“Big Sur Cool”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Del Mar, California
“Big Sur Cool”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in one of the motor lodge rooms (#3) October 23rd & 24th. Cool room decor, nice patio out front. Great heated bathroom floors, warming gas fireplace in the room. No TV (good!). Clean, comfortable, quiet. Neat fire pit near by. The grounds are very nice, settled into a wooded hillside. Having the Roadhouse across the street for a restaurant is great. Everything has that Big Sur/Northern California/Nestled in the Redwoods vibe.

Recommend taking a walk down to the cabins along the Big Sur River. We've booked for next year already!

Room Tip: Motor Lodge rooms have somewhat overgrown foliage screening them from the parking lot. Makes for goo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Seriously, I can't wax poetic enough about this place. My husband and I love Big Sur; got married 5 years ago at Post Ranch Inn (which sadly is a little out of our price range for non-wedding related events), and Deetjens was all full up, so I decided to try out Glen Oaks for the first time. And can I say; WOW!! I will most definitely be returning here, and recommending it to all my friends passing through Big Sur. Like a mid-century modern beauty! I feel like we were stepping into a Sunset Magazine photo spread, seriously.

We booked the Motor Lodge Queen, wanted to give it a rave review, since when I was booking, i noticed most of the reviews here are for the cabins. Loved it, beautiful bathroom and bedroom, totally enjoyed the lack of TV/ etc too. Played Jenga, relaxed by the fire, and drank some of the wine that is offered in the room. Perfect 5 year anniversary trip! Total ease in booking the room and checking in late as well.

Grabbed breakfast across the street at the Road House, which was delicious. Coffee is comp for hotel guests there too!

Directions! When approaching from the south (since there's no exact address, which is slightly confusing), you go past the main drag (past Nepenthe, past Big Sur Bakery, past Fernwood, and past Big Sur Station), and it'll be on your right. You see the RoadHouse on your left before seeing Glen Oaks on your right (as it's on a bend).

Room Tip: We were totally happy with room 14, Queen Motor Lodge. Beautiful fireplace, cute little backyard, tu...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Words really cannot express how much I enjoyed my stay at the Glen Oaks in Big Sur. Set among the redwoods in one of the most beautiful places on earth this modern hotel offers simple yet elegant rooms. Comfy bed, large shower with awesome organic bath products, your own patio in front of the room, AND you can heat the bathroom floor!!!! I love that the rooms do not have televisions, but instead offer games, yoga mats, and a small canvas with a brush. Across the street is their restaurant the Big Sur Roadhouse which offers yummy food served by the friendliest staff in all of Big Sur. Next to the hotel is a small general store for snacks, supplies, and souvenirs and also a gas station. This hotel deserves 15 stars... I will be staying here every time I visit Big Sur!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I just tried to book a room as I am attending a wedding next year and they would not take a reservation and not because the room is booked. They asked if I was coming for an event and I told them I was coming for a wedding and at that time they wanted to know if I was coming with a group and I am not (The small wedding is being held at another location…not at this hotel). Once I mentioned I was coming for a wedding I was then told they could place me on a waiting list and if no groups came in they would call me at the first of the year so I could book a room. So, the room I requested is not booked but I can't reserve it because they are holding out for a better offer? I saw a great article in Sunset Magazine and was excited to try this place out. They really should post their "rules" on their website or just tell me the room is booked.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Monica041
Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at Glen Oaks Big Sur. We were headed southbound along Hwy 1 from San Francisco towards LA. We stayed in the Big Sur Cabin. It was very nice. At the end of the drive into the property. The cabin was very spacious. A Living Room with Fireplace. Kitchen with a eating area. No Stove, however Microwave and Refrigerator. Plates, glasses and cutlery. A separate Bedroom which leads out to a patio where there are two relaxing chairs and two Bath tubs. Outdoor fire pits are found at the front of the Cabin facing the river or the patio.

The surrounding area was very peaceful. Very beautiful. The river was cold and refreshing. They actually have lounge chairs along the river bank.

For dinner we went to the Big Sur Roadhouse. I'm glad we made a reservation. The place was busy. No reservations meant at least a 30 min. wait. Dinner was excellent and the service equally good.

The following day after check out we went down the road to the Big Sur Bakery and bought all sorts of pastries and muffins. Fantastic for our drive south.

Overall, it was an excellent first stat at Big Sur and especially Glen Oaks Big Sur. Certainly wished we had at least another day simply to relax and absorb the beauty of the area.

Room Tip: Big Sur Cabin was very affordable and definitely private.
1 Thank LuvTravel63
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Such a fleeting visit but we spent one night in a Little Sur Cabin on our way back to the airport (SFO) and it was beautiful! I really wish that we'd arrived earlier and could have stayed longer. The cabin was really nicely done with lots of attention to detail. It was pristinely clean, warm, welcoming and there's underfloor heating in the bathroom. The fire pit was already laid for us and there is ample spare wood if you want it. You have wine, coffee and S'mores in the cabin and the surroundings are lovely. We went up to the road house for dinner which again was great: lovely staff, good food, open fire and a big wine list plus the additional comedy value of trying to get through the automatic gate without a car! I really hope we will be back!

1 Thank Kit775
Arizona
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Was planning on being in Big Sur for just a "day visit" but after enjoying drinks and the view at Nepenthe, decided we needed a room. They suggested Glen Oaks and we were lucky and got their last available room. Best way to describe it is "Modern Rustic". Everyone was friendly, room was very clean and loved the heated bathroom floor with large shower. Very romantic with the fireplace. Enjoyed s'mores by the firepit and met some great people. Was so fantastic, we asked to stay an extra night so we could do some hiking in the area. It was definitely one of the best parts of our 2 week vacation in CA and we hope to go back to visit again! The pictures of the room (panoramic) probably don't do it justice...well worth it!

2 Thank Ann P
#3 of 5 in Carmel Valley
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Glen Oaks Big Sur? Share your experiences!