“The best of the rest”
Review of Glen Oaks Big Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Glen Oaks Big Sur is a peaceful place to clear your mind and have a very wonderful time with your loved one. No TV was a blessing. My wife and I had room 9 and the double sided fireplace with secluded patio was the bomb! When we checked in the front desk personal was wonderful and very informative about what to do and where to go in Big Sur. The 50's / 60's furnishings were great, the bed very inviting, but the best was the heated floor in the bathroom. We were there for three nights and four days and the employees at Glen Oaks were on top of the game. Everything we needed or asked for was provided or discussed. We would recommend this lovely retreat to anyone that want to get away from everything and enjoy the surroundings in Big Sur.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with a double fire place with enclosed patio.
2  Thank Bloodinc

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as part of our honeymoon in a Fireside Lodge Queen.

Pro's:

- Nice room decoration, rustic but very modern and the bathroom had lovely underfloor heating and a large shower.
- Across the road from a nice restaurant, Big Sur Roadhouse, where we ate both nights. Rather pricey but as it was our honeymoon we didn't begrudge giving ourselves a treat! Book in advance for dinner as it definitely gets very busy.
- Refrigerator in room which is always useful. Sadly wasn't that cold but helpful if you want to keep something mildy chilled.

Average:

- Staff were...meh. A few times they just stared blankly at us and I wondered if they were finished talking to us or waiting for us to say something. Bit too chilled out in my opinion for the price of the accommodation!
- Whilst we slept well and there was no outside noise the soundproofing from other rooms was pretty poor and we ended up hearing conversations from next door which was annoying.

Con's:

- Very overpriced for what you got. We paid around $550 for 2 nights and I really really don't think it was worth this kind of money. I totally appreciate Big Sur is expensive but this was pushing it a bit for what you got.
- There was no A/C and even at the beginning of April the room got pretty stuffy. There was a plug in fan but at this price I would have expected A/C or a ceiling fan at least. In the summer it would get SO hot!
- It was our honeymoon and we did make them aware beforehand however nothing special or extra was arranged. I don't expect to get special treatment because it's my honeymoon but to have it recognised in some way is always remembered and appreciated. Probably because there are so many weddings/honeymooners in Big Sur it's not such a big deal!

The choices are so limited and overpriced in Big Sur that I guess if you are going to spend the money you could do worse than Glen Oaks. Though be prepared not to be wowed as it is definitely average at best.

1  Thank Student123
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed in a Deluxe King which has it's own private patio area with gate. This is part of the main building along CA-1. My room was beautifully furnished with a mid-century meets the woods kind of vibe. This is a big plus in my book. The lack of TV is welcome when in a beautiful setting. The dual sided fireplace provides heat for the room and adds a beautiful ambiance when you are either on the patio or laying in bed. The bathroom has a wonderful heated floor and large shower that is great after a day on the beach or a day hike.

There is complimentary water, coffee and tea in the small lobby as well as complimentary coffee/tea at the restaurant, Roadhouse, across CA-1. Definitely make reservations for dinner there if you can. It's also great for breakfast as you fuel up for a hike at any of the nearby parks.

Bring a bottle of wine and drinks as the room has a mini fridge. You'll want it later at night as you sit around the communal fire pit. The lobby also sells the making for s'mores or you can go to the little market next door if you have to make more than two.

I recommend it for couples or groups of adults. Overall I give this a double thumbs up and plan to go again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank brianysf
Reviewed April 11, 2014

A well furnished, decorated and comfortable room. The bathroom was incredible - under floor heating and amazing shower. The table and chairs outside were a great touch after a day in the car on the coast road, and although it was close to the highway, we weren't disturbed by the road.

1  Thank Samantha C
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My wife and I drove down from San Francisco for a weekend getaway. Glen Oaks offered up a relaxed atmosphere, plenty of privacy (we stayed in the Sycamore cabin), a solid restaurant onsite (one breakfast, one dinner, funky Creole cuisine), and decor and design that reflected an honest sustainability. Perfectly located for hiking, too. We'll go back for sure.

Room Tip: We liked the Sycamore cabin for privacy, though it did mean a short walk along highway 1 to get to t...
1  Thank erikblSF
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights. The room was decorated beautifully. Loved the bathroom and porch area. I did wish there was a TV in the room.

Restaurant was amazing! We were very happy with our stay and would stay here again.

1  Thank Rhett B
Reviewed March 27, 2014

For my 31st birthday, my boyfriend and I decided to head to Big Sur for a few days to relax. After researching nearly every property within our budget, we decided on Glen Oaks Big Sur and, I'm convinced, we couldn't have made a better decision! The location is prime and the grounds are well-maintained. The staff was friendly and informative but, most importantly, the room was exactly what I wanted! We stayed in Archie's and it was perfect; nice and modern while still feeling a bit rustic. The layout was compact but never felt cramped. The bed was large and extremely comfortable with fantastic sheets and blankets, the fireplace kept the room comfortably warm and provided exquisite mood lighting, the kitchen area was just the right size for easy food prep and drinks, and the heated floor and double shower heads in the bathroom were a pleasant surprise...and thoroughly enjoyed! I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Stay in Archie's! Wonderful little cabin that feels private and posh. Also, enjoy dinner at Big...
3  Thank thescreamfreak
#2 of 8 in Big Sur
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#1 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!