“HONEYMOON!!”

Post Ranch Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We LOVED the Post Ranch Inn. If you can handle driving on Highway 1 is is worth the drive! The staff is so wonderful and it was the best getting away from computers, phones and tv's. The beds where amazing and the views breath taking. I think the only drawback is out GPS was way off with location (could not find it) and the breakfasts are different each morning but SO yummy. This is a great splurge spot for a weekend or midweek getaway! I can not wait to go back. I was nervous that my husband would not like being away from the computer or tv but it was his favorite place from our honeymoon.

Room Tip: the pictures are pretty accurate as far as what the room has to offer the room was just a bit smalle...
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Post Ranch Inn

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We had a "lower panoramic" suite 1,200 feet above the Pacific. From our deck with 2 comfortable teak lounge chairs we could hear the seals below, even when the fog obscured the ocean. The very comfortable room had a great bed, fireplace and large shower/jetted tub combo. The grounds are gorgeous and quiet. Even in the basking pool areas (large heated infinity tubs with ocean views), guests speak in hushed tones. This is a place to relax and reflect. On an early morning walk I saw a deer very close up as well as a flock of turkeys. The Sierra Mar restaurant served a delicious dinner and the waiter recommended an excellent Sicilian Nero d'Avila red wine. Buffet breakfasts each morning are wonderful and we got great box lunches for a hike one day. Dress is very casual; warmups and walking shorts are the order of the day. PRI's pride in the heritage of the settlers who first lived here adds to the charm.

1  Thank BeachLover75205
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I have to agree somewhat with DogLawyer's review, but our experience wasn't as bad. First of all, this property has one of the most beautiful locations in the world and the restaurant is fantastic! We paid $1,500/nt for our room (supposedly a reduced rate) and the room location was amazing! We were able to zacuzzi and sunbath in the nude on our patio with complete privacy and breath-taking views.

Unfortunately, the cushions on the patio furniture must have blown off into the poison oak then were placed back onto the furniture (without being washed) because II had very bad poison oak all over my body for about 3 months after our stay. The bellman who showed us to our room did not know how to work the air conditioner. We asked him to show us how to turn it off (not a simple unit) and he was unable. The room was too cold and the air conditioner buzzed all night. We called the desk in the middle of the night trying to get someone to turn off the air conditioner, but no one answered the phone. For these prices, this was not acceptable.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rainb0wrunner
Reviewed August 9, 2011

What a disappointment.  I need to preface this review by saying I have been fortunate enough to stay in some of the best luxury hotels in the world.  Hotels with phenomenal locations, amazing views, rich history, over the top luxurious accommodations and service that leaves absolutely nothing to be desired.  PRI is not one of those hotels.  It has an undeniably fabulous location and very interesting architecture.  But that is all it had to offer us during our recent stay.

In the sake of brevity I will just list the negatives we experienced.  Many of these things may seem like nit picking, but PRI is charging for perfection.  When you pay $2300 per night for a hotel stay, every detail should be taken care of so that there is no negative to even mention.

- mechanical hum in the room all night long- you shouldn't need ear plugs for a hotel that charges these prices.
-hot tub was a broken, it had the cover on it when we arrived which the bellman told us we could take off ourselves if we wanted to use it.  He said it was working fine.
-bellman was very rude.  Handed us a map when we asked for a recommendation for a hike.  Told us we could walk up to the restaurant later and get a copy of the restaurant menu which the gentleman who checked us in told us to ask the bellman for.  The tour of the property he was supposed to take us on consisted of sitting in the back of the car while he pointed us to the direction of the pool, store, yoga yurt, etc. and told us we could hike by those things later and check them out.  The list of specifics goes could go on forever.  During our entire interaction with him, he was rude.
-room service dinner was cold.  And the person who delivered it was rude.  He suggested we eat dinner sitting on the couch so that he wouldn't have to set up a table for us.
-The rooms are really located on top of each other so that you have no privacy.  We didn't care for the musical taste of the people in the room below us and they played it so loud it completely drowned out the sound of the ocean.  Our balcony was visible from the restaurant, which is open to the public.
-we mentioned the problems we encountered to the front desk, giving them the opportunity to try to rectify the situation.  He seemed disinterested and was unapologetic.
-my husband was very disappointed in the "hiking paths" which are really just service roads that take you past septic tanks and service areas.
-the "pond" was a mud it that smelled of sewage

So many mis-steps for a place that charges such high prices.  I don't mind paying a lot for a fabulous stay in a phenomenal hotel.  This wasn't  a fabulous stay and the hotel facilities just aren't nice enough to warrant the price tag charged.  This isn't the nicest hotel we have stayed in, it isn't even in the top ten.  And the service puts it closer to the bottom of the list.

45  Thank DogLawyer
DanPriano, General Manager at Post Ranch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Dear Friend,

It was with chagrin and great disappointment I read your posting on Yelp. I so wish I had known of the problems you encountered while you were here, and sincerely wish I had been able to address your concerns prior to your departure. I would like to assure you your experience is definitely not typical.

Please accept my apologies for all the circumstances which made your recent visit to Post Ranch such a failure. We certainly fell short of your expectations and of our own standards of excellence. I could touch on each of your comments with an explanation, but the fact remains there are no adequate excuses for what clearly was an unsatisfactory experience.

While we cannot change what happened, we would like to have an opportunity to restore your faith in us. I have forwarded a hard copy of this letter to your home address, and in the spirit of regaining your confindence in us I hope you will return soon.

Warmest Regards,

Dan Priano

Reviewed August 7, 2011

It might be unfair to say that Post Ranch Inn is only worth it if weather permits; since you could say the same about any other hotel in the world. (The Four Seasons in Maui is only great if it doesn't rain right?) But here's a hotel that depends so much on one feature (The View) that if weather doesn't permit, then you might have just wasted your money.

The Rooms - Our Treehouse was beautifully appointed. Clean and modern, our's also had a view of the ocean. It was basically a one-bedroom apartment. The best features were the skylight over the bed and the "reading nook" with pillows and the view of the ocean. Also included is a full mini-fridge with Kettle Chips, Soda, Apple juice, Snickers bars, and water.

The Activities - There aren't many on site things to do really, but I guess that's the point. There are a couple short hiking trails, a couple pools with infinity edges over looking the ocean, a library with a few books, and a spa. They do massages and treatments in your room which is nice. They are standard prices for massages.

The Service - Professional. There is nothing they won't do to try to accomodate you. But I also wouldn't say its the best service; there are some flaws. I had to call twice and wait 30 minutes to have my bags taken away for checkout. I had to walk to my own car down the hill to retrieve something from it; I was not offered a ride back up the steep hill but had to flag down a driver for it. The drink service at the pool was brusk. At these prices, I think service should be anticipating exactly what I want. Period.

Sierra Mar Restaurant - this isn't a restaurant review, but I'll say that dinner is overpriced for what it is. It's not fine dining - it's like a loud bistro with harried service. And the food is New American circa 2003; uninspired to say the least. However, the Complimentary Breakfast every morning at Sierra Mar is a highlight of each morning. There is a full buffet with made-to-order eggs, waffles, french toast, etc. It is an awesome way to begin each day; relaxing with a newspaper and with the view of the ocean.

Other features - They'll give you a Lexus to drive around if you want one. They'll drive you off property if you need a ride.

Conclusion - During our stay, the fog prevented us from seeing anything for the first 24 hours of our stay. It was during this disappointing period of time that you realize that the rooms, service, and amenities are just on par with any other 5-star hotel in the world that may charge half the price for the same room. But once the fog lifted, you realize why you paid double.

But buyer beware - if you can't see the view, you will likely be pretty disappointed. We were lucky, we got the view. Next time we stay, we'll be sure to check the weather report.

4  Thank rorothedog
Reviewed July 30, 2011

It undoubtedly is expensive, but they also deliver to perfection. This is top-notch operation that combines an incredible setting, great room, and very responsive service.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank johngalt_DC
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We have traveled the world for both business and pleasure & found the 'Post Ranch Inn' to be the BEST OF THE BEST! Since we were on a very tight schedule we could only stay one night - yet we would have liked to stay longer. Upon arrival we enjoyed a delicious lunch at the restaurant. A magnificent eagle flew past us alongside the glass restaurant windows. It was a breathtaking experience with a spectacular view.

The 'Meyrose' room was superb. We felt very welcome and comfortable. In the evening we enjoyed an evening dip in the outdoor pool - while enjoying the beautiful ocean view and starry night. It was breathtaking!

We have recommended this hotel to our friends and family. We'll defiinitely be staying here again in the near future!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#2 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!