“Great Location around Great Hiking”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Sur
Big Sur Campground & Cabins
Reviewed April 17, 2013

On our way through California we knew we wanted to stay somewhere in the Big Sur vicinity and do something a little more outdoors. From our home in boston we did enough research to know that this campground and cabin spot was for us. The booking was easy (we made it nearly 6 months before the trip). Full disclosure, we stayed there two night, one night in a cabin and one night in a tent cabin. The first night we stayed in the cabin, which had one parking spot, and a front porch with a fire pit right outside the door. The cabin was heated via a gas fireplace which was night as it was a chilly night. The cabin was as clean and was stocked with all the necessities. Linens were provided and the bed was freshly made and the like. The bathroom was actually as nice as the one from the hotel in San Fran we just came from.

The second night we stayed in a tent cabin, and after a ten mile hike through a nearby state park we slept wonderful. Keep in mid the ten cabin is not heated but does has the clean linens and a freshly made bed. Again the fire pit was right outside the porch area. The fire pits cam in handy for cooking dinner each night as we didn't bring camping equipment with us across the country. Keep in mind that these tent cabins don't have bathrooms so use of the communal facilities are necessary. The showers were clean and well taken care of!

The park is kind of in the middle of nowhere so bring plenty of food even though there is a "store" at the campground. The store sells camping stuff and a small amount of snacks and refreshments.

Great place to spend a few nights and explore!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jinca
There are newer reviews for Big Sur Campground & Cabins

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This establishment discriminates against young people. Last week I called to inqure about reserving a cabin for 6 people and was told that Cabin C would accomadate our needs. I explained to the woman there that I would be reserving the cabin for my 21 year old son and 5 of his friends and was told that would be fine as long as they abided by the grounds' quiet hours. They are non-disruptive boys who do not drink or party and were just looking for some good hiking around Big Sur, so that was not going to be a problem. When I tried to book the cabin tonight, however, it was a different story. I spoke with Brian and began the booking process. When he asked the ages of the people who would be staying in the cabin, I told him the same thing I told the woman last week. That is when his tune changed. I was informed that they would not be able to accomadate them. He said that Cabin C could not hold 6 people, even though the website and the woman I spoke with last week both said that it did (in fact, it is specifically listed as the cabin to use for parties of 6 people). I tried to explain this to him, but he was adamant, and refused to assist me further. I even tried calling back 30 minutes later to see if I would be able to talk to someone else, but it was Brian again and as soon as he realized it was me booking, he refused to help me further. I called him out on the fact that the website said Cabin C was for 6 people and on the fact that he was discriminating against people because of their age. He then said that the cabin was gone, claiming that it had been booked since I had talked to him (30 minutes before). I have stayed at Big Sur Campgrounds and Cabins before and had a decent stay, which is why I was planning on booking it for my son and his friends. However, I will NEVER stay here again, and I urge others not to patronize this establishment. I realize that some 21 year old boys may have a certain reputation, but these are good boys. There is no where on the website that says that they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Brian also claimed that his manager was listening to his conversation with me and agreed with him. If this is how Big Sur is going to treat their guests, I will not return there, and I will make sure that everyone I know who may be thinking of staying there knows this as well.

Stayed: February 2013
19  Thank Linda L
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We camped here over Christmas and found the campground to be beautiful. We camped near the raging river - loved the sound. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We got some great hiking advice for a fantastic trail that was not marked. We would not have found it on our own.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Karen C
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This review is for the campground, not for the cabins. And, anything negative I have to say has nothing to do with the campground, which is lovely and clean, or the staff who were helpful, sweet and fun to chat with.

Pros:
* Great, central location near everything you could want to do and see
* Really fun experience of floating down the river in the inner tubes they have for rent
* Great, little store on site
* Playground for the kids
* Walking distance on quiet trail to shops and restaurant at Big Sur River Inn

Cons:
* Campsites are packed very close together, which means dealing with....
* Other campers who like to blare their music
* Other campers who don't respect quiet hours
* Other campers who don't make their kids observe quiet hours
* Other campers who get into yelling fights about quiet hours
* Other campers who leave their trash everywhere
* Other campers who leave a gnarly mess in the showers

I would love to stay here again, but I will definitely bring ear plugs for all of my family members.

Room Tip: Ask for a site away from the playground and showers where it is noisiest.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank MagyarfromCA
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Overall, Staff are extremely friendly and professional. The grounds are very rustic and nature at it's best. Great place if you have kids and/or dogs. Kids have a basketball court, river to go inner tubing down the river, playground to exhaust the kiddies. If you gave a dog, there is a minimal daily fee depending on your campground location. I believe if your in a traditional pitch tent or RV/trailer it's $5 per day per dog and $15 in a tent cabin. Dogs are never allowed in or around cabins decks. The tent cabins have been updated with a new shaped roof with a clearer frosted material so sun easily greets you in the morning. The cabin also gained more space. In prior years, I cabined a queen bed and other small pcs of plastic furniture. But this year, it still has a queen bed AND a built in platform that stretches one entire wall. The thigh high platform also had a cushion about half the length. Tent dab in includes a lively porch, resin chairs, two towels, mini body soaps for use in the property's bathroom/shower building, of which is always cleaned by housekeeping on a routine schedule. Housekeeping also freshens up your tent cabins by fixing your bedding (they provide pillows, blankets and bedspreads too) and a quick sweep of your cabin floor. We also had a picnic table and a BBQ pit. The regular cabins were like little homes. It's equipped with dishes, pots, stove, cabinets, living roo, bathroom and bedrooms. Cabins were very cozy with electric fireplaces (not sure if they all have) . Don't forget afternoon social hour with soft serve ice cream, root beer floats (with a local root beer called SPARKYS) . They even a super mini store, for little things you might have forgotten. A few hundred feet there s a nearby shopping village with a restaurant, convenience store and a art collection gallery and others I can't remember. Just a few tidbits....be prepared to enjoy nature, very little or no cell or wifi service, major grocery store (Safeway and SAVEMART) are in carmel, ca (which is about 26 miles north of campgrounds), if you need dry ice, go to SAVEMART (Safeway doesn't carry), extra roll of toilet paper (in case there out, when you visit late into the super dark nights), be aware they have a quiet time, to insure a peaceful night experience. Quiet time starts at 10pm. Overall, we will be back. It started with a small family and keeps growing each year. Oh please book early, as it gets booked quickly especially weekends. We always book for following year while we are there or a couple days later. It's our family weekend getaway for the last 3 years.

Room Tip: Book early. Try tent cabins if you want to do glamping (glamour camping) but if you want a homelike...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nenegal
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We just stayed at this campground we had cabin 101, soooo amazing clean comfy and everything you need. We had a nice deck fire pit BIG grass area in front and right on the river. We were also next to the basketball court which was fun since we have 3 yr old twin boys they have balls for your use. There is also a playground and you can get games at the front for free as well as hot coffee. Everyone we talked to was extremely nice, as for location great very close to great hikes and we even drove to carmel for a few hrs one day only took us 25 min.
The cabin has everything dishes, extra pillows, paper towels, coffee, oven, fridge, it was perfect we will be back for sure. Best family trip yet!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Tara23Andy
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I had camped here before and not had a problem, but this past weekend I felt very subjected by one member of the staff. We were a group of two couples in our late twenties The woman told us 7 times before we left check in that we needed to adhere to quiet hours and not party. We came for a relaxing quiet weekend! She continued to badger us at our campsite later in the afternoon. Unfortunately, I don't think she told the families that were near us the same rules and we woke up way before quiet hours ended due to children running and screaming. The woman needs to stop making assumptions because this time she was 100% wrong and lost the campsite a customer for life.

On top of the judgy staff, the campsites are small, its 4 times more expensive than other nearby sites, and the staff has no issue with parents let their children run crazy at 7am.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#1 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Big Sur Campground & Cabins? Share your experiences!