“Great service, location and rooms but disappointing dinners”
Review of Post Ranch Inn

Post Ranch Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here a few nights March 2013 for our anniversary. Service right from check-in was excellent and attentive. We booked an Ocean room which was very comfortable and had a great view. We especially enjoyed the fireplace which the resort kept ready every night. Weather cooperated and we saw whales right from the balcony on the clear afternoons. The spa experience was fine (no better or worse than other high end spas). Morning yoga in the yurt was a good way to start the day and the breakfasts were good. Only major negative was dinner at the restaurant. First, it is a prix fixe menu though they do allow you to order a la carte if you really want. Second, the menu is quite inventive (lots of unusual combinations of ingredients) BUT the execution is poor. The dishes were flat and much less tasty than they should have been. The fact that the waitress lost our order and so our meal was over an hour delayed certainly did not help. Thankfully we ordered some great wines and enjoyed them and the sunset. So net, great place I would go back to but would dine elsewhere.

better than expected: Service, Room, SPA, Yoga, local Hikes

worse than expected: Dinner

room tip: splurge for the Ocean room. Expensive but then why else would you stay here?

Room Tip: Splurge for the Ocean room. Expensive but then why else would you stay here? We asked for one away...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SFtravelbuffs
Write a ReviewReviews (1,157)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The view is simply breathtaking . The rooms are furnished in a kinda funky luxury - a lot of unfinished redwood, etc.

But for nearly $1200 a night I have to compare this with what others are offering. That's a lot of scratch and things better be perfect.

As it is, there was another place above us - another dwelling - and we had a few hours of bliss until we had new neighbors. I was trying to take a nap when I heard what could only be a piano being pushed around upstairs. Isn't it carpeted upstairs? (it is downstairs, it should be upstairs) - and what on earth were they moving? They only moved stuff around for an hour. so I eventually got in my nap, but really? Resorts fault? I don't think so, except that the rooms should be properly sound-insulated. My girlfriend thought they were setting up a massage table, but that doesn't take that long or make that much sound. That might have just been part of it.)

The restaurant has a tasting menu. This is something I love to do. Two night before I was at Atelier Crenn in San Francisco for a great, elaborate, lovely, delicious, creative tasting menu. Was hoping for the same at Post Ranch's restaurant. I don't want to be mean, but it simply wasn't remotely in the same category. Not in any of those categories. The most disappointing tasting menu ever. Nothing about it stood it out - not the presentation, the concept, execution or taste. Nothing was awful mind you, but not one course entered my mouth and produced that "Wow" moment you get with a credible haute cuisine venue. One of the chefs had experience at Manresa - which would naturally raise expectations. But this was not a 2nd rate Manresa. However, the chef in charge came from Casanova in Carmel - not what I would call a serious restaurant. Service was great and personable. As was the stellar view from the restaurant. Like dining in the clouds.

The breakfast buffet was terrific. Easily one of the best in my travels.

Room Tip: No regrets staying here. Just wish it was half the price - which would still be pricey.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ribbonaire
Reviewed April 8, 2013

There comes a time when you put yourself first and decide it's time for a special stay somewhere. I was lucky enough to have someone treat me to the pleasure of Post Ranch Inn which is worth every penny (and yes, it costs lots of pennies)! The value is in the way in which you are treated from the time you arrive. With grace, with warm hospitality and with amenities that make it so easy to be there. We stayed in a tree house, views into the woods, spacious, fabulous bed, wonderfully well appointed with wine, fruit, well stocked (gratis) frig, soaking tub and even TECHNU for poison oak! Yoga in a yurt in the morning, strolling along the trails on the property, sitting quietly by the meditation pools--all wonderful. I agree with another review that the restaurant was a disappointment--great views, drinks and breakfast. Dinner was over priced, small not very good dishes, and in need to a rethinking. The best plan if you choose PRI is to eat dinner elsewhere--Nepenthe Inn is not far away and has great views too. Even Ventana Inn, less intimate but just across the street (you can walk) would make for a better choice. Or, you could happily eat up what's in your room and forget dinner. Drink up! Watch the stars!!

Room Tip: Tree house is wonderful if you can get one. Otherwise, all the rooms (actually your own "cabin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank KyotoJulie
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I love Post Ranch, the views ,the quietness, the trees, the full moon while in the pool at midnight.
You would think that a place like this would have a restaurant that was just as amazing and would beckon you back night after night. The menu is a tasting menu (a 4 and 9 course) and the portions are very small and nothing to get excited about. Our wagu beef main course came out cold after a long... absence of our waiter. It was three small bites for $50 and was lean and tuff. This was NOT wagu beef. And be careful of changing an item. They up charged us to allacart for everything. I do not mind spending money for good food (I have been to the French Laundry several times) but this was ridiculous. Every thing on the menu seems to be the cheapest product you can buy, like black cod and paddle fish roe. You can not get just a good salad or nice piece of fish, a lobster, steak, etc. We left hungry and pissed off. Once you have eaten here there is no reason to come back for very expensive appetizers and bad service. We met other guest from Denmark that went to the deli down the road for dinner the next night. The trend of tasting menu restaurants is over (some one should tell them) With a property like they have, they should be more in touch with a more honest, simple, organic approach, letting the fresh ingredients be the star. They have the garden space, not the vision.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank anthony p
Reviewed March 22, 2013

one of my all time favorite properties anywhere. located on the top of the cliff in Big Sur overlooking the Pacific. Each building/room type has unique character and feels more like your small home. Cali luxurry comfort. nothing stuffy about this place but completely upscale. The cost is as high as the cliff but worth it even for one night. If you can't splurge this time around , at least go for lunch or a sunset dinner. you'll never forget it

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jon v
Reviewed March 22, 2013

What could be better than a priceless view of the Pacific Ocean and delicious California wine and food all at once? this Big Sur resort is AMAZING. When they say rooms with a view, they mean it. first class service pampers you while the mountain air invigorates you. this is relaxation at the top! I would out this stop on your bucket list! DJ

Room Tip: OK its a bit pricey for all that amazing stuff at the edge of the world. So if it tops your budget...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank David J
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I remember 20 Years ago when I was Young and lived on The East Coast I saw an article in Architectural Digest on The Post Ranch Inn and I dreamed about staying There. Now that I have been living in San Francisco for Eighteen Years and have been blessed to be able at The Post Ranch inn 7 times over the Years most recently at the end of last Year I still cant say enough about how excellent this Place is. I remember Billy Post and His amazing nature walks and learned alot from Him. Now He is gone but His amazing spirit is still alive . The Post Ranch Inn is better than ever and more expensive and over the top than ever but what makes it special hasnt changed-it is the beautiful piece of land hanging over the Ocean. It is the Animals and Trees and Birds. It is the ability it has to reconnect Us with The Land and Nature. This place has changed Me as a Person for the better. I remember sitting on the Deck in an Upper Coast House on a clear warm night listening to the Ocean and watching shooting stars for hours. I can remember many firelit nights in The lovely and private Treehouse Rooms and waking up to the wonderful smell of the Forest. I have had so many amazing meals at Sierra Mar watching the Hawks flying over the Coast. My most recent stay in a Treehouse was great as always and the Employees and Management get every detail right and make every Guest feel like a Celebrity. The Infinity pool is beyond words and so are the Spa treatments. I know I am gushing but this place is that great. Originally I came for the rustic luxury but it is the beauty of nature, in its most infinite and surreal form that keeps Me coming back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Carmel River Inn
Carmel River Inn
#7 of 25 in Carmel
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!