“Two Nights, two different rooms, two very different experiences”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Glen Oaks Big Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Toronto, Canada
“Two Nights, two different rooms, two very different experiences”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I traveled to the Big Sur area June 23, 2014. After the long drive up the coast from LA, I was so happy to check into our Little Sur cabin located by the river. Before the trip, I read tripadvisor suggestions to request cabin 8 and so I did. It is the furthest from the road, and close enough to the river to hear the water running. Although small, the cabin makes great use of every bit of the space that it does have. We checked in, poured ourselves a glass of wine and walked down to the river to enjoy the chairs by the river - unfortunately they were in use. Not a big deal. We returned to our private fire pit area at the base of the beautiful redwoods and relaxed before dinner.

We made our way to the Roadhouse restaurant and enjoyed an amazing salmon dinner, paired with a beautiful Russian River Pinot Noir recommended by our server. The salmon was perfectly grilled, and the local vegetables fresh and tasty. Although the prices were a bit high for the meal, we enjoyed it tremendously.

We returned to our cabin and sat outside to enjoy a fire, a glass of wine and s'mores of course! The setting was perfect, and very romantic. We danced by the fire and talked for hours. When we turned in for the night, we found the bed incredibly comfortable and the temperature in the cabin perfect for sleeping. I enjoyed the best sleep I've had in years that evening.

Unfortunately we were unable to secure the Little Sur cabin for the second night and had to move to the Motor Lodge King Room. When we checked into the room we found it to be incredibly warm and stuffy. We opened all of the windows and went for a high to Pfeiffer Falls. When we returned to relax with a glass of wine, the room had cooled down, however the noise from the highway, and the Fernwood cafe located behind the bathroom window, as well as the noise of foot and car traffic out in front of the larger window - made me feel like I was camping on the side of a roadway. Far from relaxing. We were in room 4 - towards the back which I thought would be a good thing, but I'm afraid not. I spent a very restless night trying to block out noise, without suffocating in a warm room.

Two nights, two different rooms, two VERY different experiences. The King room was far more expensive and yet left me feeling exhausted and stressed after one night. I could not wait to get out of there.

I would return but ONLY stay in the Little Sur cabins and my rating for the resort would be a solid 5 based on that one night stay. For my stay at the motor lodge, I would give the resort a two. I would recommend that you stay away from the Motor Lodge if you have sleep issues as I do, or if you are a light sleeper.

2 Thank BudgetwiseTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

Very cool little hotel right on Highway 1. All of the rooms felt like their own little cabins. Once you go inside it's nothing like a log cabin! It had the feel of a small boutique hotel. Nice furniture and a very comfortable feel. There was a fireplace in the wall, a small refrigerator, and even some board games. There's a nice fire pit outside with benches around it and they sell s'mores kits!
We've read some of the mixed reviews recently but we did not encounter any issues with hearing our neighbors or traffic noise.

Great place, we will definitely stay here again when we're back in Big Sur!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank metfanatic11
Sherman Oaks, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed in the Motor Lodge which is right off Highway 1. It's sort of has a motel feel but the rooms are much nicer. Our room was located towards the back so I was happy about that. The decor is mid-century modern, which I loved. The bedroom is average sized and the bathroom was large. Room included games and fun magazines like Dwell and Sunset. We took advantage of the little patio out front and drank wine out there every night. The forest around the property is also quite lovely. There's a little river across the street.

The one thing I did not like was that the walls seemed sort of thin - and I'm a light sleeper. Luckily our neighbors were pretty quiet so it wasn't too bad but I could hear when they returned home and when they were talking in their rooms. When we were there, most of the other guests at the Lodge were couples in their 20s to 40s.

We also enjoyed the Roadhouse restaurant across the street. Cool mid-century modern decor and good food. We ate dinner there twice. Although I admit one time was out of convenience since we had been drinking and did not want to get into a car and go somewhere.

I would probably stay here again although I want to try Deetjen's too.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Beautiful place, there are obviously some nice cabins.
We stayed at the Cottage. It is spacious, but not as nicely done as the pictures I saw of some of the other cabins. Although it is nicely painted and the bed is okay, some of it still feels old. That green vinyl floor in the bathroom was not clean enough to enjoy the heated floors bare-foot, and the pedestal sink has no room to put any of my own toiletries or the toiletry bag.
My main issue: this cabin, although you cannot see it through the gorgeous trees surrounding it, is situated right above Hwy 1, so the traffic noise is bothersome, especially if you want to enjoy the charming patio with its Adirondak chairs.
The kitchen is well equipped for a (very) light (and very sweet) breakfast, coffe, tea and all the other stuff you need to make lunch or dinner, when you bring your own food. As a tea lover I appreciated the tea kettle, since I don't enjoy the stale coffee tasting hot water when the water is heated in the coffee maker.
I also liked the fact that the shower soap and conditioner are in wall mounted containers - the thought of all the small plastic bottles filling the landfills is bothersome.
Overall - charming place, over priced but not over rated, because nature is so glorious.

Room Tip: Do not choose the cottage if traffic noise bothers you.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank eva l
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed at the Little Sur cabin last week. Although in a beautiful location I would not go back. The cabins are small and your neighbors are right next door. Every time they go in and out the cabin shakes and it sounds like a train is going through the room! Additionally the front staff said there were chairs all along the river for relaxing, there was one chair in the river for everyone to use. Needless to say it was never available. When I mentioned these things to the front desk she just said, "ok"
On a positive note the cabin is clean.

3 Thank FindingMyWay8
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

A cabin retreat in the woods at its best. The look is mid-century modern, artfully done, efficient, and low key. The execution is minimalist and efficient, where you have all the amenities that you need and none that don't belong in this place - such as a TV. Also centrally located for visiting the Big Sur attractions. Pricey, but absolutely worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carpatifara
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

This property is well thought out and well executed. They choose the right details to make a trip lovely without spending on silliness. A cabin in the woods by the river, Redwood soaring out your window. Perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
#3 of 5 in Carmel Valley
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#1 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!