“Quick lunch so you can be on your way to see the sights!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 20 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This is not an official restaurant, but a delicious deli below Big Sur Lodge.
Albuquerque, Nm
“Quick lunch so you can be on your way to see the sights!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

So here's my advice... stop in to the Big Sur Deli inside the Big Sur General Store, grab a quick lunch and take it with you to your next beautiful stop so you can enjoy the view and enjoy a good sammich. I had the pastrami sandwich and my traveling companion had the meatloaf sandwich. The portions are huge; you can easily share a meal or have leftovers for later (we had a cooler with us). It is a busy place but they were pretty quick. I thought the prices for the sammiches were reasonable, particularly considering their size. (Be aware, though, that the prices of the other snacks and goodies in the general store are on the pricey side.)

The turnoff to Pfeiffer State Beach is north of there on the left; take your lunch there and enjoy the scenery!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank lyrix428

San Diego, California
“Good Pitstop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

If you're driving route 1 and don't feel like taking time out for a full meal, this little bodega has great sandwiches (prewrapped or custom made), plus good homemade tamales. I suggest grabbing food here and heading to one of the local picnic spots. Really cheap too.

• Visited August 2012
Orlando, Florida
“Bare hands of the cashier handling our bread and cheese, UGH!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We arrived in Big Sur late and tired and we didn't feel like going out to diner so we chose to grab some take-out from the Big Sur Deli. Being that we were in Big Sur I was expecting classier service than having the cashier who just finished handling the cash in the register making our sandwiches with his bare hands without even pretending to wipe or wash his hands. Honestly, I wouldn't even expect that from a fast food dump much less a deli. We get grossed out easily and I had to keep what I saw a secret in addition to blocking it out of my own head so I could actually eat my sandwich. The food was very good and I would have given them 4 stars if not for the bare hands incident.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
San Diego
“Great Sandwiches and Tamales”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This is the deli right next to the Tap House. The sandwiches are outstanding, as are the wings, and tamales. We came back three times. This was the only place we found that didn't cost your first born son to eat some great food. The guys were super helpful and friendly. I am so glad to have found this spot.

• Visited July 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Great Sandwiches!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stopped here to pick up sandwiches and beer to take to the beach. Food is great and the price is right. Lots of fun stuff in the general store type atmosphere. This place is good to pick up some really cool local souvenirs.

Visited July 2012

Been to Big Sur Deli? Share your experiences!