Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
$735
$1,009
$859
$430
$329
Normandy Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$329
Carmel Bay View Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$376
$295
TripAdvisor
Big Sur Lodge(Big Sur)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from these sites
  • Restaurant
1,207 results
All reviewssierra marinfinity pooltree housepacific suiteupper coastglass of champagnethe cliffworth every pennyspa servicesmini barupper butterflytreehouse roomocean viewspecial occasionhot tubstocked fridgeheaven on earth
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I stayed at Post Ranch Inn June 15th through the 19th and had an amazing time. Unlike the review below mine, I was notified three weeks prior about the construction and upgrades the ranch is doing. I find it hard to believe that they did not contact one person over another, I am sure they tried contacting everyone.

From check in to check out the service was wonderful. The reservationist who I dealt with was informative and helpful when choosing my accomodation. Even more helpful with the follow up regarding the construction on property while I were to be staying. (it's good to know that this will only be happening for a short time and it is not that intrusive)

I had a beautiful room overlooking the mountains and took advantage of the ocean views from the infinity pool and walking path. I feel like I didn't miss out out on the view since I could overlook the ocean each time I stepped outside my door.

There are many trails layed out and the attention to detail is amazing. Just when I was getting thirsty I came across a cooler with stocked bottles of water. Fantastic!

I can't say enough about this amazing, beautiful property. I realize that construction and upgrades are necessary to keep the property what it is- a relaxing time away from it all. I left feeling rejuvenated and relaxed! Kudos!!

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank kip325
Reviewed June 18, 2007

Major construction on the property which will wake you up at 7:00a.m. They claim they will be finished by June but this is impossible based on the progress we saw. We were never warned of construction prior to our arrival (they claimed they "attempted" to call us). Our $1,300 per night room was next to the construction site. A paltry 25% discount was offered. Letter of complaint to General Manager remains unanswered to date. Very disappointing visit, to say the least. No more expensive family-run hotels for us; we will stick with Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, etc. where there is some accountability.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank luxtravelnyc
Reviewed June 17, 2007

My boyfriend and I decided we needed a few days away and stayed at the Post Ranch Inn June 14 – 17th. I recommend the website – the pictures are realistic, and though there was some construction noise, it was not intrusive. The only disappointment was that the Sierra Mar restaurant (with the amazing view over the sea) is closed until about August – timed with the other renovations.
Our experience began well with reception ready for us the moment we pulled our car in after a 5 hours drive from Los Angeles (we stopped along the way at The new Downtown Brewery in Santa Barbara – I would not recommend their food too much, but it was nice to sit outside and eat inexpensively.). Reception sent our bags along with us in the Lexus hybrid SUV’s the PRI uses to shuttle guests around the property and to neighboring restaurants. The room itself, the Diaz room (#107) in one of the two Butterfly buildings, was lovely from the moment we stepped in. The bottle of champagne and the beers that I had specially requested from catering were in the room ready for us upon our arrival. Good follow through! The complimentary mini-bar is restocked daily and includes: exotic chocolate bar, Snickers bar, little box of tasty cookies, bag of trail mix, delicious potato chips (2 kinds), crackers, goat cheese and drinks. The drinks included multiple bottles of water (flat and fizzy), diet and regular cola, root beer, 2 different juices, iced tea, and milk for coffee. Also included and replenished daily are the coffee/tea service and a tasty gourmet hot cocoa. The bath goods range from acceptable lotion, shampoo and conditioner (and, very thoughtful, SPF 15 sunscreen) to a quite delightful lavender soap hand crafted in the area. Bath salts and tea lights are provided for soaking in the deep tub. Others have commented on the unimpressive water pressure in the shower, and I must agree that is was a bit underwhelming. On a positive note, a plethora of towels are provided – you could bath or shower 4 times a day and never need fresh ones!
The room itself was a good size. Located on the top floor of the same building that housed the Spa, the high, angled ceiling projected intimacy through its wood paneling while also seeming more spacious than the square meters that the floor plan actually contained. There is also a lovely outside terrace on which to sit (and smoke if you wish – ashtray provided) and look at the valley beyond. We were not sad to miss out on the ocean view rooms (they were sold out but also twice the price of our room) as our trip was nearly all in the fog. The linens on the bed were amazing – organic cotton and loads of thread count. I was not a huge fan of the mattress (though one is able to buy it for $3K if you gotta take one home!) but I was a massive fan of the bounty of pillows and blankets. Nice quality, nice quantity!
Again, most of the reviews on here already mention the wonderful things about the property in depth (look at Jross46 from 5/20/07 or scooterboss 4/12/07 and I agree with every word of both – except I didn’t get married – yet!) so I just give a few of my personal insights.
The facial I had with Kendall (1 hour wildflower facial with 1/2 hour massage) was one of the best of my LIFE! No, its not deep cleansing – no extractions. But I didn’t care as it wiped away every bit of stress I had and left my skin healthy and glowing. She was an amazing therapeutic technician and I recommend you pony up the $175 for this treatment (plus tip). The treatment room itself was gorgeous and in keeping with the overall Post Ranch Inn vibe – woody/earthy but not “hippy-dippy.” The products were of the highest quality – Jurlique. Though the spa itself was not very large, as a guest you have the cliff-side soaking tub (featured in photos of the resort as the infinity pool – and not chlorinated, by the way! Not sure what they use to sanitize, but it was nice and no smell at all.), so you can always do that before or after. A steam room would be nice, though. Also, when my bf and I had in-room massages, the therapists only had to bring one table as each room has a table stashed under one of the furniture cubbies. Smart.
A heads up: If you are an internet addict as my bf is, you will want to book one of the Butterfly rooms as the wireless internet is available in the Library and broadcasts from there, but neither I nor reservations were sure how far it reaches; kudos to Michael in reservations who elucidated that. There are not TV’s in the rooms, either, but there is a medium-sized flat screen in the Library, along with tons of books and free magazines and newspapers. BYO DVDs, though; satellite television signal is also available.
The staff was always super-helpful and went out of their way in all tasks. In fact, I believe that at about 32 rooms, there was far more staff than guests. This carries through in the nature of calm efficiency in all the guest services – room service to car service to small things like keeping trails tidy.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank fdldd
Reviewed June 5, 2007

This place is unique. It is expensive, but once you are there, you are taken care of in amazing ways. It's great not to have to worry about paying for the treats in the room, or the nature walks, shaman session or yoga. And all of these are top-notch - as one reviewer said "you only live once" - we were glad we tried all these. The staff really seem to want you to relax and renew. They are all interesting people to talk with, too. Don't miss:
-- the soaking tub at sunset
-- walk with Mr. Post
-- drive down Hwy 1
-- shaman session
-- massage
-- yoga
-- facial
This is bringing back memories! Did I say the architecture is amazing and that the views are incredible? Book way in advance, though. And be warned, no tennis or golf. Bring hiking shoes & bathing suit instead.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank HDTCa
Reviewed May 19, 2007

We booked the Post Ranch Inn for our wedding based on reviews from this website. What an amazing experience. We booked their elopement package. Every person we dealt with from start to finish was wonderful. The best part about the package was how little we had to do. We e-mailed a few times with their wedding coordinator and non-denominational officiant, Soaring, and she was just great. We had to decide on our preferences for a few things, and that was it. Easy!

We arrived right in time for check in. They have a fleet of Lexus SUVs and Sergio drove us around the property and to our room after we checked in. The check in process was great and everyone was just so very nice - happy to have us. We booked one of the north ocean houses and it was amazing! See pictures attached for the view from the room, and of the room itself. We just sat right down on the patio and had a little picnic (full mini bar with snacks - complimentary). Yes, this place is expensive, and the ocean house very expensive. But I have to say, it's worth it. We couldn't have been happier. The spa tub was wonderful. The bed was so very comfortable. The shower is the only thing I can complain about. I was a little surprised it wasn't a fancy shower head given the attention to every detail here. Water pressure was good. Nice extra amenities in the bathroom. Great Bath sheets. I love big huge towels! Robes were nice too.

They have people there to drive you wherever you want to go on the property, or in Big Sur. We didn't take them up on that, but I thought that was a great perk. I can't imagine driving the PCH after a few drinks at dinner, so if you plan on having a few drinks - make arrangements with them for a ride! They also have 2 convertibles on the property for guest use.

The property itself is so beautiful and well maintained. Take a walk down one of the trails if you have the time. Along the trails are water coolers stocked with water bottles for the guests. The infinity pool is quite lovely (we did not go in) but much smaller than it appears on their website. More like a hot tub size. The regular pool is very nice also - but for some reason no one was using it. Could have something to do with it being May.

There were hammocks throughout the property. Benches. Beautiful flowers. Turkeys, deer, condors, lizards, lots and lots of butterflies, hummingbirds. Just so so lovely. We had a visitor at our room - a little bird - he would jump up at the windows and peck at them, like he was knocking to come in. It was really neat. The whole place smells of lavender which grows all over the property. Also, the soap in the bathroom is lavender. So now that we are home, a little bit of lavender lotion brings me back to post ranch in a second. Such an amazing experience.

Yes, the restaurant is under construction, but they do their very best to make sure you don't notice, and we really didn't. The temporary restaurant is very nice, but you don't get the view that the regular restaurant has. Our room did, so we didn't feel like we were missing out. We only had breakfast at the temporary resaurant, which was complimentary for resort guests. Not a great variety, but the quality was fantastic. Again, the people in the restaurant were so friendly and happy to be there.

We had dinner at the Redwood Grill (a bit north of the resort) which was pretty good, and not very expensive. It appeared to be a local hangout. We also had dinner at the Big Sur River Inn (also a bit north of the resort). Food was pretty good. Hostess was snotty. Waitress was nice. I think it was $18 or $20 for my chicken dinner. They have these great seats out by (and in) the river in the back of the restaurant. Check it out if you can. Nice outdoor seating, although we sat inside. We went in to Big Sur Bakery. It was late in the day, so perhaps that was the reason, but we found the selection to be minimal and people snotty. Kind of a disappointment given the rave reviews the place has gotten.

Our wedding day was incredible. Perfect day - 73 degrees - not a cloud in the sky. After breakfast we just sat on our patio and stared at the view all day. Soaring performed our ceremony and she was just so great. We couldn't imagine it any other way. Their pastry chef made us a little wedding cake and she decorated it with Big Sur roses - little tiny pink ones. Just so lovely. The flowers they put in our room, and the bouquet and boutinnier were also lovely. Everything was perfect. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to book a few extra days. Two days wasn't enough. Hopefully one day we will return. I can't imagine a more perfect place on the planet.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple