Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
$1,300
$1,525
SmithHotels.com
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
$501
$385
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
$520
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Lucia Lodge(Big Sur)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfranklin roomnon profitstep back in timeeggs benedictwood stovebreakfast and dinnerone of a kinddeetjensjournalredwoodscabinlatchhighwaygrandmacellsettingnature
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at Deetjen's with my daughter. It is certainly an interesting hotel, quaint and countrified and its surrounding really beautiful. Our dinner at the restaurant was superb, with great wines. Our room (Grandpa's) was clean and comfortable. My only complaint was that none of the rooms have a key, which I found rather worrying. I locked all my belongings in the car whilst we ate at the restaurant and could only sleep that night after wedging a couple of chairs beneath our door. I was assured by the staff at reception that no-one had ever had a problem but I still found the lack of security a concern. Maybe if you are used to camping (which I am not) this would be okay. All in all, we enjoyed our stay but I would only return if I could have a key to my room!

Room Tip: Have a relaxed attitude - be a hippy!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Diana S
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

This was in a great location right on the PCH on our way through Big Sur. we made same-day reservations over the phone and feel they ripped us off knowing we needed a place to stay that night. We paid $245 for one night. Never again. The room was clean, which is about the only nice thing I have to say. The bed was rock hard; my husband and I both thought about sleeping in a chair instead to try to get more sleep. We tried to check out the next morning before breakfast started at 8am but all the doors (except for coffee and tea) were locked. Turns out, after waiting 20-ish minutes until 8:10, that we did not even need to check out. Mostly though, I feel ripped off for an uncomfortable bed in a room with no locks and "paper thin walls" (there's a requested quiet time at night because they say "your neighbor can probably hear you breathing"). We didn't eat there, so I can't say how the food was. One bonus regarding location - we went to McWay Falls for a couple hours around sunset and the inn is only maybe a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Lemming782
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Every now and then you need to turn everything off and escape and deetjens is a great lace to be forced to do this. The room was upper creek and the room whilst basic has everything you need , the rooms were warm friendly and the great trees just reminded me of being back in time. The reception and restraint is worth seeing for the ambience but overall it was a great location and worth the effort.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Moodstar
Reviewed September 18, 2012

First the good news. The location is stunning, and the cabins are clean and warm with comfortable beds (very good bedlinen). The dining room is large and interesting and the food was absolutely amazing. Wood stoves and wood/kindling are provided and replenished daily.
On the downside, we really felt that underneath the hippy vibe there was a rather calculating streak. Our welcome was anything but warm, this was the only place in 3 weeks that did not provide hot water/tea bags so all drinks had to be paid for. The food was expensive, even for the quality and we managed to find staff for two meals who did not tell us of the specials, even tho we could hear the next table getting a full rundown, and the bill arrived before we had finished (never a very tactful move)
bathroom products involved a tiny bottle of shampoo, not enough for the two of us, and a couple of tiny soaps, nothing else. Quite expensive, tho we fully understand the conservation element of the funds needed to keep it all together
Having said that, I should return for the beauty of the whole place, but not expect to be getting the welcome that we got in every other place we visited, take a travel kettle and some teabags and you'll be fine

Room Tip: they are probably all beautiful, just explain your wants when booking
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank londonludditelady
Torreywaag, Manager at Deetjen's Big Sur Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

We are so very sorry you had a less than gracious experience with our staff, and we are addressing this.

Also, we apologize that you were not informed that we *do* offer complimentary coffee and tea for Guests in our Family Room every day, starting at 7:15 am.

Thank you for your positive comments and we hope to welcome you back sometime!

Warmly,

Deetjens Big Sur Inn

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Let's make it short and sweet: I loved Deetjen's!

I found this Inn by chance driving on the Pacific Coast Highway south to north. Having no reservation, I walked in, was told that they had three rooms available, and that I could take a look at all three before deciding. I was surprised to be sent on my way to the rooms with only a map and no keys. There are no locks for the rooms. That'll send you back 80 years.

I picked the Franklin Room, which had a cosy fireplace and everything you would come to expect from an Inn in Big Sur: Rustic interior, a nice, comfortable bed, but no TV, no telephone and no cell phone reception. There are several things to be aware of at Deetjen's:

I am not kidding, there are no locks. They only tell you to keep the doors closed with a little hook, just to keep the raccoons out (how wonderful is that?).

It gets really cold at night, so the fireplaces in the rooms are not just decorative - alternatively, bring a sweater.

You would be surprised at how quiet it gets at night, it actually needs a little getting used to.

There are no electronics in the rooms, just lights. It's a great change of pace, absolutely. But we are so conditioned to TV and constant media entertainment, that you could get bored. Alas, here the greatest detail of Deetjen's comes into play:
Every room has a cabinet, a cupboard or something similar. Open it up. Inside you'll find a stack of journals designated to that room. The journals are filled with thoughts of travelers who have stayed in this room before and written some words in the journal. Some journals in my room dated back to the sixties! I found myself reading half the night. They offered a great, almost voyeuristic glimpse into the lives of others - just fantastic, there I said it, entertainment. And you can also tell just how secluded Big Sur and Deetjen's actually is. 9/11 didn't make it into the journal I read until 5 days after the horrific event. Life remained undisturbed and peaceful just a little longer alongside Highway Number One.

By the way, I ate at the restaurant that night, it was absolutely amazing. A fantastic dinner in a nice setting with interesting, talkative guests.

Great: setting, rooms, restaurant, just the entire concept

N/A: parking, heating, bathrooms