Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
$1,300
$1,525
SmithHotels.com
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
$501
$385
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
$520
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Lucia Lodge(Big Sur)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfranklin roomnon profitstep back in timeeggs benedictwood stovebreakfast and dinnerone of a kinddeetjensjournalredwoodscabinlatchhighwaygrandmacellsettingnature
Reviewed March 20, 2007

When I made my Deetjen's reservation, I told the lady that we would be on our honeymoon and we wanted privacy. No problem, said she, I'll put you in the 13th room. Well, the 13th room, as described by other reviewers, was anything BUT private. Windows that looked out into the parking lot. Thin curtains. Thin walls. Doors that didn't close all the way. When my husband realized that he could hear every word the room next door said, and that they could hear him in the bathroom, we agreed we couldn't stay. I told the nice man at the front desk (which is in the middle of the restaurant) that we couldn't stay, and why--he seemed bewildered, but when you are on your honeymoon, you just don't want to feel that you are providing the other guest's entertainment! Unfortunately, since we'd paid ahead, we couldn't get our money refunded--it seemed to me as though the management should have made that offer, but since the front desk also had no privacy, I didn't want to cause a fuss so I just let the $200 dollars go. The property is lovely, and rustic as advertised, but you need to understand before you book that rustic in this case means no privacy and almost camping-like accommodations. (For eg--the bathroom had no bath, and the shower was one of those all-in-one units you usually see in trailers.) If you come prepared, I think it's fine--but us, it was a huge shock, and a big disappointment.

Stayed: March 2007
13  Thank Lillafury
Reviewed February 8, 2007

My husband and I absolutely LOVED our stay at Deetjens. We stayed for 3 nights in "The 13th Room". It was great - we would recommend this room - it actually consisted of two rooms and had a private bathroom. Yes, the walls are as thin as they say, but the 13th Room had no room above it so at least you won't hear people walking above you. Seriously though, we didn't care much about the people next door - we were way too busy listening to the sound of the fire crackling in the woodburning stove. While not a fireplace, the stove had a glass window so we could relax and watch the flames while chilling out in rocking chairs enjoying the cabin-like feel of the place.

If you go make sure to ask about "the bench"... a short walk up the private empoyees driveway/dirt road will lead you there - what a beautiful view!

Also eat at the restaraunt at Deetjens. Very good for both breakfast and dinner! Near by, you also have to check out dinner at the Post Ranch Inn - incredible food and of course like so many other place around Deetjens a fantasic magical view!

We're from Hoboken NJ, but plan to go back as often as possible. Deetjens and Big Sur have won our hearts for sure!

Stayed: January 2007
7  Thank digity517
Reviewed January 13, 2007

We spent a couple of nights in 13th Room, and had a really great time there. It was beautiful and cool in lots of ways. Big Sur is uniquely beautiful, and Deetjen's is a good place from which to enjoy it. The other guests were mostly former hippie-types who now have money (you could tell by the luxury cars in the lot) and go to Deetjen's to re-live the good ol' days. Not exactly the counter culture place it sells itself as, but certainly very rustic and neat.

The good: nicely decorated by someone who clearly had an interesting artistic sensibility; comfortable bed, comforter, pillows, blankets, etc.; good heat; excellent (and expensive) restaurant; lots of hot water in the shower; good location, but right off Highway 1 so not as tucked away in the woods as some reviews might make it seem; no TV so no distraction in that regard; redwoods and creek out the window; close to several gorgeous parks and other good food choices like Nepenthe; character and charm galore.

The bad: we could hear every single thing our neighbors did (especially in their bathroom), which was disconcerting and made me very feel self-conscious about making noise, unfortunately they didn't seem to have the same concern and had very loud, obnoxious conversations; no locks on the outside of the door, so don't leave anything you deem too precious in your room when you leave, and just a latch to lock it at night (that was hard for a former resident of East LA like me to be totally comfortable with); room above, but off to side of 13th Room (Antique Apartment) has stairs that go right by windows into 13th room that provide a direct view into the whole place that means someone can stand up there and look in while you're in bed!

All in all, my husband and I had a lovely time. The journals that chronicled the room's visits/visitors were entertaining and worth reading, although some weirdos felt compelled to write about the sex they had there. Tacky and gross.

p.s. read the journals for tips on lighting the fire in the stove, and be sure to go with someone you won't feel awkward about hearing you pee or anything else...

Stayed: December 2006
15  Thank RenGarza
Reviewed November 4, 2006

What a wonderful place. We stayed in Faraway as part of our honeymoon.

What a wonderful atmospheric place our room was gorgeous and cosy with a big bed and log fire and a deck - we saw hummingbirds!!!

The food in the resteraunt was unmissible - we will be back

Only complaint was that they billed us twice but a quick call brought a speedy refund.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank minimoo
Reviewed October 16, 2006

Stayed there recently on a getaway anniversary weekend. Other than the guest journals, which read like Penthouse Forum, I'm baffled by the appeal. The "fireplace" was an old stove, you have to share a bathroom, there are no locks on the door - so you are encouraged to store your valuables in the car, and was seated late for dinner - despite a reservation - and then waited approximately 30 minutes without any waiter contact before leaving - during which time we watched several other couples in identical predicaments. Stay at the comparably priced state park, which has nicer facilities, real fireplaces, in-room bathrooms/showers, and a staff that might actually apologize when they screwed up your dinner reservations.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank Guerra