“Good place to stay in Big Sur” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ripplewood Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ripplewood Resort
You added Ripplewood Resort to your Saves list
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
London
“Good place to stay in Big Sur”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We broke up our journey between SF and Cambria with one night's stay in a cabin. It was perfectly fine for one night and enjoyed the sound of the nearby river/creek. Not sure I'd want to stay for several days but the cabin had everything we would want. Made a great change to impersonal hotels.

Service at the desk at store over the road where you collect keys could be friendlier. Bit brusque and weren't very forthcoming with information.

1 Thank JAMC7

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Peterborough, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We really like rustic places so we booked here. This place is basic at best and overpriced for basic. We had no hot water. The place was cold so the fireplace at least helped. The highway runs right through the middle of this spot therefore not as quiet as we hoped. We phoned (since this is the only way you can book) and booked cabin 6 in August, we received a verbal confirmation number and the cost for our October stay. When we arrived, the cabin we had booked was not the one we received and the cost was $40 more. They asked for our email confirmation which we never received since they wrote down the wrong email address even though we spelled everything out. There was nothing they would do at the time and in emailing with the owners upon our return home, they offered us a discounted rate for our next visit. We live out of the country and will never return and all we wanted was the difference ($40) between the rate we booked and the rate they charged. This is likely equal to a discount for a future trip. Wasn't going to happen. They already had our money. We were even blamed for not following up on our email confirmation that we never received. Really!! Very disappointing. I'm sure there are better places to stay in Big Sur who understand customer service. This is not one of them. On the other hand, if you are in the area, go to Nepenthe for dinner - fabulous meal and great views.

12 Thank Brenda T
Monterey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here with some friends on October 16, 2012. The weather in California that week was phenomenal, to say the least. There was an off-shore flow that pushed the marine layer well out in to the Pacific Ocean and warmed the normally chilly air. It was fantastic!
The management was kind enough to let us check in early, about 3 hours early!!! Very nice of them despite the claims of others here that customer service is lacking. It is not!
The cabin is set up with all necessary to live comfortably. The kitchen is stocked with glasses, plates, utensils, etc. There are outside pits fro fires and fireplaces inside too. Bring extra wood with you if you are going to cook outside or use the fire for heat inside.
Cabin 15 has one bedroom with a Queen bed in it and there is another Queen and Twin in the Main Room. This setup could accommodate 5 or 6 persons but would be cramped.
This resort is a great place to make a base camp for daily excursions in to Big Sur and all it has to offer. Check out some of the beaches in the area if you go, you owe it to yourself to see the natural beauty of the California Coastline. Bring a camera with you because your friends will not believe your description when you tell them how nice it is in California!

Room Tip: Cabins away from the highway. It is soooooo quiet at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dan M
Irvine, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I decided to drive up highway 1. One of our stops was in big sur so I looked up this cabin on trip advisor and yelp and decided to make a reservation. They took all of my credit card information and confirmed the transaction. I asked them to email me a receipt which they weren't able to do. So I called them back and made sure that my email in their system was correct, which it was. We finally left our trip and after hours of driving reached the destination. The lady told me that our reservation was canceled and that our room was given to another tenant. I was very dissapointed because they actually charged me a cancellation fee on top of canceling the reservation without my knowledge. We were pretty much left stranded to find our own place. I have never given a place a bad review but their customer service was appalling.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
20 Thank Zainab H
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I stopped in Cabin 4 for 4 nights in October, not knowing quite what to expect.
It was great, no cell phone, no internet, no TV, just a nice quiet cabin by the river.

The cabin was basic but fine for what we needed, and it's a cabin in the woods, not a hotel suite after all.

Fire pit outside and log burning stove as well as a normal heater inside.

Location was good, not far off the main attractions in the area, parks, beaches, trails etc.

There are a few words of advice.
It's Big Sur, so everything seems quite expensive, eating out was good, plenty of choice, but shopping for groceries was pricey, cans of soup for around $4, so if you're on a budget, buy what you can carry and use down there food wise.

There isn't a laundry on site, but the camp site next door lets you use their laundry with no day fees, it was $2.00 for wash, and $1.25 for tumble dry if I remember, plus we had to buy a little bottle of liquid clothes detergent, so bear that in mind.

I would stop here again if I were driving Highway 1, just a little better informed of the prices, so I'd buy stuff in monterey if I were heading south.

Room Tip: I think the site is split in 2, with Highway 1 dividing them, if you want a quieter cabin, aim for t...
3 Thank BrianA1970
Vancouver BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The location relative to Big Sur's sights is ideal. The location in the treed forest by the river is picturesque. The nights are quiet. The bed very comfortable and the cabin amenities basic but in good order and clean. It is a cabin in the woods. It is a little pricey for what you get but supply and demand dictates. If you want to be close to everything and sleep well, this is your place. We stayed in the cabin closest to the campground across the creek but were not bothered by any noise. If I returned to Big Sur, I would stay again at Ripplewood

Room Tip: Stay in a cabin on the river.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wendle65inBC
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Our family of four stayed here one night on our waysouth along the highway. We stayed in cabin 8, which sits down the hill, off the highway, right beside a shallow creek which our kids loved playing in. The cabin was two bedrooms plus a kitchen and bathroom. The cabin was basic, but everything was perfectly clean and it was decorated tastefully. The kitchen was fully equipped although we didn't use any of it as we had our own things. The cabin has an open fire in one of the bedrooms and a firepit outside. If we had of been better prepared, the firepit would have been a great spot to cook up some steaks for dinner. If you are looking for someone for dinner, head south along the highway to Redwood Grill. We ate dinner hear and the food was spectacular. If you read on the menu that the nachos is as big as your head, believe it!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
La Playa Carmel
#5 of 25 in Carmel
4.5 of 5 stars 680 reviews
Quail Lodge & Golf Club

Been to Ripplewood Resort? Share your experiences!