“Not Impressed”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
maine
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed March 29, 2006

The Ventana Inn has an excellent location in Big Sur. I stayed in on of the low rent rooms ($429)that looked out on the forest.
Rooms very very nicely appointed, nice beds, sheets, flat screen T.V. Fireplace in room, nice toiletries
Issues:
1. I arrived at my room at about 6:30 PM on a cold cloudy/rainy day I was welcomed by a room that was 58 F.. It was freezing cold. Since they don't have much for heaters I was cold in my room for about 3 hours. I called to the front desk to let them know and there was no apology, no amenity offered, nothing. I might expect something like this at a Super 8, but in a $400 a night hotel room this is an inexcusible omission of service on the part of the management.
2. Room service is only available from 6-9 pm. I have gotten hosed at more than one hotel for room service, but they only offered dinner type items- a steak for $47.00. fish for $42.00- no sandwich menu,no snacks nothing. If you want a meal at Ventana plan on spending some money.
3. The crowd there is really California snotty, very very uppercrusty like they all stepped out of GQ. So we weren't wild about the vibe.

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank lobco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 17, 2006

What a wonderful place! My husband and I stayed there for one night. A normal room with a "distant" view of the ocean. They had a special that included a 3 course meal at the restaurant Cielo.

We indulged in excellent spa treatments. The Japanese hot baths/sauna were nice, but there isn't really anywhere to hang out if it's raining. The area to change and wait for your treatment is small and not the norm for such an expensive spa. All in all worth it though.

The rooms were very nicely appointed and had nice touches like apples, binoculars, and DVDs that you could check out. Very nie sheets and comfy beds! We really enjoyed the restaurant and hiking around the grounds.

We will definitely go back but would also like to try the Post Ranch. Stop at Nepenthe just 5 minutes south for lunch. The views there are stunning and the food is really good for a restaurant that people go to for the views.

Stayed January 2006
4 Thank sucre
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 11, 2005

My husband and I recently married and spent our honeymoon at The Ventana during the week of Thanksgiving. First, let me start this review by saying that the vistas from this resort are some of the most beautiful in the world. I have traveled extensively and have to say that this part of California is incomparable in its beauty. The sunsets over the Pacific are beyond description. This was my third trip to this area of the California coast.

The resort is beautiful. The rooms are incredible. We stayed in a room called "The Cottage" which is equivalent to a Big Sur Spa Suite. It was a separate building, so the privacy was great. Our room was very spacious with a sitting area with two hugh leather easy chairs in front of the fireplace, a gorgeous bathroom with a spa tub and a separate shower, and a jacuzzi on the private deck overlooking the forest. We watched Blue Jays, deer and squirrels, while we had our coffee on the deck each morning.

The rates at the resort are very expensive. But, it is worth every penny just because it is so beautiful. The patio at the restaurant overlooks the Pacific setting 1,300 feet above the water. An evening watching the sunset on this patio is remarkable. It is truly a light show that only nature could provide.

I cannot say the service at the resort is flawless, because it is not. We called to request another robe, because my husband had accidentally dropped his in water beside the jacuzzi. They said they would bring another right up, but they did not bring it. The maid took one of our coffee cups the second day, so we did not have two cups for use with our in-room coffee maker. Some of the staff members are not extremely friendly, but others are. I think when rates are this high, the service should be impeccable.

However, I cannot recommend a trip to The Ventana enough. It is peaceful, romantic, and well-kept. The pictures I have attached are taken either of the resort or are a vista from the resort.

• Stayed November 2005
7 Thank GinSha1
los angeles
Reviewed October 9, 2005

The hotel and spa were a blissful experience.
The restaurant- out of this world!!
Very romantic. The internet offers a great package including 2 massages and dinner for two. I give it an A+!!

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank Penelope A
san francisco
Reviewed October 5, 2005

Big Sur was beautiful, but the inn didn't quite live up to expectations. For such an expensive place I expected a little more, and it didn't deliver. The room was very loud, was awaken by the maid opening the storage closet right out side my room every morning at 8am. We ran out of hot water, and were unable to use the luxurious tub, the dvd player didn't work, and it took maintance over an hour to respond to fix it... which was a little too late for my husband and I to watch the movie. Overall the staff seemed 'put out' at any request we had, however I should mention management was very responsive. Some good mentionables, the food at the near by restuarant was great (except the canolies for dessert) and the spa was wonderful.

Overall not worth it for the money.

• Stayed October 2005
11 Thank lles
New York City
Reviewed September 4, 2005

Ventana is extraordinary. We stayed for a week in a huge room jr suite that could have been decorated by Ralph Lauren, with enormous leather armchairs, comforters, our own hot tub and a hammock on the deck, a flat screen TV and stereo system, a fireplace with real wood available, a two-person soaking tub, a king four-poster bed and a price that was half that of its nearest competitor for a comparable room. Don't think you want a TV? We were there when Hurricance Katrina destroyed New Orleans...you do want CNN for updates. Newspapers including the NY Times were delivered to the door at 7AM, there was extraordinary service(requests for more towels, ice, firewood, shuttles were answered in no more than three minutes), and a delicious restaurant with a long and superb wine list. Room service comes from there, with the same full menu, up to 9PM. When the toilet wouldn't stop flushing, maintenance was there almost immediately(everyone has a two-way radio and earbud.) Other than that, there was absolutely NOTHING that went wrong during seven days, and we were not afraid to ask for all we had paid for, which was provided with speed and utmost courtesy. The property has been around for a while, and has a lived-in look like a pair of expensive shoes made to last a lifetime. Nothing has gone to seed, the property is maintained exceptionally well. We are very picky about hotels and spas, and will return here for times of complete rest.

• Stayed August 2005
Quail Lodge & Golf Club
Glen Oaks Big Sur
Glen Oaks Big Sur
#3 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Ventana Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!