“Charming but rude”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
New York City, New York
“Charming but rude”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed at Deetjens this past weekend as part of a destination wedding. The wedding guests were spread all over Big Sur in different hotels.
I choose Deetjens because it seemed like a charming old world rustic retreat in a natural serene environment. It was all of that. The rooms were old (cozy) and cabin like (just as it may have been in the 1930's) the bed and linens were of high quality and extremely comfortable!! The towels soft and luxurious this gave the hotel an upscale feel! Although the bathrooms could have used better lighting and the plumbing is old. If I wasn't getting ready (makeup and hair) for a wedding that really wouldn't have bothered me.
The restaurant was lovely, warm and inviting with good fare. The restaurant staff and people at the front desk very sweet an friendly.
But what shocked me was.... why I received a loud knock at my door at 7:30 in the morning from a strange woman from the staff (possibly manager) yelling at me and asking me why another guest who arrived for the wedding (who came in late or should I say very early in the morning) didn't have a room.... is beyond me!!! She was rude and said some inappropriate things which were unacceptable to any guest! A better approach would have been a tap on the door at a later more respectable hour with a soft non confrontational voice, as this woman didn't no my place in the wedding planning from a whole in the wall. Her blaming me for this guest not having a room was very unfair. I had nothing to do with it, this was completely unacceptable and put a very bad taste in my mouth and kind of ruined all the good the hotel had to offer!
I was shocked that this happened in such a serene quiet place. Lesson to be learned.... Do not wake up your guests to yell at them for anything especially when you don't even know whats going on!!

12 Thank FMLOT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This Inn was like no other we have stayed in before, so pleased we managed to get a reservation.
The rooms/ cabins were filled with rustic furniture like my grandma had . The wood burner made it all cosy. it felt like you were in the Alps somewhere where Heidi lived. We loved this place and would have loved to stay longer. The staff were really friendly and despite the rooms having no locks we felt very safe. I left my Nikon camera on the bed when we went for our evening meal and it was still there when we returned. The food in the restaurant was excellent both for evening meal and breakfast. Before we left we went for a walk through the woods and had a great view of the sea. It was all really relaxing. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would love to return someday.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Mantoloking
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Just left this Big Sur Inn after spending three nights while attending a destination wedding.. The charming , low tech rooms were terrifc.. The food in their restaurant was tasty and presented well... well above average. The DIFFICULT factor here was the overall unfriendly dealings with management staff... Hard to understand when there you are in a would-be laid back , healing centered locale in beautiful/magnificent California coastal territory... Hard to whole heartily recommend.... Maybe the resident staff was off on vacation!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the busy highway... There are a few.
7 Thank Joan M
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stayed one night due to my early arrival for a reservation at the Post Ranch. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very old, can be drafty, very small, but homey and funky in a good way. No TV, but books and notes to read from previous visitors referencing how Deetjen's affected their stay and lives (even some Jack Karouac entiresl). Each room actually has it's own name and personality. No other amenities, rather spartan, but interesting, small money as is appropriate for the space. The breakfast and dinner restaurant is also unique and offering tasty meals. Highly recommended for a short and an interesting rest along with some local charm and history.

Room Tip: View the rooms before you accept. They are all different with a variety of features. Don't let...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank AnthonyVic
Flanders, New Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Deetjen's is grouping of redwood plank cabins nestled in the redwoods of Castro Canyon on the north bound side of old Route 1 in Big Sur. When you make a reservation for the first time you will be warned that the cabins are rustic. And that they are.

The showers are an experience, especially if you are not petite: small, tight but excellent for getting in touch with yourself, literally. Elbows at your side, switching hands to scrub each side. Some rooms are not for tall people. I guess in the 30's, people were shorter. The beds are very cozy and comfortable, albeit if your are tall, you better plan to have your feet hang over the bed. Don't take these thing as a complaint. I have been to Deetjens many times over the years. It is a classic place in the heart of Big Sur.

Most rooms have some sort of heat system. Fire place, electric heating, gas heat, depending upon where your room is located. I does get chilly in Big Sur, even in the summer. So, you will need a little heat at night---or not.

For me, the lack of TVs, room phones, Wi-Fi, and cell service is a welcome break. Don't expect any of this service. If you, or your kids, ate totally addicted to electronic communications, this my be your place for rehab.

Room Tip: This trip was the second time we went with another couple. I you go with another couple I suggest yo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob B
Hicksville, New York
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I banged my head on the low beams of the Top Antique room more times than I could count (probably due to concussion) and the bed & shower combined to stretch my surgically-repaired spine to its limits, but if I ever make it back to Big Sur again you will find me at Deetjen's Big Sur Inn. This place is a Big Sur Classic - cute, romantic, relaxing, quaint. It's truly a place to disconnect, unwind and find yourself able to think...really think. Each room has its own uniqueness, the staff are friendly and knowledgable and the food is excellent. If you stay here, make sure to spend lots of quality time reading through the numerous journals of past guests and don't forget to say hi to Fabio the cat!...he's the one that really runs the show at this hotel.

Room Tip: Be forewarned!!! - there are NO tv's or phones in any of the rooms and there is NO cell phone or...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eric S
Minnesota
Reviewed June 9, 2014

As the other reviewers stated...there are quirky things about this inn...paper thin walls, un-attached bathrooms, the smell of fireplace smoke (which I never tire of actually). But WHO CARES when the place is in the most beautiful setting in one of the most beautiful places in the US??? It was oozing with charm and beauty. We stayed in the lower creek cabin, and had a couple staying above us. Yes, you could here them walking around, but for some reason it sort of added to the character of the place. We loved, and used, the fireplace....and the kids thought it was great to snuggle up on the trundle bed in front of it to read. We hiked up to the the two different look outs which were stunning and a very easy 5-10 minute walk. There was a little kitchen with a sink in our cabin, but no fridge. There was a table though where you could eat or play cards etc...which was nice to have. We had dinner and breakfast at the Inn. The dining room alone is worth the trip...how cozy and cute can you get? The food was so-so...not bad at all, just nothing to write home about. Breakfast was great. The staff was also polite and helpful. Great location for doing day trips around Big Sur. Two nights would be sufficient here...though I could spend a whole summer escaping reality there!

Room Tip: We were a family of four and stayed in the Lower Creek Room. It did have a room upstairs (we were d...
2 Thank mamasitaMinnesota
#1 of 2 in Big Sur
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#2 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!