“Great return stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sydney, Australia
“Great return stay”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

This is an amazing property. Magnificent location and appeal. A few small downsides... annoyingly we weren't acknowledged as return guests even though it was my third visit and it grates to be asked various times if this was first visit. Our room was also one of the more dated older rooms with a very smoky fireplace and some room design flaws, ie no privacy for bathroom. And the restaurant staff can be a little LA sulky. That aside, it was a wonderful stay. Champagne in the outdoor heated pools, swimming in their larger pool, bush walks, the fauna and flora, two great massages, wonderful food at breakfast and dinner and the true step up in service over other hotels such as driving you to nearby restaurants in their hybrid Lexus'. The walk from the room to restaurant is one of my favourite memories, those amazing trees, the treehouses, the views of the Pacific between the cliff houses and trees... magic. Will be back, as first time visitors...

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EK201

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Mountain View, CA
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am very torn about how to rate this experience. Clearly, the location and amenities at Post Ranch are excellent. I have been waiting to visit this place for a long time, and felt we could splurge at the end of last year. When I booked the reservation online, I almost backed out when I saw the price. I don't think I've ever spent this much on a night at a hotel, even our fantastic all-inclusive honeymoon bungalow at an amazing small resort in Hawaii. I'm still grappling with the "value proposition" of the place. I doubt we will make a repeat visit.

Price aside, it was an excellent experience for these reasons:

- Uniquely beautiful accommodations. We booked an oceanfront large unit (Meadows) which had a whole wall of windows looking out onto the Pacific. We saw whales and dolphins in the morning (with binoculars). Private hot tub on our deck. Mini bar stocked with free goodies (and a complimentary bottle of champagne as it was my birthday!).

- Gorgeous grounds with hiking trails and unique amenities

- Really first-rate massage experience at the spa (we booked a couples massage instruction class)

- Sumptuous free breakfast included as part of the room package

Negatives:

- Price. We could have stayed for five nights at our favorite places in Napa, San Francisco or Carmel for the same price as one night here. Even as a "once in a lifetime" spluge, it felt overpriced.

- Limited dinner options at Restaurant. On the night we first arrived, we had a reservation for dinner at the restaurant (only one restaurant on the grounds since it is a small resort). The menu was a four course meal, over $100 per person without wine. The food was good, but nothing super memorable. I only learned the next day that we could have ordered items individually from the menu.

- Our room (Meadows) might be uncomfortable for guests during the summer. Because of its orientation, there was a blast of direct sun most of the afternoon that heated the room. This wasn't an issue in December, but might be a problem in the warmer months.

Room Tip: See comments above on the Meadows room. Might want to avoid it during the summer.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Karleshyogi
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Beautiful place well worth the visit. Big sur location is amazing and this hotel makes it even better. The rooms are so nice and comfortable, the service is great and the view is amazing. Loved it all

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason J
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our son took us for lunch at the restaurant but the food was nothing much to write about.What took my breath away was the view of the ocean from the side glass panel and the biggest surprise was that we got to watch whales!
Their garden is simply beautiful and tranquil.
Simply out of this world!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed January 2, 2014

When we first stayed at Post Ranch Inn in August, I was so captivated by our stay that I immediately booked our second stay that same week we came back home!

I decided to write a second review as this time we stayed in one of the Treehouses (previously it was Peak House). The Treehouse is a different experience from Peak House in that it had more of a rustic feel (I use the word "rustic" rather loosely). The design of the room is simply stunning, with windows everywhere (including a skylight from above) to capture the woods around you. I love the large window next to the shower in the bathroom to feel like you're taking a shower in the woods (don't worry, there's a mesh screen you can lower if you're squeamish about someone looking in on you). Similar to my "complaint" with the Peak House, I feel they could have added a few extra areas to hang the towels without compromising design.

My other "disappointment" was that it certainly didn't feel like I was staying in a treehouse. The room is so well thought out and luxurious that you forget you're suspended above the ground! Pictures of the room on the website are accurate, though I think look better in person!

We ate all our breakfast, lunches and dinners at Sierra Mar. The food is excellent considering the remote location and you can tell the chef tries hard to create innovative and interesting dishes that changes with the season. During our stay, I had skate, wild boar meatloaf and bison short ribs as examples of dishes you normally don't find in most restaurants. If I had to be picky, I think they could be a little more innovative with their desserts. I felt like all the effort was in the appetizer and entree.

Our 2-day stay was as magical as last time. Words really can't describe how pampered you feel when you are here. This time around, we actually decided to venture out of the resort to hike around Alfred Moreno (sp?) and Pfeiffer Big Sur Park (both located a short drive north of the inn) which is definitely worth to venture out, even if you aren't avid hikers. There are a lot of easy trails that can be walked in an hour or less. However, if you don't want to leave, there's various trails within the property that are just beautiful and amazing. We've roamed the property 4 times and I "guarantee" you will spot deer roaming around each time. Also, because it's such a large property, you don't find anyone else ruining your moment. The feeling of being "alone" with the redwoods trees is indescribable.

The biggest regret about our stay was that I didn't reserve it longer. We really tried to stay an extra night, but unfortunately, they were completely booked. Despite being completely booked, it never felt chaotic or busy, which was a huge plus. I think all the guests who stay here want peace and quiet, so if that is what you are looking for, you will enjoy your stay here immensely!

There is no doubt, I would stay here sooner than later (I just need to save up some $$), however, I would definitely stay at minimum 3 nights as 2 nights really didn't feel like it was enough.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca Z
DanPriano, General Manager at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear friend,

We thank you for your very thoughtful and descriptive review of the Ranch. We were delighted to hear you also found the Tree House accommodation all you were expecting. We believe our Tree Houses are some of the most architecturally beautiful accommodations throughout our property.

We appreciate your suggestions about the additional hooks and we will reevaluate that idea. We appreciate your very high ratings about your dining experiences at Sierra Mar restaurant and suggestions about our dessert offerings.

We lament hearing you were not able to extend your stay due to us being booked out. May we kindly remind you, as a return guest you can book a future reservation up to a year in advance.
It is a very rewarding feeling to hear you say only 2 to 3 nights as our guest, are simply ‘not enough’.

Your continued patronage is evermore appreciated by all of us here at the Ranch and you are always welcome back when you are ready for another peaceful re treat on this Pacific coastline haven.

With warm regards,

Dan
New York
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We came to Post Ranch at the end of October for what I believe might be our 10th stay. We tried a new room this time, the Peak house. This is one of the newer rooms and is an identical version of the Pacific suite but with a view of the mountains. Again, the rooms are simply amazing. From the views, to the beds, to the bathroom, to the amenities (love the free food and the free wi-fi) to the fire place, to...well evertyhing. And of course the spa service, and the free breakfast and the impecable grounds all make for a combination that simply can't be beat. Of course I need to mention the staff, almost everyone greets you with a smile and they all go above and beyond to make sure that you're happy. A special mention for Jorge Macias who works at the front desk. They should film Jorge for a day and screen it to all hotel management students as the way to properly take care of a guest. And I will break off my adulation for a brief moment to mention two items that will prove I'm not paid by the hotel. Upon check-in we were greeted by a young man who I have never seen before and I believe was there on an internship. He had a russian name that I can't recall, but he clearly had not been versed in the ways of greeting a guest properly. In fact he was surly and borderline rude, I'm glad to say that we never saw him again and I hope he was sent off to take care of the literines before leaving the property for good. My other item deals with the food. A new chef began last year, the previous chef had the unusual distinction of never failing to provide us with culinary perfection. The new chef is certainly very good and his menu is marked with dishes of excellence and genius. Yet a couple of the choices can only be described as underwhelming. Yet it should be noted that this is not the case for the majority of the dishes. So those are the only two negative points, but certainly don't let them deter you. It's worth taking a loan to experience a few nights in my favorite hotel in the world.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great, if you have the budget splurge on the ocean front rooms. If you're tra...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear drbroadway,

We thank you for taking time to share your latest experience at the Ranch. I does not get old to hear your glowing reviews about our accommodations, spa services, restaurant, and staff. Thank you for mentioning the endless list of complimentary amenities we offer including the in-room minibar, daily breakfast at Sierra Mar, Wi-Fi, and daily guest activities. Although by all indications your stay lived up to your expectations, we regret the shortcomings you experienced during your initial greeting process and with some of the food offerings at Sierra Mar. Certainly these issues are correctable and you’re positive suggestions are what will allow us to improve on all areas of service.

We hope to welcome you back sometime in 2014.

With warm regards,

Dan
Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Went for our 43rd.wedding anniversary. We learned at the airport that wildfire was raging in Big Sur. We learned from the hotel the fire having already destroyed 15 homes was a scant 3mi. away. The hotel ( not even the right word ) was open as Hwy. 1. Booked months in advance we decided to wing it and accept the consequences. Boy were we glad we did. Ok. Price is always mentioned , let's get that out of the way. Well worth it on all accounts. If your looking for the utmost in relaxation on your own . For several days we felt the majestic cliffs & coastline descending from our room were our very own. Simply unparalleled.

Staff is low key. Informally dressed , more like family. ( except way better ) they are ready to attend your every need or whim. Need a ride to lunch, dinner or your room, pick up the phone, your chauffeured Lexus awaits. Very nice to not have to mess with your car. My suggestion is to simply go for a single Ocean House casita. Ours Molera # 116 was by itself at the end of line. A bit further on was the most amazing infinity pool / spa ever. Never saw anyone use it. But the water was always heated perfectly & loads of fresh towels awaited just in case. Gonna bring a bathing suit next time.

Can't speak to the other rooms but ours had a bathing area separated from the sleeping , reading , patio , cocktailing areas by a fireplace . Use it a lot as we did for over the top ambience & returning from dinner a freshly laid fire awaited, every night. Bedding was comfortable & plentiful. The only thing between you and the coast was walls of glass. You may not be into mood lighting but literally every light in the room was adjustable in that manner, loved that aspect.

A complementary buffet breakfast is arrayed daily in the dinning room. Floor to ceiling glass walls separate you from the Pacific far below. Fresh fruit & juices , incredible pastry, eggs, waffles, Bkfst meats, potatoes, it's all there. Dinner in the dining room apparently changes nightly. Only ate there one evening. It was a Spendy 4 course affair that in terms of everything else was only ok. Certainly didn't detract from our overall experience of the Post Ranch Inn. It had been on our bucket list for quite awhile. Put on yours . For 4 nights in mid-December 2013 it was perfect. Can't wait to return.

Stayed December 2013
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,279 reviews
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!