“Different, quirky and unique......”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Reviewed November 20, 2005

We really liked deetjens, the charm and the quaintness.We had an excellent meal at their restaurant, had a good night there. Only stayed for one night on the way through Big Sur, but really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank lolly34

Reviewed November 3, 2005

I have to agree with the other reviewer who noted how noisy this establishment is. In contrast to its appearance it must be one most poorly sound-insulated hotel rooms I have ever been in. You can hear literally everything that happens in the next room. On my visit the snoring in the next room kept me awake all night.

The vast contrast between the apparent seclusion of the setting and the symphony of sound that I was treated to was astonishing. This hotel is strictly for vocal exhibitionists and auditory voyeurs only!

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank monstermunchor
Reviewed November 1, 2005

Well, I can see the charm of this place. It is secluded and markets itself on being a relaxing, old-fashioned escape. Personally, I found this very far from true. The owners have obviously spent a lot of time and effort trying to make Deetjens a real haven. I cannot then understand why they haven't sound-proofed the rooms! Really, it could be done in a way that didn't impact on the quaintness of the place and would make it so much nicer.

As it stands I feel it is missleading to market this place on it's seclusion and quiet. Because it's really noisy. Additionally, it's down the road from the Esalen Institute, so people come here to practice their tantric ----! I'm sure you can paint your own picture here....

The noise problem really spoiled my time here and I would never recommend Detjeens, unless this issue was addressed. Don't come here unless you want to hear everything your neighbours do. Or want them to hear you.

• Stayed: October 2005
16  Thank KipNKel
Manchester UK
Reviewed July 14, 2005

We stayed here in early July for just one night and loved the place. Its got loads of character, the staff were all great, the breakfast one of the best we had in the States and the setting amongst the redwoods is beautiful.

Having read some of the reviews on here we were a bit worried, especially as we were booked into the 'Little Room'. We loved our room! It was small but cosy, and quite large enough for two for a couple of nights. The place is old (that's its charm) so there is some noise from the highway and adjoining rooms, but no worse than most European hotels. I can only assume that most people who write reviews on here are used to big annonymous American chain hotels. If thats what you like avoid this place... If you want someing differant stay here.

One word of advice, le petite room is tiny... but would be fine for a single travelor for one or two nights.

We'd deff recomend this place to our friends as part of the Big Sur experience.

• Stayed: July 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed June 24, 2005

when my family and i went to stay at deetjens our first impressions were an absolute rip-off!! how anyone could be allowed to service a inn like this one is beyond imagination. yes there is some possible history about it but we are not stuck in the 1940's! nor are we children. it was absurd.

i will never go back there again, and would not reccomend it to honeymooners, a family, a couple... no one!! we had just visited the grand canyon and hiked all the way down it, it was lovely, but very exhausting! so we needed a break, we thought it was deffinately going to be different but we certainly did not imagine it to be like that. we booked the 'treehouse' for 4 night and only ended up staying there for one night.

there were more than just some problems!

• Stayed: August 2004
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 4, 2005

It is true you either love it or you hate it. We LOVED IT. Their web site does a good job of illustrating the vibe: rustic lodge style, bordering on ramshackle, but oh so romantic. Rough hewn walls (yes, painfully thin) woodburning fireplace, mismatched lamps and furniture, summer camp bathroom fixtures. Set in a redwooded canyon just at Hwy 1, the morning light didn't wake us up until 9 am! And on a weekday, the traffic wasn't a bother to us either. (I can imagine weekends would be way worse.) We had a wonderful dinner and excellent service, and a nice breakfast the next morning. We'll be making pilgrimages back at least annually.

• Stayed: January 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 21, 2004

Imagine a beautiful cozy log cabin with a fire blazing away and the bed covered with a patchwork quilt and you've got Deetjen's. This place is really special. It's a collection of log cabins set apart from each other, amongst the amazingly tall trees. It's a very quiet, relaxing place, and is ideal for lovely long walks on the beach or in the stunning hills and mountains.
The restaurant here is also excellent.
This is one of the best places I have ever been!

19  Thank JuliePoolie
Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#1 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!