“Perfect!”

and 1 more site!
Fernwood Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Big Sur B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 15, 2007

My boyfriend and I went up to Big Sur from Los Angeles on a complete spur of the moment one night trip. For what we paid ($90) I didnt know what to expect. When we got there I was impressed with the service and the location! It was on a little hill and the river was just a short walk down a few stairs. We had a gorgeous view of the river from our room. One hitch, our firplace didnt work and after telling the front desk they said they would send someone and they never did. I got a load of apologies from management the next day, and we didnt mind because we checked in so late. (9 PM) We didnt think anyone would be available anyway. Loved it, wish we had more time, and will be going back!

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank supersprode
There are newer reviews for Fernwood Resort

Reviewed January 3, 2007

We really enjoyed our stay at the Fernwood and it was even on a Saturday night! I read Trip Advisor before booking rooms anywhere and after reading some of the reviews didn't know what to expect. Since going to Big Sur to me was about communing with nature, I'm not sure I'd want to stay in a real fancy place. The Fernwood felt "just right" and the temperature in December was great for hiking at all the nearby state parks. Julia Pfeiffer and Andrew Molena were spectacular!

As it turns out, our room was very clean and cozy with the gas stove. Yes, the shower was small but updated and again quite clean. Mattress was comfortable. We had a great dinner at the Redwood Grill, enjoyed meeting some other tourists staying in the area, and even listened to the band for a few hours. Maybe it was because the windows were shut, but we couldn't hear the band at all once we left the grill and our room was on the same side.

The general store is convenient and if you're into art, Sofanya's Gallery next to the grill is a great place to buy funky jewelry, great artwork or just get inspiration for your own paintings. To me that was a real plus of staying there.

If you've got an open mind and don't want a generic experience, then the Fernwood is a good choice... We would stay there again!

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank Bellefontaine
Reviewed October 20, 2006

I just spent a couple nights at the Fernwood Motel, and I will definitely return (probably in a hot tub room next time). I tend to rely on the most recent reviews on Trip Advisor, which proved to be a good practice on this trip. Many of the complaints I read below are now out-of-date—the motel’s manager told me she reads the reviews and tries to address concerns. So, for example, the rooms now have clock radios.

I was pleased with the room. The curtains weren’t the high-end hotel blackout version, but they weren’t sheets, either. They even matched the bedspread. The room had plenty of light, with lamps on both bedside tables and a floor lamp. No dresser but the closet held a luggage rack. With my bike and cooler, plus the luggage rack and the reading chair, I still had plenty of room to move around. The shower was a tad small, but I’m almost 6-feet tall, and I managed somehow to shave my legs, and the water was hot—very key. The towels were a bit thin but in abundant supply. I wasn’t sure whether to expect toiletries, based on other reviews, so I unnecessarily brought my own. Fernwood supplied two bars of soap and shampoo and conditioner. No hair dryer, though. Most importantly, the room and the bathroom were very clean.

It’s true the rooms face the highway, but that seems to be the case for all of the places along this stretch of Big Sur. I brought my white noise machine and slept fine (of course, it was during the off-season). I had a room with the faux fireplace, and it worked well.

The bar was fun and reasonably priced. I wouldn’t call the Redwood Grill a “restaurant,” though. You order at a counter, and someone brings you your food in the bar. I thought it was kind of overpriced, although that seems typical of the area. I had chicken quesadillas one night and a gyro the next—they were both adequate. I thought about checking out one of the restaurants nearby but lacked the energy. So it was nice having the bar and general store right on the premises.

All in all, I would recommend the Fernwood. You’re unlikely to spend much time in the room—that’s not why you visit the area—and it’s more than sufficient for sleeping, etc.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank ChiTownTransplant
Reviewed October 15, 2006

the fernwood is a typical camping/cabin/motel set up- don't kid yourself and have any expectations. they have tried to make some improvements to make it charming, but i don't think they quite succeeded. looks like they recently repainted the inside of the (tiny) rooms. the only heat source is a faux "stove". there are no tv's in the room (but they can be rented for $10/night. no reception though, so only for movie rental). the bathroom is tiny with a small stand up shower that you can hardly turn around in. bathroom had a pretty strong sewer smell in it, so much that we slept with the door shut. the mini general store/lodge area is cute and clean. the employees were very helpful, good natured, and.... laid back. the food at the attched restaurant was good, but had a very limited menu. they were pretty good about keeping the noise down after 10pm. i'd stay there again if there was nothing else in the price range ($105) in the area.

• Stayed: September 2006
Reviewed October 3, 2006

I understood this was a basic motel, but one of few budget options in Big Sur, and I found the Fernwood comfortable, friendly and enjoyable. The BBQ dinner was very good and the live music is a plus and not too close to the rooms. Since this is a small property however it was difficult to find mid-evening parking outside the room, even on a motorcycle. Also, I don't think properties should charge a higher rate for a fireplace during the summer when these are turned off.

• Stayed: September 2006
Reviewed September 6, 2006

Had a wonderful time...spent 2 days...eat the bbq platter, it's really good. We loved the atmosphere, the motel room was clean and the staff was friendly. Would defenetly go bk. Take to hike to Phifer beach, the waterfall is beautiful and remember to pack warm clothes. We will remember this trip for the rest of our lives, thanks fernwood and fernriver in Felton for helping us have an awesome trip!

Julia and Jason

Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#1 of 2 in Big Sur
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!