1,218 results
All reviewssierra martree houseinfinity poolpacific suiteupper coastglass of champagnethe cliffworth every pennymini barspa servicesupper butterflytreehouse roomspecial occasionocean viewhot tubstocked fridgeheaven on earth
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I did 2 nights at the Post Ranch Inn a few weeks ago and I think we must have just gone in with too high of expectations. We just didn't love it as much as we thought we would and were a little disappointed. First - there is no denying that the view from the restaurants and the 2 hot tubs is very very pretty. We were lucky when we were there because the fog stayed pretty close to the water so we were able to see the gorgeous view. You certainly would be disappointed if you stayed there during a very foggy time! Our bellman told us there are days when the fog never burns off. However - on a clear day the view is great.

Once you got past the gorgeous location, there were a few things that were frustrating about the hotel. We stayed in an upper level butterfly room and the room felt outdated - not really 5 star. Granted, we weren't in one of the more expensive rooms with a water view so I am not sure if those get more attention but from the website it looks like they are all similar. The room also had an older air conditioning unit that was pretty loud all night long. We were definitely there during a heat wave so you really needed to keep the windows shut but I would assume other times of the year you could turn off the A/C and just do windows. But - having such a loud A/C and sleeping with a pillow over my head was sort of a bummer. The water also went out completely in our room twice during the 2 days we were there. One time it was just the hot water, then the second time all of it went out. I was in the shower all soaped up with no water! Everything is run by solar energy (which is great) but not so great to be in a shower with no water!

The pool was also a disappointment. There are 2 very pretty hot tubs that have great views over looking the cliff and ocean but when we were there (August) it was over 90 degrees outside everyday so a hot tub wasn't very appealing. They do have a normal pool down in a field that overlooks the mountains but you certainly aren't enjoying the pretty view you came for and we had to leave one day because we were just being attacked by the black flies - bug spray didn't seem to stop them - we tried! I wish that during the hots months they would make one of the hots tubs a normal temperature.

I think if we hadn't had such high expectations we probably would have enjoyed it more!

4  Thank ebm515
DanPriano, General Manager at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Friend,

It is always our intention to exceed our guest’s high expectations and I sincerely apologize we did not exceed yours.

We are currently in the process of updating our air conditioning units to be more efficient and to create a more tranquil environment.

Additionally, your experience with our water is atypical, and I apologize for your experiences in the shower. I have informed our respective managers and staff members of the problems you experienced.

We are always striving to better serve our guests, with this in mind, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. All of us at Post Ranch look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest regards,

Dan

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Add the Post Ranch Inn to your personal bucket list. It is expensive. It is out of the way. It is hard to get to..It is not a Four Seasons in luxury or quality. IT IS WORTH IT.. for the traveler that has the time and mind set to appreciate the truly exceptional nature of the property.
Plan to stay TWO nights to really get the sense of the place and the diversity of the views and weather. While the Ocean cabins are the best, trade down to a less expensive room to stay two nights if that puts the stay within the budget. The additional time spent is really worthwhile.
Go alone or with a significant other. Do not go with children. Enjoy.
While wifi is free leave the phone at home or in your car. They should ban them here.

Room Tip: You do not need a room with an ocean view to enjoy the Ranch. The restaurant, benches, walks and hot pools all overlook the ocean. All rooms are good.
2  Thank Traveler234280
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife’s and my three nights at Post Ranch Inn were magical. We had an “Ocean House” room, which is a standalone structure with a forever view, and my attached picture shows just a slice. There isn’t a sign of civilization from the ocean-facing private back patios, and our third day a doe and her two fawns were feeding 20 feet from our sliding door. From the moment you arrive, it’s a “ten” service experience, beginning with complimentary French Champagne or regional wines of your choice. Check in was quick and painless. Our hike on property through the redwood groves was serene, and we had more deer sightings. The buffet breakfasts are also amazing in one of the most beautiful and romantic restaurants we have seen, which is also where lunch and dinner is served. Dinner on property, while expensive, is world class and the wine list is a blow away—it was just rated in Wine Spectator the week we arrived! All mini bar items, including daily fresh baked cookies, wine and more French Champagne, are included in the room price. We made the mistake of bringing two bottles of wine from our cellar, which we never drank! We went off site for dinner to the Big Sur Bakery, and had a day trip into Carmel—both are not to be missed. The rooms are 20 years old and rustic, with incredible wood and stone design details, and no televisions. What I didn’t understand were other Trip Advisor reviews listing Post Ranch Inn as “terrible.” If you are in the mood for an urban, active vacation with marble flooring and opulent common areas, Post Ranch Inn isn’t for you this trip. Post Ranch Inn is the place to chill, read and let your eyes and mind wander, for a romantic getaway or special occasion.

Room Tip: The ocean house rooms are worth every penny. The rooms north of the restaurant are the 20 year old ones, and are awesome!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DavidMarino
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I read the views before coming here. It is hard to imagine unless you stay here. We stayed in one of the ocean view rooms for two nights. The entire inn is a collection of small buildings housing 1 or 2 rooms. They have the most unusual architecture. Made out of wood, stone and metal, they truly have an organic feel. The sense of serenity was unparalleled. We went on a nature walk with Dava and loved the feel of the property and she was able to give us a wonderful orientation. The fog comes up the cliff in the morning but the hotel is above it all. Feels like you are in heaven. The stars at night are not o be missed. Went to the hot tub after dinner. Truly remarkable. The staff are extremely attentive and helpful. A very magical place. Great breakfast is included as are snacks and wine in room. I'll review restaurant separately. Would return without question. Do the ocean side if you can, but would stay anywhere on property.

Room Tip: We stayed in lower room ocean view. The only downside is that you can hear the people walking above you.
7  Thank Handsrgn
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Without doubt the best hotel I have ever stayed in. We incorporated PRI as part of our recent honeymoon and we were suitably taken aback by everything. Nothing is too much trouble - the staff are amazing. I mentioned to my wife that I would need to head out later and fill the car up as I'd noticed a garage down the road - the staff wouldnt hear of it - and organised it themselves. The room ( we had a tree house) was incredible, the food was gorgeous and the setting and other guests were just lovely - so relaxed and none of the loud obnoxious types you so often find in hotels in this price bracket. 10/10 for everything - book it! You won't regret it!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple