“Good first camping experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Sur
Big Sur Campground & Cabins
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was technically my first time camping, although we did have an RV so it wan't real camping I'm told. But we had 2 sites (10 and 11) because we had a total of 9 people and a dog. These two sites were spacious because we had room for cars, RV and 3 tents. We mostly stayed around site 11 and just setup the tents at site 10. We didn't use the table or firepit at 10 because it was too far away. It may have been better for us to get sites 11 and 13.

But most people are correct in that some of the campsites are packed in there. Also, we were across from the playground and there are children playing right at 8am. We also had a pathway down to the river in between our campsites and often had people walking through to get to the river, which was a little annoying. To get an idea of which sites are good or not, check out this review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g240329-d295074-r8708203-Big_Sur_Campground_Cabins-Big_Sur_California.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Other than that, I'm told the bathroom/showers were some of the cleanest.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Big Sur Campground & Cabins

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This place looks great on the website and in many ways it was - location is just off the highway but surrounded by beautiful redwoods. We stayed in a camping cabin - basically a wooden hut but with a perspex roof so you can lie in bed and look up to the trees - good but the roof needs to be cleaned more than it is for you to really enjoy this! No heating in the room but despite it being a cold night we were warm enough with the provided bedding. The mattress is solid foam which I haven't slept on since I was a student but it was surprisingly comfortable. The facilities (showers, toilets) are shared so your average campground - not overly private! My main disappointment was the issue we had with our booking. We pulled in and booked and paid for a cabin the night before - and went to have a look at the cabin they said we could have which was right on the river. As the previous 2 nights accommodation had been in average motels we were looking forward to being in the forest, next to the river and the campground on the other side with no-one in it. When we arrived the next day to check in however, that cabin was somehow no longer available - despite us having paid in full the previous night - and we were given one right at the back of the property, far from the river and surrounded by other cabins and RVs. We were annoyed and the offer to make up for it was a load of wood for the fire - which we passed on. While the cabin we stayed in was the same, we were disappointed - and walked past the cabin we were supposed to be in after dinner and it was in darkness with no car parked next to it, and it was also car-less the next morning at 7am - so I am not sure what the issue was. I also think it is overpriced for what you get - but this was my general experience up and down the Big Sur coast. There is also no wireless but you can get free wireless at the pub - which did a good dinner and has a great range of beer on tap. Deetjens down the road does a FANTASTIC breakfast and the service was excellent.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank geekgirl_11
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

A little pricey but it's all about location. We were early season so under trees it was a little cool. Imagine in the summer that is a blessing. There were some brave souls using the inner tyres they hire out to go down the river though! Washrooms basic but clean. A small store and restaurant just along the road. firepits and benches on most pitches. This was fairly busy even early season, although we just turned up as it was mid week and were ok.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Georgina S
Reviewed April 17, 2013

On our way through California we knew we wanted to stay somewhere in the Big Sur vicinity and do something a little more outdoors. From our home in boston we did enough research to know that this campground and cabin spot was for us. The booking was easy (we made it nearly 6 months before the trip). Full disclosure, we stayed there two night, one night in a cabin and one night in a tent cabin. The first night we stayed in the cabin, which had one parking spot, and a front porch with a fire pit right outside the door. The cabin was heated via a gas fireplace which was night as it was a chilly night. The cabin was as clean and was stocked with all the necessities. Linens were provided and the bed was freshly made and the like. The bathroom was actually as nice as the one from the hotel in San Fran we just came from.

The second night we stayed in a tent cabin, and after a ten mile hike through a nearby state park we slept wonderful. Keep in mid the ten cabin is not heated but does has the clean linens and a freshly made bed. Again the fire pit was right outside the porch area. The fire pits cam in handy for cooking dinner each night as we didn't bring camping equipment with us across the country. Keep in mind that these tent cabins don't have bathrooms so use of the communal facilities are necessary. The showers were clean and well taken care of!

The park is kind of in the middle of nowhere so bring plenty of food even though there is a "store" at the campground. The store sells camping stuff and a small amount of snacks and refreshments.

Great place to spend a few nights and explore!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jinca
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This establishment discriminates against young people. Last week I called to inqure about reserving a cabin for 6 people and was told that Cabin C would accomadate our needs. I explained to the woman there that I would be reserving the cabin for my 21 year old son and 5 of his friends and was told that would be fine as long as they abided by the grounds' quiet hours. They are non-disruptive boys who do not drink or party and were just looking for some good hiking around Big Sur, so that was not going to be a problem. When I tried to book the cabin tonight, however, it was a different story. I spoke with Brian and began the booking process. When he asked the ages of the people who would be staying in the cabin, I told him the same thing I told the woman last week. That is when his tune changed. I was informed that they would not be able to accomadate them. He said that Cabin C could not hold 6 people, even though the website and the woman I spoke with last week both said that it did (in fact, it is specifically listed as the cabin to use for parties of 6 people). I tried to explain this to him, but he was adamant, and refused to assist me further. I even tried calling back 30 minutes later to see if I would be able to talk to someone else, but it was Brian again and as soon as he realized it was me booking, he refused to help me further. I called him out on the fact that the website said Cabin C was for 6 people and on the fact that he was discriminating against people because of their age. He then said that the cabin was gone, claiming that it had been booked since I had talked to him (30 minutes before). I have stayed at Big Sur Campgrounds and Cabins before and had a decent stay, which is why I was planning on booking it for my son and his friends. However, I will NEVER stay here again, and I urge others not to patronize this establishment. I realize that some 21 year old boys may have a certain reputation, but these are good boys. There is no where on the website that says that they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Brian also claimed that his manager was listening to his conversation with me and agreed with him. If this is how Big Sur is going to treat their guests, I will not return there, and I will make sure that everyone I know who may be thinking of staying there knows this as well.

Stayed: February 2013
19  Thank Linda L
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We camped here over Christmas and found the campground to be beautiful. We camped near the raging river - loved the sound. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We got some great hiking advice for a fantastic trail that was not marked. We would not have found it on our own.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Karen C
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This review is for the campground, not for the cabins. And, anything negative I have to say has nothing to do with the campground, which is lovely and clean, or the staff who were helpful, sweet and fun to chat with.

Pros:
* Great, central location near everything you could want to do and see
* Really fun experience of floating down the river in the inner tubes they have for rent
* Great, little store on site
* Playground for the kids
* Walking distance on quiet trail to shops and restaurant at Big Sur River Inn

Cons:
* Campsites are packed very close together, which means dealing with....
* Other campers who like to blare their music
* Other campers who don't respect quiet hours
* Other campers who don't make their kids observe quiet hours
* Other campers who get into yelling fights about quiet hours
* Other campers who leave their trash everywhere
* Other campers who leave a gnarly mess in the showers

I would love to stay here again, but I will definitely bring ear plugs for all of my family members.

Room Tip: Ask for a site away from the playground and showers where it is noisiest.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#1 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Big Sur Campground & Cabins? Share your experiences!