“If I could score it 6 I would”
Review of Post Ranch Inn

Post Ranch Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We decided to stay here to see if it came up to expectations - it did. I guess when you look at the rate you could argue 'too much' - but I think it is about value not price. We were nervous it may be over promising but that wasn't the case.

From the moment we arrived the service was unobtrusive but impeccable. We were made so welcome by the reception staff who served us bubbles while they explained everything. Whisked to our coast room in the Lexus and everything unloaded for us with the minimum of fuss - then THAT view...

The upper coast room had a wonderful aspect and it was helped by a cloudless day. We pretty much spent half our time sat on that deck thereafter - at all hours - marvelling as the forest creatures passed quietly by, all of them in families of various sizes - deer, turkeys, partridges, rabbits, chipmunks, humming birds, eagles, etc etc...

The room service we ordered was perfect - everything arrived quickly and just as we ordered it (I'm fussy what goes on my burger..). Very comfortable on our deck, it meant we didn't have to leave the view.

The room was extremely comfortable - I particularly liked all the little touches like binoculars and easy to light firewood. The toiletries are wonderful. I have never in my life actually bought more of the shower gel - until now! The scent of it takes me back there.

I'd recommend an early start to make the most of it - we were rewarded by being above the clouds one morning as they rolled back off the cliffs you sit on top of - just stunning.

Breakfast was a delight - first there we had the pick of tables, inside or out the views are all fantastic. The selection of home made mini cakes got my waistline in real trouble, but it was all delicious, sweet and savoury.

Our first full day we explored - what a peaceful charming place. The woodland and meadow trails take you to some really pretty places, and the backdrop of the mountains behind is always a treat waiting through the gaps. The infinity pools - with waiter service IN the pool - are a delight. A real slice of paradise after a good walk.

Our highlight was dinner in the restaurant - we are lucky enough to have tried a few places and the restaurant here is right up with the very best. We thought the service was absolutely excellent - friendly, efficient and timely. The sommelier made a great choice for us - we gave him a budget and he didn't even get near it, but it was perfect. The tasting menu is very generous - go hungry and you will not be disappointed. A very memorable meal In a wonderful setting.

While we were setting off for dinner we spied the housekeeping staff who must have been aware of our booking and were quietly waiting for us to go to dinner to service our room. The same thing happened at breakfast - when we came back the room had been serviced - beautifully. A lovely touch and so relaxing compared to the usual knock and enter when you are stepping out the shower!

Another evening I ate at the bar alone while my girlfriend caught an early night. Out on the terrace I was able to use their massive telescope - under expert supervision - I've never seen the rings of Jupiter for real before! I'm glad I stayed up!

We thought every aspect of our stay was wonderful - even checking out - which we HATED doing - was effortless. Our car was waiting and our luggage placed in it while we settled up without us even noticing.

This is one of the very best places we have ever stayed and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for the coast views - they are worth the extra
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank martinwilliams10
Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed June 30, 2014

What a weekend on of tranquility and peace of mind. I booked this for our 10th anniversary and it was worth every penny. Not only were the grounds exquisite, but the food and service were top notch.

As soon as you arrive you are greeted with a glass of wine or champagne and the friendliest staff on earth. They quickly go over everything and take you up to your room. You don't have to lift a finger.

When we arrived I had booked a tree house with an ocean view, and it was a great room. Nothing to complain about at all but when I saw the views from the Ocean Rooms there was no place I'd rather stay.

I went down to the office and told the guys my dilemma and even offered to pay for the upgrade since it was my mistake. Without hesitation they not only found me an ocean room for the second night but offered to keep my rate the same which was very much appreciated.

So we got the best of both worlds. We staying the tree house the first night and had the best surprise when it was night time. There is a triangular window in the roof that shows nothing but stars at night, it was incredible to stare at while lying in the bed.

The next day we switched rooms and enjoyed the experience of complete privacy as we sat on your deck literally cliff side with nothing but the ocean to look at.

If you are not into privacy and relaxation then this is not the place for you. Besides dinner or the dipping pool you may not see another person.

Now on to the food. This hotel has you covered. From the free snacks and drinks in the room to the amazing food at the Sierra Mar for dinner and breakfast I could not of asked for a better time.

My one piece of advice to anyone who is going. When you choose your dipping pool always try to get a seat at the one near the restaurant first, because that one has waiter service all day for drinks and food and if relaxation is what you had in mind then not getting up to get a drinks is what you will want.

I am already looking forward to my next trip up there to just get away and see the friendly staff again.

It seems expensive on paper but once you have the experience you know it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money to get one of the ocean houses. Incredible!
1  Thank Jason F
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I wanted to come here so bad. When my husband had to cancel a cruise at the last minute, he made it up by taking me here. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful man:))
Now he can't wait to go back. He has traveled all over the world and this is his favorite place.

We stayed in the tree house, and then moved to one of the bigger rooms. We enjoyed the smaller tree house better. It was just more cozy and romantic. Fireplaces and a little private deck.

The staff spoiled us with just the right amount of attention.
They make sure you do not worry about a thing or lift a finger.
World class service.

We enjoyed a couples massage, it was nice. Spa very tiny.

The soaking tubs are a must. Perched on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
Next time I want to go at night.

I toured the gardens, and learned the chief uses fresh pickings for the menu. After the tour, the gardener showed us the bee hives. The young couple on the tour had just got engaged;) he picked the perfect place to "pop" the question.

This is now our special romantic place:)
and
I hope to go back soon

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank steve o
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stunning location with exceptional ocean view.
Stayed for 3 nights during our trip from San Francisco to LA. We loved the romantic quiet setting and good service. The nature walk was interesting and a good exercise with some bathing included, and we had the most wonderful guide.
Loved the food, spa treatment. This is the ultimate romantic getaway.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ola V
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Beautiful location and grounds on the ocean side of highway 1. Houses or Cottages are of comtemporary design and nicely appointed inside and separated from the other cottages for a total feeling of privacy. Meals are prefix at the dining room with excellent views and on the high side of course. We enjoyed an Ocean House/Cottage with excellent views and total privacy. You get what is advertised. Definitely Five Star. Expect the total cost with dinners to be around $1,000/day, or more, depending on the booking season. Worth the experience even if just a short weekend stay. Pleasant, Private and Romantic!

Room Tip: Mountain or Oeans, all are excellent. Check for ocassional promotions.
2  Thank AnthonyVic
Reviewed June 24, 2014

One of the best hotels in the US, maybe the World!
Stayed in Dani butterfly suite! Beautiful mountain and ocean views! Dinner at Serra Mar a must.
Request a corner table near the window-it's like dining over the Pacific Ocean!
Do not forget to view the amazing stars at night. Like nothing you have ever seen!

Room Tip: Slate Coastal Room Dani Butterfly Room
3  Thank Sparty59
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The Post Ranch Inn has long been on my list of places to visit, so we decided to spend two nights at PRI for a milestone birthday earlier this month. To ensure we received the room we wanted (the Cliff House further away from the restaurant), I booked months in advance of our stay and spoke with the PRI reservations personnel regarding our room choice.

Many TripAdvisor reviewers have extolled the virtues of PRI, and I can say that it met and exceeded our expectations. Our room was named "L&B Post," one of the two Cliff Houses overlooking the water. While slightly farther away from Sierra Mar than the other Cliff House named "M. Post", the two Cliff Houses sit next to each and either would have been fine for our visit. The Cliff Houses sit south of Sierra Mar, and thus are among the newer rooms.

We loved the warmth of the room’s architecture and decor, including the thoughtful touches such as radiant heated floors and motorized blackout shades. We used the hot tub on our room's deck for an early morning soak and for stargazing at night. The deck chairs on the balcony were particularly pleasant for late afternoon reading and enjoying the champagne welcome gift in our room. Other observations:

• The room was spotless (thank you, to the housekeeping staff).
• Good water pressure in the shower.
• Snacks in our mini-fridge were a nice touch.
• No problems with wi-fi in our room.
• Very nice breakfast buffet selections at Sierra Mar. I consumed a lot of bacon.
• Enjoyed the lovely 9-course dinner tasting menu at Sierra Mar, which left us quite full. The tasting menu did not include morels (which were on the non-tasting menu). Upon request, the chef prepared a delicious bowl of morels for us.
• A number of lovely hikes are within close driving distance from PRI. Walking around the property is nice, too.
• We flew direct from JFK to SFO, picked up our Hertz rental car, and were at PRI by late afternoon.
• Only four stars for value, which is a function of the high cost of the room (but I would splurge again).

We do plan to return to PRI. I just wish it wasn’t so far from New York.

Room Tip: We loved L&B Post, one of the two Cliff Houses (the other is named M. Post) for the space, views...
5  Thank NYCityTravelers
Carmel River Inn
#8 of 24 in Carmel
Carmel Mission Inn & Fuse Lounge Cafe
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!