$1,600
Lucia Lodge(Big Sur)
Big Sur Lodge(Big Sur)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from these sites
1,206 results
All reviewssierra marinfinity pooltree housepacific suiteupper coastglass of champagnethe cliffworth every pennyspa servicesmini barupper butterflytreehouse roomocean viewspecial occasionhot tubstocked fridgeheaven on earth
Reviewed July 3, 2007

My husband and I spent the first few nights of our honeymoon at the Post Ranch Inn last October and loved it so much that we returned recently for another short stay. Everything was excellent - the rooms, the amenities, the views, the staff, the environment, the food. I wish I was back there right now!

I've stayed at many nice hotels before, but the Post Ranch Inn really
blew me away. It is perfect for romance and also a great place to propose/ spend your honeymoon (lots of "secret" nooks and crannies on the property).

The views are spectacular and the air is so clean and refreshing. The breakfasts were fantastic and we felt healthy just being there! It was also an added perk that the Post Ranch Inn offers free minibar and laundry facilities.

There was some renovation work going on when we stayed there this time. Sierra Mar had been relocated temporarily and they were building some new guest rooms. However, we did not hear any of the construction work at all and were informed about the renovation work when we made the booking. The Post Ranch Inn also gave us a discount on our food bill because of the "inconvenience" (their words, not ours!) of the relocation.

The only negative comments I have is that the reservation desk is not 24 hours and you cannot book a room via email/ their website, so being from abroad, we had to wait till a certain time to call them to book our rooms. Also the receptionists were not as friendly as the rest of the staff.

But other than that, I highly recommend the Post Ranch Inn! It is very expensive, but totally worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank alondongirl
Reviewed July 3, 2007

This place is an overrated, overpriced, rip off. We hated it. The rooms are small and uncomfortable, the spa services the worst we've experienced anywhere, and the staff LAZY, ARROGANT, and rude. They have some sort of 'holier-than-thou' attitude because the place initially had good reviews and it seems they are resting on their laurels and could care less about the guests. My husband and I have travelled all over the world and were surprised by this cramped, dull, overrated place. It has one tiny hot tub cramped by all of the guests who gather there for the view but there is no privacy and the tub is tiny-- good for 2 people. It has a few nice views going for it, but that's it, and that's not enough for the outrageous prices. You can get the same views for free in Big Sur anywhere you drive, stay, or walk. There are so many nicer places in both Big Sur and of course all over the world. We really couldn't believe how OVERRATED this place was. Again, the people who work there are LAZY AND ARROGANT-- not a nice combination at all. Avoid this over hyped dump.

Stayed: May 2006
30  Thank SanDiegoNancy
Reviewed June 27, 2007

Pictures do not do this place justice. The mountains are the setting behind Post Ranch Inn which is in a redwood forest that runs out onto a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. So anywhere on the property you are in the Redwood Forest looking up at mountains or out off a cliff over the ocean, and usually both, just depending on the direction you look.

My wife and I spent our wedding/honeymoon here last October. I can't say enough about the place. It is very cool (zen like) to say the least. We stayed in one of the Butterfly suite's which was very nice. I honestly don't know why you would need to stay in the more expensive cottages unless you just wanted to blow the extra cash(which I probably will do some day). We spent most of our time hiking, hanging out in one of the infinity pools, laying in the hammocks, eating at Sierra Mar (which by the way was the best food I have ever eaten), and star gazing. The grounds are very well maintained, there are no kids allowed, and the ocean view rooms are actually built into the side of the cliff. The Sierra Mar is beautiful inside, and has the most amazing view of each evenings sunset you have ever seen. Just amazing...splurge on a bottle of wine and enjoy the view.

It's the added touches too... real wood burning fireplaces, workers come kindle the wood for you each morning and evening. They light the fire while you're at dinner and turn down your bed / clean up the room / close the blinds for you at night. There are a few convertible Lexus sports cars that are free for your use to drive up and down highway one. All the wine, fruit, nuts and snacks in the fridge are included. There are coolers with iced bottled water in them along the hiking trails. It's the little things that make this place.

As a guy was saying at the desk when we were checking out, one day at Post Ranch Inn is like 3 days anywhere else. It's not a place you go to stay and then go see the sites, Post Ranch Inn is the destination. Relaxation is what they are selling here, if you want to destress, see beautiful scenery, be taken care of, eat great food and see beautiful sunsets, this is the place for you.

We're going back for 4 days in October, or 12 days depending on how you look at it.. Can't wait, most incredible place I have ever been and worth every penny!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank fj4funtx
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I stayed at Post Ranch Inn June 15th through the 19th and had an amazing time. Unlike the review below mine, I was notified three weeks prior about the construction and upgrades the ranch is doing. I find it hard to believe that they did not contact one person over another, I am sure they tried contacting everyone.

From check in to check out the service was wonderful. The reservationist who I dealt with was informative and helpful when choosing my accomodation. Even more helpful with the follow up regarding the construction on property while I were to be staying. (it's good to know that this will only be happening for a short time and it is not that intrusive)

I had a beautiful room overlooking the mountains and took advantage of the ocean views from the infinity pool and walking path. I feel like I didn't miss out out on the view since I could overlook the ocean each time I stepped outside my door.

There are many trails layed out and the attention to detail is amazing. Just when I was getting thirsty I came across a cooler with stocked bottles of water. Fantastic!

I can't say enough about this amazing, beautiful property. I realize that construction and upgrades are necessary to keep the property what it is- a relaxing time away from it all. I left feeling rejuvenated and relaxed! Kudos!!

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank kip325
Reviewed June 18, 2007

Major construction on the property which will wake you up at 7:00a.m. They claim they will be finished by June but this is impossible based on the progress we saw. We were never warned of construction prior to our arrival (they claimed they "attempted" to call us). Our $1,300 per night room was next to the construction site. A paltry 25% discount was offered. Letter of complaint to General Manager remains unanswered to date. Very disappointing visit, to say the least. No more expensive family-run hotels for us; we will stick with Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, etc. where there is some accountability.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple