$1,600
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
$1,335
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
$950
$704
$499
Carmel River Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$189
$579
$320
Official Site
$829
HotelsClick
  • Pool
Comfort Inn Carmel By The Sea(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$311
$290
ComfortInn
Normandy Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$449
Pine Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$279
1,206 results
All reviewssierra marinfinity pooltree housepacific suiteupper coastglass of champagnethe cliffworth every pennyspa servicesmini barupper butterflytreehouse roomocean viewspecial occasionhot tubstocked fridgeheaven on earth
Reviewed July 3, 2007

This place is an overrated, overpriced, rip off. We hated it. The rooms are small and uncomfortable, the spa services the worst we've experienced anywhere, and the staff LAZY, ARROGANT, and rude. They have some sort of 'holier-than-thou' attitude because the place initially had good reviews and it seems they are resting on their laurels and could care less about the guests. My husband and I have travelled all over the world and were surprised by this cramped, dull, overrated place. It has one tiny hot tub cramped by all of the guests who gather there for the view but there is no privacy and the tub is tiny-- good for 2 people. It has a few nice views going for it, but that's it, and that's not enough for the outrageous prices. You can get the same views for free in Big Sur anywhere you drive, stay, or walk. There are so many nicer places in both Big Sur and of course all over the world. We really couldn't believe how OVERRATED this place was. Again, the people who work there are LAZY AND ARROGANT-- not a nice combination at all. Avoid this over hyped dump.

Stayed: May 2006
30  Thank SanDiegoNancy
Reviewed June 27, 2007

Pictures do not do this place justice. The mountains are the setting behind Post Ranch Inn which is in a redwood forest that runs out onto a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. So anywhere on the property you are in the Redwood Forest looking up at mountains or out off a cliff over the ocean, and usually both, just depending on the direction you look.

My wife and I spent our wedding/honeymoon here last October. I can't say enough about the place. It is very cool (zen like) to say the least. We stayed in one of the Butterfly suite's which was very nice. I honestly don't know why you would need to stay in the more expensive cottages unless you just wanted to blow the extra cash(which I probably will do some day). We spent most of our time hiking, hanging out in one of the infinity pools, laying in the hammocks, eating at Sierra Mar (which by the way was the best food I have ever eaten), and star gazing. The grounds are very well maintained, there are no kids allowed, and the ocean view rooms are actually built into the side of the cliff. The Sierra Mar is beautiful inside, and has the most amazing view of each evenings sunset you have ever seen. Just amazing...splurge on a bottle of wine and enjoy the view.

It's the added touches too... real wood burning fireplaces, workers come kindle the wood for you each morning and evening. They light the fire while you're at dinner and turn down your bed / clean up the room / close the blinds for you at night. There are a few convertible Lexus sports cars that are free for your use to drive up and down highway one. All the wine, fruit, nuts and snacks in the fridge are included. There are coolers with iced bottled water in them along the hiking trails. It's the little things that make this place.

As a guy was saying at the desk when we were checking out, one day at Post Ranch Inn is like 3 days anywhere else. It's not a place you go to stay and then go see the sites, Post Ranch Inn is the destination. Relaxation is what they are selling here, if you want to destress, see beautiful scenery, be taken care of, eat great food and see beautiful sunsets, this is the place for you.

We're going back for 4 days in October, or 12 days depending on how you look at it.. Can't wait, most incredible place I have ever been and worth every penny!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank fj4funtx
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I stayed at Post Ranch Inn June 15th through the 19th and had an amazing time. Unlike the review below mine, I was notified three weeks prior about the construction and upgrades the ranch is doing. I find it hard to believe that they did not contact one person over another, I am sure they tried contacting everyone.

From check in to check out the service was wonderful. The reservationist who I dealt with was informative and helpful when choosing my accomodation. Even more helpful with the follow up regarding the construction on property while I were to be staying. (it's good to know that this will only be happening for a short time and it is not that intrusive)

I had a beautiful room overlooking the mountains and took advantage of the ocean views from the infinity pool and walking path. I feel like I didn't miss out out on the view since I could overlook the ocean each time I stepped outside my door.

There are many trails layed out and the attention to detail is amazing. Just when I was getting thirsty I came across a cooler with stocked bottles of water. Fantastic!

I can't say enough about this amazing, beautiful property. I realize that construction and upgrades are necessary to keep the property what it is- a relaxing time away from it all. I left feeling rejuvenated and relaxed! Kudos!!

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank kip325
Reviewed June 18, 2007

Major construction on the property which will wake you up at 7:00a.m. They claim they will be finished by June but this is impossible based on the progress we saw. We were never warned of construction prior to our arrival (they claimed they "attempted" to call us). Our $1,300 per night room was next to the construction site. A paltry 25% discount was offered. Letter of complaint to General Manager remains unanswered to date. Very disappointing visit, to say the least. No more expensive family-run hotels for us; we will stick with Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, etc. where there is some accountability.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank luxtravelnyc
Reviewed June 17, 2007

My boyfriend and I decided we needed a few days away and stayed at the Post Ranch Inn June 14 – 17th. I recommend the website – the pictures are realistic, and though there was some construction noise, it was not intrusive. The only disappointment was that the Sierra Mar restaurant (with the amazing view over the sea) is closed until about August – timed with the other renovations.
Our experience began well with reception ready for us the moment we pulled our car in after a 5 hours drive from Los Angeles (we stopped along the way at The new Downtown Brewery in Santa Barbara – I would not recommend their food too much, but it was nice to sit outside and eat inexpensively.). Reception sent our bags along with us in the Lexus hybrid SUV’s the PRI uses to shuttle guests around the property and to neighboring restaurants. The room itself, the Diaz room (#107) in one of the two Butterfly buildings, was lovely from the moment we stepped in. The bottle of champagne and the beers that I had specially requested from catering were in the room ready for us upon our arrival. Good follow through! The complimentary mini-bar is restocked daily and includes: exotic chocolate bar, Snickers bar, little box of tasty cookies, bag of trail mix, delicious potato chips (2 kinds), crackers, goat cheese and drinks. The drinks included multiple bottles of water (flat and fizzy), diet and regular cola, root beer, 2 different juices, iced tea, and milk for coffee. Also included and replenished daily are the coffee/tea service and a tasty gourmet hot cocoa. The bath goods range from acceptable lotion, shampoo and conditioner (and, very thoughtful, SPF 15 sunscreen) to a quite delightful lavender soap hand crafted in the area. Bath salts and tea lights are provided for soaking in the deep tub. Others have commented on the unimpressive water pressure in the shower, and I must agree that is was a bit underwhelming. On a positive note, a plethora of towels are provided – you could bath or shower 4 times a day and never need fresh ones!
The room itself was a good size. Located on the top floor of the same building that housed the Spa, the high, angled ceiling projected intimacy through its wood paneling while also seeming more spacious than the square meters that the floor plan actually contained. There is also a lovely outside terrace on which to sit (and smoke if you wish – ashtray provided) and look at the valley beyond. We were not sad to miss out on the ocean view rooms (they were sold out but also twice the price of our room) as our trip was nearly all in the fog. The linens on the bed were amazing – organic cotton and loads of thread count. I was not a huge fan of the mattress (though one is able to buy it for $3K if you gotta take one home!) but I was a massive fan of the bounty of pillows and blankets. Nice quality, nice quantity!
Again, most of the reviews on here already mention the wonderful things about the property in depth (look at Jross46 from 5/20/07 or scooterboss 4/12/07 and I agree with every word of both – except I didn’t get married – yet!) so I just give a few of my personal insights.
The facial I had with Kendall (1 hour wildflower facial with 1/2 hour massage) was one of the best of my LIFE! No, its not deep cleansing – no extractions. But I didn’t care as it wiped away every bit of stress I had and left my skin healthy and glowing. She was an amazing therapeutic technician and I recommend you pony up the $175 for this treatment (plus tip). The treatment room itself was gorgeous and in keeping with the overall Post Ranch Inn vibe – woody/earthy but not “hippy-dippy.” The products were of the highest quality – Jurlique. Though the spa itself was not very large, as a guest you have the cliff-side soaking tub (featured in photos of the resort as the infinity pool – and not chlorinated, by the way! Not sure what they use to sanitize, but it was nice and no smell at all.), so you can always do that before or after. A steam room would be nice, though. Also, when my bf and I had in-room massages, the therapists only had to bring one table as each room has a table stashed under one of the furniture cubbies. Smart.
A heads up: If you are an internet addict as my bf is, you will want to book one of the Butterfly rooms as the wireless internet is available in the Library and broadcasts from there, but neither I nor reservations were sure how far it reaches; kudos to Michael in reservations who elucidated that. There are not TV’s in the rooms, either, but there is a medium-sized flat screen in the Library, along with tons of books and free magazines and newspapers. BYO DVDs, though; satellite television signal is also available.
The staff was always super-helpful and went out of their way in all tasks. In fact, I believe that at about 32 rooms, there was far more staff than guests. This carries through in the nature of calm efficiency in all the guest services – room service to car service to small things like keeping trails tidy.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank fdldd