“Gorgeous view”

Post Ranch Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 22, 2007

We had a great stay and no huge complaints, however, I don't think I was as wowed as some of the other reviewers. Perhaps it is the fact that our room was about $1000/night that is making me be a little picky.

The view from our room was breathtaking---so peaceful and beautiful. The room itself was lovely--I enjoyed the fireplace, the bathtub (which was really difficult to get in and out of!) and of course, the view from our outdoor seating area. The decor of the room was minimalistic and soothing.

Service on the property was fine and unobtrusive---almost too unobstrusive in a way. The man who took us to our room upon check in was relaxed and friendly.

I found the dining room to be above average but not exceptional. Daily breakfast was just okay (the coffee was actually very good) and dinner was inconsistent. One night we dined at the bar and the service and food were great. The second night we sat at a table and our server was not very friendly or helpful. We asked some questions about the wine list and didn't receive much advice. And one day we ordered room service for lunch---my husband's burger, which was ordered medium rare, arrived completely well done. I am sure if we said something, they would have fixed it but we didn't.

The guided walk around the grounds was interesting. We also enjoyed the infinity pool as well as spa services.

One thing to keep in mind about this area is that there is no night life. We aren't party animals but it would have been nice if there was a lounge or bar on the property where you could have an after dinner drink and relax. The restaurant/bar shut down pretty early so there was really nothing to do after dinner. Some people enjoy this but for us, we would have liked just a little more activity.

All in all, it was a very relaxing vacation and the Post Ranch is a very unique and special property. However, for the amount of money you pay per night, I wasn't wowed by anything other than the magnificent view.

Stayed: June 2005, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Dreamsofvacations
There are newer reviews for Post Ranch Inn

Reviewed October 13, 2007

The Post Ranch Inn took our breath away. Amazing boutique property with around 30 rooms all blending with the beautiful surroundings. The staff made you feel extremely welcomed. The hammocks around the property were a nice touch. The infinity pool is incredible and the restaurant overlooking he ocean (recently rennovated) served incredible fare...very vegetarian friendly. The included breakfast buffet every morning was beyond words.

Overall, we did not want to leave and we can not wait to return. The rooms with the huge stone bathtubs facing the mountains and the fireplaces....you can't ask for much more.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BBLA
Reviewed October 8, 2007

I am not sure why anyone would rate this place anything less than 5-stars. My wife and I were in the butterfly rooms and even though we had to move after the first night they handled that transition smoothly and without problem. The staff is excellence as it should be for the price. I think a coastal room would be excellent but not really worth the money and the trehouses are awesome stand alone structures. The food is ecellent, but I would plan on spending $2000/day including the room while you are there, unless you dont have treatments or eat at the resort.

This was worth the money and we will definitely be back

3  Thank Okiedocs
Reviewed October 4, 2007

Where to begin. We searched high and low for an intimate, quiet place to be married. We invited our parents only and did not want the rushed time line of a chapel in Sedona (where brides are waiting in line), or the constraints of a helicopter ride.

So we stumbled on the PR. The photographs looked amazing, and we were attracted by the isolated nature of the property. I won't go on and on, as my words will not do the place justice. The property is calming and quiet.

The PR staff was kind, courteous, and professional during all phases of the reservation process, from the initial phone call to the confirmation. Their wedding coordinator, Soaring Starkey, is a true precious jewel of a lady. The details of our wedding were TAKEN CARE of. Soaring double checked dinner reservations, the wedding time, the flowers, and the photographer. She is a rare combination of an organized manager and calming artistic phenom.

The PR is for being rejuvenated and for slowing down. This trip was a special treat to ourselves for our nuptials. The staff expertly embellished the beautiful locale with their razor sharp quiet service.

1  Thank DagneyT
Reviewed September 24, 2007

Great views, comfortable rooms and top notch staff. This place is a jewel!!!
This gorgeous resort is nestled in redwoods overlooking the Pacific.
We arrived after dark and were greeted at reception by friendly staff and were offered refreshment and then driven to our room in a comfortable Lexus SUV. Our driver told us there were a few vehicles available for guests to drive compliments of Lexus. This came in handy the next day as we left the rented Camry at the inn and drove to San Simeon in a cute Lexus S430 hardtop convertible.
There was a woodburning fireplace, window seat, a deep jetted soaking tub with shower and also and area with a mini fridge and sink area in the room . There was also a private deck that had a relaxing view of a redwood forest and the mountains in the background.
There was a bottle of red wine , a bottle of chardonnay and a split of champagne to welcome us on arrival (our anniversary) .
The room was stocked with cookies, crackers, fresh fruit, soda pop, water and coffee/tea service. (This was replenished each day. )
The complimentary breakfasts served at Sierra Mar were outstanding!
There was a wonderful spa, two heated pools on the edge of the cliff overlooking the pacific and a large lap pool too. There was also a yoga yurt and a fitness center.
No TVs or phones in the room. No cellphone service for me...
I have T-Mobile. ( who needs communications when you are in heaven!)
There was a library (open 24 hours ) with TV, Internet and scads of books of all kinds.
The restaurant, Sierra Mar, is award winning with an extensive wine list and unparralled vies of the pacific coast. We had just one dinner there and it was excellent!
Although we stayed in the least expensive accomodations we were treated as honored guests by all staff.

3  Thank es123
Reviewed September 8, 2007

I could go on and on about this amazing property but I'll stick to the key points. It was amazing. From the check in to the check out, it was perfect. If you're on the fence about whether to spend the money, I suggest you save money elsewhere and splurge on this place. The rooms were all beautiful and the property is extraordinary. The service was great, even to the point of embarassment - you can pick up a courtesy phone and they will pick you up in an SUV and drive you anywhere you want to go on property. You will feel like you have the resort to yourself, even when the place is full. There is wildlife on property, there are three beautiful pool areas and tons to explore. Your room comes stocked with a mini fridge full of drinks, cheese, wine, fruit and snacks, and is replenised every day. The restaurant is very good and reasonable for what you get. The staff are friendly and accomodating. And you leave feeling that you experienced something special. We have stayed at fine resorts across the globe, and this one was really something special. I booked a "butterfly" room and was concerned about the room, as it's one of the more "inexpensive" rooms available (take the word "inexpensive" with a grain of salt). But it exceeded my expectations and was a beautiful room. Don't know what else to say except that we will be back soon. Make sure to have lunch next door at Nepenthe and try the AmbrosiaBurger. You wont forget the food or the view!

5  Thank TorontoJeff76
Reviewed August 30, 2007

I have travelled throughout the world, and have stayed at many high-end properties.

Post Ranch Inn takes the cake. I have nothing but gushes to add to all of the previous positive posts, and I anxiously await my return next year.

This is one of those rare places where the cost truly doesn't matter. You only live once... do it!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#2 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Post Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!