Post Ranch Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
Lucia Lodge(Big Sur)
  • Breakfast included
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
1,178 results
All reviewssierra martree housepacific suiteinfinity poolbutterfly roomupper coastglass of champagnethe cliffworth every pennymini barupper butterflyocean viewhot tubstocked fridgeheaven on earthbucket listcrackers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed at Post Ranch Inn the month it opened, (when infinity pools hadn't started trending and garden to table kitchens were a new idea,) so were forgiving of anything that wasn't quite perfect. Subsequently, the price has skyrocketed and it has found it's way into every travel Top Hotel list, so it seems to have gone from being a place for the adventurous traveler who loves the idea of a tree house or earthhouse accommodation to a bucket list destination for the wealthy. That being said, the setting is spectacular, the concept is wonderful and very romantic. I would encourage anyone to see it for themselves as it made a lasting impression. (My review will say Sept. 2013, but it was 93---is that too long ago?)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank vashonsialnd
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Let me begin by stating that I didn't really have any expectations for the property except that it was highly recommended by various websites.

When we arrived for a two night stay, we were greeted kindly and given a glass of champagne and the typical forms to sign. Then we were left alone at the table to wait for our room to be ready (about 15 minutes or so). We had to ask for a map of the property and were not given any kind of orientation or introduction….

The Treehouse (Hathaway) we reserved was a big let down. The decor is so dated and tired. It felt like it was from the 1970's. There are a lot of windows with shades but the skylights let the sun in the morning. I was glad I had brought a sleep mask.

There was a smoke detector that had a flashing white light that blinked 24 hours a day.

It happened to be very hot last week when we were there and the a/c unit did not cool the entire room. We called the front desk and a very nice maintenance man came and cleaned the a/c filters….they were caked with dust/dirt. He brought us a small fan for the bathroom because that part of the treehouse would not cool off. The a/c unit would not stay on - it only worked on automatic. It turned off and on all night and was very noisy.

Re: the bathroom - we could not shower at night because you can see into the shower at night through the shade and it faced the driveway. Also, the stool you needed to step in/out of the tub was wobbly.

By the way, the outdoor hot tub is not a jacuzzi. It is a meditation tub that doesn't have jets or get really hot. There is no temperature control. It does have a beautiful view and relaxation area with chaises and umbrellas.

FItness center: This must have been a total afterthought. It is a small out building adjacent to an employee work area. There is no view at all and no tv in the room or on the cardio equipment. There is no a/c, fans or cross-breeze - which made it unbearable last week. It was one of the strangest hotel fitness centers I have ever seen.

Sierra Mar - Dinner was very good and the service was excellent. The breakfast buffet had a great variety of options and was good. The breakfast staff was pretty invisible - they never cleared a finished plate. We had to move our used plates to an unoccupied table in order for them to remove them.

For the price paid, I would have expected not to have so many annoyances.

Most of the staff was very pleasant. They will drive you to local restaurants for dinner and pick you up, which is a nice perk.

When we checked out, our driver showed us a new room on the cliff. It was magnificent. It was nothing like the Tree House. If you must stay at Post Ranch, get one of the newer rooms to the south of the restaurant.

I know we will be back to Big Sur again - but we will stay somewhere else. I sort of feel like this place is the Emperors New Clothes - it's not really that special. You can get this view all along Big Sur.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
19  Thank mkbmkb
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The location, view, food, and service, were extraordinary! My husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary there. The spa services were also fantastic! The bed was not as comfortable as I hoped it would be, and the bathroom was very poorly lit. I still rate this property as excellent, because everything else strongly exceeded our expectations!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Annette B
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We spent one night at Post Ranch Inn, which just wasn't long enough! As you would expect from somewhere in this price range every detail had been carefully thought through, and nothing was too much trouble. Our treehouse was such a beautiful hideaway, the perfect place to relax and admire the scenery. It really didn't matter that we didn't have an ocean view, and the log burning fire made it really cosy and homely. I highly recommend visiting the infinity hot tub too -it's a great experience to look out over the Pacific whilst you soak. The breakfast was also fantastic - great variety, with lots of healthy options. The only negative in an otherwise flawless experience was dinner at Sierra Mar which was good, but extremely overpriced, but this didn't stop us from having a really wonderful stay. I just wish we could have stayed for longer!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Clare M
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Spectacular views from this property perched on a cliff with sweeping ocean vista surrounded by redwoods. Great rooms in treehouse/forest or on the cliff top facing ocean. wonderful trail through woodland, woodburning stove in rooms and stunning restaurant. Very expensive.......

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends