“is good, is bad” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fernwood Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Sur
Fernwood Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Big Sur B&B and Inns
Sacramento
“is good, is bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

The resort...lol... its a motel with a campground and some cabins. It has the food and a bar too but that still does not make it a resort. The sign gave hope to a decent price rate for a room, well for $125.00 per night, you would think that the place would have a nicer exterior. We then hoped for cool quirkiness. Quirky yes, cool no. Food and beverages must be purchased seperately, great server, funny, knew his menu. The bartender al though was narcisstic, and I got the impression we were imposing on his time on the computer. It turns out he was playing chess. The rooms were clean, minus tv's and telephones, but that was ok.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2009

I just did not feel very welcome by the reception staff here both when I checked in and when I left. The rooms are o.k. but there are no TVs which is o.k. in Big Sur. It is in about the middle of Big Sur so if you decide to stay here stay early enough so you do not end up driving in the dark like I did. I didn't eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on that.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank LeftFork
Inland Empire, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

I will preface this review by saying that we are Camper's. We are the kind of campers that spend 4, 5 or even 6 days in the middle of nowhere with just our tent and camping gear. We can rough it and LIKE IT!

So with that said:

We came up to Big Sur for Thanksgiving and had a great time. We took in several of the local hiking trails (talk to the guy at the hiking info shop), ate a Thanksgiving Dinner at the Redwood Grill and had the pleasure of experiencing wild turkey's, roosters and deer from our tent cabin. Awesome!

The Tent Cabins are close together and making good with your neighbors does seem to be a wise move however we found that "most" of the people up there seem to have the same idea in mind. Peace and quiet and serenity and relaxation. Overall the neighbors were a non-factor. Highway 1 is close and you can hear the occasional Harley rolling by but again, I found even that really hard to distract me from the beauty and enjoyment of it all.

The kids had a great time playing near (and in, BURR) the water while Mom and I viewed from the always burning campfire. The accommodations were nice as tent cabins go. Big beds with mattress's just comfortable enough to know that you weren't sleeping on the ground. They even had "housekeeping" that came around most days to empty trash for you and sweep out your tent, if you so chose. The coin operated showers are clean and well maintained and were appreciated by us at least every other day.

All of the reviews siting poor service were completely unfounded as far as our visit. The staff was plentiful and very happy to help us right up to our early exit. Well see, it got rather windy and some pretty good size branches were coming down near (and on) our tent cabin. It scared the kids so we left at 9pm Saturday night. Again however, the staff showed their ability to accommodate, even under circumstances beyond their control. They refunded us our final days stay. Bravo to Fernwood! So much so, that we have decided to go back (this time with our trailer) and stay in a campsites for Christmas.

Oh, and "The best trip ever" was the statement made by my wife and kids about 3 days into our stay. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank wrknthangl
Monterey, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

I'm new to Monterey and just spent the weekend with my girlfriend at one of the tent cabins here (Her idea, and a good one). We had a nice and relaxing time. Quarters are tight, so make sure to get on good terms with your neighbors, though. The redwoods provide plenty of shade. The cabin we stayed in was clean and neat. I took a nice hike to Buzzard's Roost, which offered a great view (This is about a 2-hour hike round-trip from the campground). It's a nice place for a short stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2009

we needed a one night stop in Big Sur while we were driving up the coast. we chose the Fernwood mainly because of price (about $100/night). we stayed in the motel. the room was a standard motel room. it was clean and provided exactly what we needed.

we also ate dinner at the restaurant on-site. the food was good and they have some good local beers at the bar.

overall a good choice for big sur.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2009

My boyfriend and I went to Big sur for a weekend vacation. We stayed at fernwood for the price. Before I had booked the room, I read some reviews on the customer service and read that there were several complaints. But I decided to book it nonetheless. In a way, I was dissapointed because the customer service sucks. The girls that were in the store along with the one that helped us in check in were very rude to my boyfriend. Overall, the place is nice but unfortunately we dont think that we will go back simply because of the service we got. Its a shame because, people obviously go there to have a good and relaxing time and the last thing you want to deal with is bad customer service.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

This is a great place with really nice brand new cabins in addition to the regular campgrounds and tentcabins. They're about $182 per night and sleep 6 which was ok, but my only complaint is that they tack on an additional charge if more than two people are staying.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,165 reviews
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!