“A little over-rated, but nice”
Review of Big Sur Lodge

Big Sur Lodge
Ventura, CA
“A little over-rated, but nice”
Reviewed July 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in July 2007. The room we stayed in did not have A/C, which we knew about, but were not really prepared for. We could not stay in the room during the day at all, just too hot. The lodge is showing it's age. The room smelled like ashes, probably due to the large fireplace and age. The on-site food was a little too high priced for what you got. I'm not sure we would stay there again. Overall, OK, but just not very Wow...

Surrounding area is beautiful and I highly recommend going to Pheiffer State Beach, which is a liitle tricky to find, but worth it. There is also a short hike from the Lodge to a waterfall, great to do in the morning.

• Liked — The location is beautiful
  • Disliked — No A/C (a must in the Summer months)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Volocty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
California
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Family of four (twins 5 year-old). We stayed for two nights (Fri-Sat); unit #22. Cost us $270 per night. It was quite hot during our stay (100+). There is no AC (we were told in advance), a large fan is provided. For hot-weather, the "lower" unit (number 60's) probably is a better choice (in a more shaded area). No TV, no phone (not necesary a bad thing ;-)) in the room. Cell phone reception is spotty but I was able to receive and make call.

Our unit is close to the pool (kids loved it). Near the ice machine (great for hot days). The hiking trail to the fall is nearby. Also close to the restaurant and the general store.

Include a day pass that can be used to freely enter number of close-by state parks.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank yyyzzz
manchester
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We only stayed here one night and arrive quite late but thought our lodge was great. There were three of us, but it was huge, could have slept 6. decor was fine, beds were really comfortable and bathroom was fine.

Really nice to be located right in the park. Had breakfast in the restaurant, which was a little odd (what's with the tea served in light bulbs??) but fine.

Stayed May 2008
long beach, ca
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I've stopped here twice on my solo trips to Big Sur.
the rooms had been improved (refurbished) since I last stayed there and I was quite happy with it... large and clean.
However, the food service was miserable... and in Big Sur food service is few and far between. I ordered the dinner specials of the day. The soup was just okay. The trout however was so bad I sent it back to the kitchen (and I have NEVER sent food back before, I can usually eat anything). It was mushy with no taste and no texture
8 ^ p
even the rice was bad (how can you ruin rice?) and the veggies looked and tasted like they came out of their best can. They offered to bring me something else but I decided to try their deli take-out. An Even Bigger Mistake. They had a dozen sandwiches. All the same. All some red meat on white bread.
And the salads looked limp and wimpy... so I went to bed hungry.
I would like to recommend bringing your own food - but there are no refrigerators in the rooms. No microwave. Just a coffee maker. And no grocery for miles.
I've been here twice. I'll try the Big Sur River Inn next time. It's harder to get into because it's smaller and they have very limited business hours. But I'll make the effort.
(Nearby Ventana is VERY nice... but also VERY pricey)

• Liked — nice room, quiet area
  • Disliked — food service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank tomwin

Travelers are raving about these Big Sur hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed May 5, 2008

When my boyfriend called me to tell me that he had booked us a cottage in the woods for the weekend, I couldn't have been more excited! Before leaving to head up to Big Sur I took a look at the Big Sur Lodge website and grew excited when I saw the one image of an adorable cottage tucked in the woods with what looked like a private stone trail leading up to it. Boy was I disappointed when we arrived at the lodge. Our "cottage" was no more than an above average motel, for the price of $265! The lodge consisted of what can only be described as numerous strips of motel rooms. The website is totally misleading, which makes sense now as to why they only have one image of the outside of a "cottage". Their website also shows an interior shot showing sliding glass doors out to a private balcony looking into the woods... I think there are maybe one or two rooms that actually look into the woods. A large amount of the rooms, including the one we were in, have a view of the pool and the recreation center, not the view that we were expecting when we paid for a cottage "located in a tranquil, natural setting of old growth redwood, live oaks and California laurel".
The weirdest thing of all was that it was only the two of us and our room consisted of four beds. We had 1 private bedroom with a queen and then the living area had another queen and two twin beds. Although the fireplace was a plus, there wasn't a couch or are where you could get cozy near it. Poor decorating and design if you ask me!
The staff isn't exactly friendly either. When we were both disappointed with our room we called the front desk to ask if there were other rooms because we were disatisfied with ours, mainly the location, and they told us that they were completely full, yet we saw plenty of vacant rooms that stayed vacant through the night.
Also, the food, not great and completely overpriced. Check out the food at Deetjen's Big Sur Inn, I had the best meal that I have ever had!
If there are any positives, it would be that I'm sure it's a great place for a family with kids who can take advantage of the many beds and the pool/recreation area. I would not recommend this place for adults looking for a getaway.
Another positive... our room was so unwelcoming that it forced us to get out and explore all of the many beauties of Big Sur!
We love Big Sur... next time we're either camping or renting a cabin somewhere else!

• Liked — The hiking and wilderness near by.
  • Disliked — The view from our room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tmstarr
los angeles
Reviewed May 5, 2008

So, I don't understand why people are rating this very high unless you are used to sleeping in a motel. I booked a "cabin" via telephone with the lodge for this past weekend. Hoping to have a very peaceful, secluded, stay in the woods with my girlfriend. When we showed up we were horribly upset in the fact that all the units are connected to each other like a motel or an INN would be and the views that they show on the website with the sliding glass doors overlooking the woods, yeah, that's a lie as well. We had a view of the swimming pool and the echoes of kids playing in it. After visiting all the other nearby campsites and lodges we also found out that we had paid the most money of all the other "actually secluded and private" cabins available. I would suggest calling Fernwood campground which is actually right on the Big Sur river and booking something there because those cabins were actually nice. Oh and did I mention that I called the lodge right when I got in the room to ask for another room with a better view and they told me they were booked up but it was obvious the next morning that was a lie AND after checking out and explaining to them that the website was misleading they agreed with me and told me that they try to tell people that when they call. I called and no one said a word to me. There are many other places to check out in that area for cabins so I would recommend you do so if you are looking for a "cabin" and not a "cottage". If you are camping though, Bis Sur state park is the best in the area. I go there every year and will continue to, in my tent.

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank woodsyman
nyc
Reviewed May 1, 2008

I got a room with a queen in the bedroom and three beds in the living room for my three kids. Kitchen and dining area was nice feature. So was the well heated pool for my kids. Nice peaceful location. Great hiking from the cottage. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2008
#1 of 2 in Big Sur
Blue Sky Lodge
Blue Sky Lodge
#3 of 5 in Carmel Valley

Been to Big Sur Lodge? Share your experiences!