“Different Life Zone” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Different Life Zone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Staying here is like being transported into a different life zone where you lose yourself in the utter tranquillity and beauty of the place. It has an understated style that just lets the beautiful surroundings of Big Sur take priority. For instance even small things like the slate colour of the towels blend into the surroundings. Top 3 pleasures for me were the views, the infinity pools and the most amazing beds. It is like climbing into a fairy tale princess bed – they are quite high and super comfortable. The atmosphere rubs off on all the guests. Everyone smiles and says hello. Lots of travellers on Trip Advisor say it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I massively agree. You won’t want to leave. I also recommend reading up on the history of the place (you get books provided in the room) – it gives perspective on why the hotel itself and the service is so good. My only suggestion would be to try a change of scene from the very refined ‘haute cuisine’ hotel restaurant. The other restaurants nearby have similar views but are much less expensive and the hotel will even give you a lift. I also think paying a little more for ocean views was worth it as a big hit for me was the really impressive ocean view - not the moutain view.It’s expensive but I felt it was worth every penny or rather cent.

2 Thank StephanieFB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The place is beautiful. The setting is spectacular and staff charming BUT we stayed in an ocean view suite and at a premium of $1685 it was dark cramped and frankly not worth the money. I had a fabulous room at the Cipriani in Venice for the same money. I know it is a completely different experience but I don't want to spend top dollar to stay in Uncle Tom's cabin Paying a fortune to pretend I am on a budget is just not my style. Next time I will try Ventana Inn.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here chose a mountain room It is a lovely view it's a larger room and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank 761Anonymous
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This place is truly heaven on earth. This was our third visit. This time we stayed 3 nights in a cliff house. The room was huge with magnificent views of the ocean from every room and the hot tub. The service from the front desk to the cleaning staff was friendly, courteous and efficient. The grounds are very well maintained and a pleasure to stroll through. The only drawback is that it is very expensive, but by the same token well worth the splurge for the best views and service. The food and service in the restaurant "Sierra Mar" was also superb. We will return, but this time we would like to try one of the Tree House rooms.

1 Thank marlew76205
Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We came here for four days and stayed in the mountain room. Room was dark very little lights terrible closet space tub difficult to get into and out. Restaurant had subpar food. Service at the pool was exceptional. View was only accessible at restaurant and hot tubs. Very expensive for not a lot of great views of the water.

Room Tip: We saw ocean room extremely tight and dark for the price. Our upper mountain room with view of mount...
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Linda E
curlycue
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon weekend at the PRI ten years ago and it was perfect. We went back this past weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary. With a gift certificate and only one night to spend we blew it plus a few hundred more on a cliff house - private deck with Ocean View.

Well, we saw the ocean for a few minutes upon check in and in the morning the fog was so heavy we couldn't see a thing. The room is approx. $2200 for one night and that doesn't include all the tax and fees. Now I realize we didn't get the best weather but that doesn't often happen in this part of California.

Dinner at the Sierra Mar was very nice - we thought the food was good - also expensive but we enjoyed drinks on the deck and experienced good service.

So I have only this to say - even the non-view rooms are about $1,000 per night. We've decided at these rates, we've had enough of the PRI for a long, long time. I think these people need to rethink their rates as it relates to return business.

We really do like the place but at some point, it just gets ridiculous to spend that amount of money.

Room Tip: I actually found I preferred the little Tree Houses to the fancy Cliff House.
    • 3 of 5 stars
9 Thank curlycue
PJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Heaven on earth - up in the hills, magnificent views whichever way you look. Great service, the nicest people everywhere you go - restaurants, reception, cleaners etc. Landscaping around the resort was also pretty and so pleasing to the eye. And getting around was no problem if you had problems walking around – transport in luxurious Lexus vehicles was easily and efficiently available and you got this service, always with a smile. Meal were also really top notch - a tad expensive for small portions but delicious and really fine dining where portions were manageable. I took many many photos as I revelled in the atmosphere. Every day's sleep was so restful with facilities that were really nearly the best. At night you could have a fire that was quite safely set in a covered recess in the wall. The only problem was the bath tub which presented quite a problem as we tried to step in for a shower. The edges were rather broad and with such sharp edges you really had to be careful. And, without a separate shower facility, this presented problems in daily showers.

As I said I took many photos of this beautiful resort, but somehow I lost heart and I am truly not in the mood to paste the photos! We had an experience that sort of robbed me of all the beautiful experiences. On our last night, at 3.45 am we were rudely awakened by the fire alarm. Imagine how frightening this can be in the quiet of the night, with no one else nearby and the fire alarm was loud, very loud. First of all, we had to check around to make sure that nothing was on fire! We expected that someone would contact us soon to check on the situation. NO ONE DID!! Then we rang the reception and just about every number available there. There was no response – finally after about 20 minutes of frenzied ringing here and there someone picked up the phone and said it was a cable problem and it was being fixed. a feeble apology was offered. It occurred to us then that it took our call to get them moving and that no one had called us to check if everything was okay. How dangerous can that be? Imagine a real life situation when there is a fire and no one from the main office or security is aware of it!

As anyone can imagine, going back to sleep after that was near impossible and when that did happen, it was certainly not a restful sleep. It is interesting though that after that, no one even mentioned what happened as we checked out. It was as if it had not happen and there were no apologies or anything – as what would be the norm in such a traumatic experience. The only one who said anything and that too was as a result of our comment, was the driver who picked up our luggage and noticed we looked restless. He explained that it was a wiring problem. And that was it! Amazing indifference. and it sort of sucks considering the price we paid for the rooms!

Anyway, to add insult to injury shortly after, I emailed the website mentioning this incident – as a reason for us not picking up the free gifts of water bottles. I also mentioned that in the aftermath of the incident, my husband left his spectacles there. i was sort of hoping that they would try to look for it and get in touch with us. we had such an experience once at the Montage of LA with my camera and they actually posted it to us after they called back to say it had been found. But nor Post Ranch Inn. I can now confirm that the indifference towards the whole incident must be a resort attitude. My daughter who booked the rooms for us told us of a similar incident earlier on when she had emailed the site and they had not responded at all. So what does this tell you? While my impression of the resort will not change, I will certainly not go back there again because of the hypocrisy of the service – by which I mean, really they do not care I guess once your booking and their business have been secured. After all they have such fabulous sites – so why bother to go that extra mile when it is needed! What a shame but I am sure there are other equally fabulous resorts along that stretch with perhaps a better attitude towards guests, before, during and after their stays.

Room Tip: Every room is good depending on you budget and whether you like the mountain views or the ocean view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
9 Thank Habibah M
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Don't stay in this hotel if you ever want to enjoy another hotel again. Absolute perfection from arriving with a glass of champagne to the meal at Sierra Mar. It proved to be the perfect retreat for our honeymoon. Every little detail was thought through, we received a bottle of champagne in the room with a welcoming card which contained California wild flower seeds, a jar of homemade cookies, complimentary refreshments in the fridge. The treehouse we stayed in had a view over the Pacific Ocean, which has got to be the best view in the world! We could go on and on and on about how perfect this place is, loved every minute of it, Post Ranch Inn definitely made our honeymoon special.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Big Sur
Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Valley Ranch
#4 of 25 in Carmel
4.5 of 5 stars 1,094 reviews

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!