewood cafe, by the road - which was just fantastic. Really good cooking with nice touches like slices of fruit with everything and the best muffin I have ever eaten - and everyone so friendly and cheerful.

• Liked — sleeping in a log cabin, great cafe
  • Disliked — a bit near the road
#4 of 8 in Big Sur
Fernwood Resort
Fernwood Resort
#1 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Ripplewood Resort? Share your experiences!