“The Good and the Bad of Big Sur Campground & Cabins” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Sur Campground & Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Sur
Big Sur Campground & Cabins
Northern California
“The Good and the Bad of Big Sur Campground & Cabins”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2007

I have mixed things to say about this campground. If you are tent camping I think it is a terrible choice. The tent spots are tiny and you will be between 2 RVs. The only privacy of the tent sites is the side of you RV neighbor.
RVS - The RV sites will fit the various sizes of RVs and then there is a picnic table, fire ring and enough room for about 4 chairs. Our friends had 3 RV sites and liked that they were close to each other, but if you don't want to spend your vacation on top of your new neighbors, don't stay here.
Cabins- There are a few choices of cabins - Duplex, A-frame and Single cabins. The Duplexs are cheaper, but you share a fire ring and table. The A-frames looked good from the outside and offered a lot more privacy, but are very expensive. We stayed in the single cabin. It was very clean, cute with everything you would need, but small for 4 people. The small couch (futon) in the living room makes into a bed that is supposed to sleep 2, but only fit one child. Luckily we brought a blow up mattress for our other child! The cabin I stayed in was a single-wide moblie home. The siding was wood and made to look like a cabin. We paid 250/ night for this (WAY too expensive, but everything is in Big Sur)
The Good - The Big Sur River runs through the property and the kids had a fantastic time tubing on the small rapids. You can rent tubes or buy them at the next campground. The campground has a basketball court with balls provided and a play ground with tons of kids playing at ALL times. The kids loved all of it. Happy Hour ice cream is 50 cents.
The Bad - Everything is too close!!! and crowded!!!! Very noisy during the day, especially if you are near the basketball court and playground.
Best Sites - Camping 25, 27, 21, 23, 19, 45 and 47
RV - 99 and 100 (Dont pick 75, 77,79,80, 81, 82 or 83).
Cabins - 64, 60 or 66
Sites 1 - 13 are very close to a steep river bank (not for little kids, teens will love it)
Sites 105 - 109 also are against a nice slope down to the river, but these sites are right on to of each other.

Conclusion - Stay at the State Park Campground if possible - the sites are 5 times, bigger, private and cheaper. Also the campground next door at Riverside looked nicer to me too.

• Liked — Floating down the river
  • Disliked — Too crowded!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
15 Thank Retrodaisy

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

Called on Tuesday August 7th, said they had someone cancel one the cabins. We took it, thought we had a cabin to our selves.

After booking saw mixed reviews about the place. I called back and asked if they were cabins or mobile homes, told me they were cabins, I referred to reviews and their website and said your website is a bit misleading.

They assured me that is was nice, we would have our own private pit, was stand alone, made it sound fantastic at $150 a night. I felt a little ok, but something still bothering me so I called on Thursday the day we were leaving as I read some more reviews about some cabins are a duplex.

So, I called on Thursday, this is the 3 call and final got an honest answer and was told that yes it was a duplex but assured me that had our own firepit, I said I was not sure and would see when we arrived. Well we arrived, yes it was a duplex and we had to share a firepit and table....who does this. We were fine with the duplex but when you go camping you do not go camping and share a fire pit and table, its uncomfortable.

Well I went to talk to them and one of the young men said, sorry but we can not build you a firepit or give a new cabin, did not offer a discount at all as the campsite was booked. He was so rude. I asked when the Manager would be in and he told me the next day.

The next day I go and talk to the manger, starts with R_ _ K and explained how it took 3 calls to get an answer that yes, it fact it was a mobile home duplex, but no one said anything about sharing a fire pit and table. I was calm and collected when I talked to him, hoping as a manager he would fix the problem. He kept asking what would you like us to do. I asked him to do the right thing...his response, well we can not build you a new cabin, or a firepit, and we can't kick out the neignbors... I was shocked that he as a manager would say these things.

All I wanted him to say was sorry about this let me give you a discount and things would have been fine and I would not be writing this down right now.

Well Sunday came by and we were ready to check out, the girl asked if everything was fine...I said well there were some issues and as I was saying this to her, the same manager comes walking up does not say hello, completly ignores me...I said to the girl well he knows all about this and hopefully he will do something about it but no he just kept walking into the office.

I wish I could contact the owners or something...but I just want to inform people about this campsite. There are plenty of other sites.

Stayed August 2007
14 Thank opuscilly
Grants Pass, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed here for the second week of July. We have a family camping trip every year and have stayed several places over the years. This campsite has the same characteristics as any other. The sites are spacious. They have ample room between fellow campers. The shower/restroom facilities were spotless. It seemed like they serviced them serveral times a day. The kids really love the soft serve ice cream in the evening. The playground was a hit with them also. The 10:00PM quiet time is tastfully enforced. The adults had the lucky oportunity to have Grandma watch the kids while we hiked down the road to the bar at the Big Sur River Inn. The bar has a great staff and a great time was had by all. The weather is a bit cool for summer. This was very refreshing as we knew back home was over a 100 degrees. The campsites near the river are not good for young children as there is a very steep bank that is dangerous. We had to move to a different site, but the staff was great help. I would recommend this to anybody. The other reviews just seem to reflect people that should just stay in a motel.

• Liked — Nice quiet evenings, cool weather, great location.
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank barleyhunter
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2007

This place is nothing more than terrible. We felt like in a refugee camp! In fact, we checked earlier because we were not enjoying at all. Overcrowded, overpriced, noisy, dirty..what else! Their website...even my 8 year old said: this is false advertisment!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — overcrowded, overpriced, noisy and dirty
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank camperCalifornia
orange county,ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

Stayed here two different nights in July of 2007. Very friendly staff, FREE hot showers, and great scenery. Close to beaches, and hiking. Sites are close to each other; but also seemed as each site had several cars per parking area. If people had planned better, and carpooled, there would be less car clutter. A great place to camp. Let's remember camping means enjoying the outdoors and relaxing; not worrying about what your neighbors are doing.

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank camper100
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

My wife and I stayed there this last weekend. We booked the place based on the location and pictures/desriptions from their website. Upon arrival our "most private cabin" was a trailer connected to another trailer within 10' from an RV firepit wich had some of the worst late night joketellers I have everheard (very loud). That was all right across a small trail from the basketball courts where the balls bounced continously throughout the day.

Inside the cabin/trailer was clean and pleasant. Staff was very friendly and gave us a credit for the rest of our stay.

I might return, only to camp at a river site in the dead of winter.

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank lowdowndirtytruth
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

We stayed here over the 4th of July holiday. The campground is very clean! The bathrooms were nice & were cleaned frequently during the night & day. The kids loved tubing on the river. The tubes can be rented for a few dollars right in the campground. There is plenty of room on the sandy shore for the adults to set up chairs to watch the kids. The staff is very friendly! The best sites are on the river, but don't include hookups. The RV sites are adequate. The playground was a big hit with the kids, too! We would come back again.

• Stayed July 2006
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,165 reviews
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Big Sur Campground & Cabins? Share your experiences!