“Beautiful area but room one step above camping!”
Review of Fernwood Resort

Fernwood Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Big Sur B&B and Inns
Millville, New Jersey
“Beautiful area but room one step above camping!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

There are not many choices in Big Sur that have reasonable rates. This "resort" is interesting and gives you the rustic feeling of being in Big Sur. The little general store was quaint and the restaurant was very good. The rooms were also quaint and when first entering the room, it had that cabin-in-the-woods look. But after getting settled we realized how inconvenient it was. There were very few places to put anything, only the 2 minuscule nightstands. The bathroom was large and could have easily accommodated shelves or even a vanity top. Without too much expense, or thought, the room could have been made much more comfortable. We had to take a pricier room w a fireplace because that is all they had available. Unfortunately even at the end of March the room was so tiny that we couldn't keep the fireplace on. It only worked until the room was up to temp and then it went out. To keep it burning would mean constantly turning up the thermostat.
The bathroom had no venting and the shower stall was so small the water came out all over the floor. Everything was drenched from condensation after one shower!
We were in cabin L and when the people next door came in late they kept banging into the doorframe, I guess carrying things in, which was adjacent to where our bed was. Then they talked for quite awhile and I felt I could join in the conversation.
Like I said, one step up from camping, but a lot more costly.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank pasrts4046

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
Martinez, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed in room H which has an on-demand hot tub on the back porch. It takes about an hour to fill, but that gives you time to check out the camp sites for another trip and have a beer at the bar/restaurant. We didn't eat there this time, although we do plan on coming back to stay and eat. The food looked and smelled amazing. You can even get pizza to go to your room. The room was clean with just the basics - no phone or tv which we didn't mind. The gas fireplace is your only heat, and we were more than plenty warm all night. We already have reservations to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kellenwood
Escondido, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just got back from another wonderful trip up the central coast of CA! I went with my husband and his parents. We rented two of the three available adventure tents! We very much enjoyed our "glamping" experience. Linens and towels were provided and there was electricity in the tent (along with a cozy space heater and an electric blanket, so we were never uncomfortable). It was the adventure of camping with the luxuries of a hotel. A small luxury outhouse was in between our tents (#2 and #3) for a convenient bathroom location and a bath house with two rooms (each including a toilet, sink and shower) was just steps away. The tents lock up, keeping your belongings safe. However, I didn't know that maid service was provided and was a little freaked out when we came back from a day of hiking and the bed had been made, meaning someone was in our tent while we were gone. I was a little unsettled about that and usually put a "Do Not Disturb" sign up when staying at hotels, because I do not like people having access to my belongings. The main disadvantage of the location of the adventure tents is that they are near the road, so you could hear every car that passed by. You certainly couldn't beat the view of the redwoods! The restaurant on site was very tasty, although a little on the pricey side, which is to be expected in the isolated town of Big Sur. I would go back and stay in the adventure tents in a heartbeat and would recommend them to anyone!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelBuggy0308
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 30, 2013

If you are looking for any promise of privacy or peace and quiet, look elsewhere.

The camp sites are incredibly small. Our tent was literally just a few feet from our neighbors.

Quiet time starts at 10pm but the staff leave at this time. When we first arrived at about 12pm, there were 5 people at the site next to us with two big tents and two huge vans. At about 7pm they started hanging up strings of lights and created two bonfires. This was our first warning sign as it should have been to the staff.

At 10pm (after all the staff had left) there were literally 20+ people partying at the site (they had invited their friends who freely drove their vehicles in.) We asked them to keep it down, but since they had been drinking ALL day, that wasn't going to happen. When we went to complain to the staff at 11:00pm, there was no one - just a sign says to call the office (which is closed) or 911/sheriff. At 11:30 PM we packed up and left. In fact, beyond check-in, I never saw one staff person on the campgrounds.

This trip was supposed to be a romantic getaway for us. Instead, we stayed at a campground that CLEARLY promotes partying.

And oh yeah, the restrooms were just nasty.

Dogs are allowed to run free throughout the day and night although the brochure claims there is a leash rule, the staff clearly do not enforce it (or seemingly anything else for that matter.) When we visited the general store and asked for basic directions to a nearby landmark, a cashier who appeared to look intentionally bored just pointed south and said "that way."

Really ???? 50.00 a night for this supposed "resort?" Since we left so late, there was only one hotel with rooms available (and no camp sites available). We wound up having to pay 400.00 for the night.

Before you stay at this place, I highly suggest that you read the reviews. I regret that I didn't

Room Tip: The entire park seems to have a noise issue. The tents and tent cabins are packed in like sardines a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Phillip S
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel Rooms, clean and nicely decorated. Great value for money. Internet worked perfectly. Wonderful restuarant and bar attached to hotel. Lovely walk to river and redwood trees. After a long drive it was the perfect place to wind down. Not fancy but I thought just enchanting

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Simians
Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Fernwood offers good value for the money. Our room was basic but comfortable. There was good internet available in their lounge/restaurant. The restaurant food is very good. The staff are helpful. But best of all, if you walk down into the campground, there is a trail that heads up to a fabulous coastal viewpoint. Yes, it is a good hour of upwards work but what a view. The inn is very close to the road and there tends to be a lot of traffic - it must be awful in the summer. There are cabins down in the campground. I hope they are quieter.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lori181788
San Francisco
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Working my way home north from Los Angeles, I decided to stop at Big Sur. Local commentary led me to Fernwood, which locals say is "the living room of Big Sur". I was offered one of a very few rooms with a hot tub on the deck, at a price even I could afford due to lowered winter rates. It was wonderful! Fernwood has campgrounds down by the river, tent cabins, wood cabins, and traditional roadside rooms with decks in the back. In the summer, the roadside rooms might be noisy with traffic, but in winter, the rooms offer convenience and are easy to find those dark dark nights driving back from elsewhere. I loved filling up the tub and taking multiple soaks throughout the day and night and at dawn. An owl hooted nearby as I soaked, birds cocked their heads at me from the trees, and a racoon peered longingly at my picnic bag. A few doors down, people shopped in a friendly grocery store with little tables for munching, while others enjoyed the dining room, bar and leather couch and chairs where talking and lounging with fellow travelers is natural and inevitable. During the day a special store for hikers ensures you are in a place with great local knowledge and experience. Nearby (within about five miles) are all of my favorite Big Sur attractions. Come and discover, in winter, without the traffic, and you may, like me, even enjoy some time to lay in the sun on the beach with all of your clothing layers serving as just a pillow for your head. If it is too cold, there is the tub....glorious in all weather.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a hot tub on the deck.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
#4 of 8 in Big Sur
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!