“Thoreau's naturalist romance but way more comfortable”
Review of Glen Oaks Big Sur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed December 23, 2013

The Cottage is a hidden gem at Glen Oaks. Tucked back in the redwoods, it has the feel of a secluded getaway. The building has a simple, beach cottage look with weathered boards and just the right amount of overgrowth. Inside the lines are simple and tastefully elegant. The amenities are tailored to high-end naturalists - organic handcrafted soap, artisan teas, fluffy terrycloth robes, and wooded views out every window. The kitchen is fully functioning and artistically retro. Kitchenware is provided, however, due to its small size, it is best to have done all the food prep before arriving. We had gourmet meals and desserts prepared ahead of time and only needed cook time. The Glen Oaks staff was helpful, courteous, and friendly. I can't imagine a more comfortable, relaxing environment. The Cottage will not satisfy a need for gaudy luxury, but Hearst Castle is just two hours down the road. Peaceful, tasteful, comfortable, with just the right amount of panache - Glen Oaks is the romantic ideal.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank E_Endicott
Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed December 21, 2013

There are not that many hostelries to choose from on the Big Sur stretch of Highway 101. So I guess those that are located there can push the envelope a bit in terms of pricing. Compared to the Post Ranch up the road I guess these prices look not too bad (but there again almost anything would), but having stayed in a number of hotels and B & B's up and down this stretch I feel this one is over priced. The rooms are comfortable enough with some nice touches, but I would have expected more. The location is also a few yards off the main road, which inevitably is busy most of the day and evening.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2013

i have a love of drive up motels. Especially ones with a history. Throw in a nice bar and good restaurant and in a naturally beautiful area and you have the makings of Glen Oaks.
Our recently restored and upgraded room in the Adobe motor lodge was perfect . Large comfortable beds, gas fireplace huge shower with warmed floors . Reasonably priced wines in the room. Sitting areas at the front door and an outdoor communal fire pit.
The landscaping reflects a well behaved rainforest under a canopy of oaks ( dropping acorns all night )
Services are well considered and understated. The restaurant folks were happy to pour us a couple coffees at 6:30 am each day even though not open yet.
Local books and magazines are in the rooms for you to check out or in my case purchase.
I would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Locals all know it as the best value place that won't burn a hole through your wallet, and I loved it! We stayed in a queen bed motor lodge room and were surrounded by affordable luxuries: a closed fireplace, provided small hair dryer, heated bathroom floor, and roomy and clean shower. No one to call you, because you have no cell service out here (at least with AT&T). No TV to watch, so try reading a book or two. There is WiFi however, which was helpful to plan out the rest of the weekend, but try limiting yourself on social media and email. Much enjoyed retreat away from the city! Just bring your own lotion since it's not provided here. Bring your own towel if you're expecting large towels.

December is a great time to visit Big Sur. Picturesque views of the coast. Hardly any other cars on the road. I haven't been during the summer, but I'm told that Big Sur's actually foggy and windy then. How disappointing. I will be back again in (cold) winter months!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Halo345
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed for one night in the lodge with my husband on a trip down the coast. Loved this place, did some good walking and enjoyed a good meal across the road at the Roadhouse. As vegetarians it would have been more of a problem if we'd stayed longer as there was only one real veggie option on the menu. Coffee was complementary in the morning at the RoadHouse. Bed was comfortable, whole place was very clean and I adored the heated bathroom floor. I encountered a problem of my own making in that I mislaid an earring there, searched all over for it to no avail. Mentioned it at check out and when we arrived at our next destination had an email to say the maid had found it and they subsequently mailed it to me in England, as we were about to leave the USA. I was pleased and impressed with this level of service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MargaretJay
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This place was a good value for the prices of places in Big Sur. We stayed in the room with a queen and fireplace. Everything in the room was great but I felt that there were a few details that were skimped on that could make this place more worth the money. For example, they had a beautiful shower/bathroom (which includes heated floors) but yet the shower head was old and not that great. Additionally, the towels were thin and seemed cheap.

However, the customer service was excellent! I also liked the little fireplace spot in the middle.

I liked this place but would be on the fence about returning.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jaxmccalli
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed just one night on a trip up the coast, and loved it. We were in one of the Adobe Motor lodges and the room was stunning, great decor/lovely touches - heated floor in the bathroom, fire at foot of the bed and a cute couch. We ate at the Roadhouse across the street from Glen Oaks and the food and service was brilliant. Such a lovely setting for dinner!

A few tiny gripes. The reception closes from 9pm - 8am and while we didn't have any problems we did find it hard to get a coffee before 8am as there wasn't any info to say it was available from 7 over in the Roadhouse. Also, there was a very poor quality hair dryer in the room. Admittedly small things, but this place isn't cheap so it's the tiny details you look for.

But, a beautiful place to stay just the same!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 mi away
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#1 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!