“Dust in my Coffee Cup”

Ranked #2 of 2 Big Sur B&B and Inns
Dallas, TX
“Dust in my Coffee Cup”
Reviewed February 11, 2007

This was the worst motel I have ever stayed in. We read the reviews here with a grain of salt because we're flexible people. Oh, we learned our lesson.

Our room was dusty and musty. Everything was covered in dust. After making coffee in the morning I noticed a large dust particle floating in my cup. Gross.

The housekeeping staff didn't make up our room until about 4 pm and they did a very poor job - left trash and didn't change out the dirty coffee mugs. They merely placed the dirty cups back on the coffee tray.

I woke up in the middle of the night sneezing my head off. This was my allergy attack from the dust that then turned into a sinus infection with fever.

At the restaurant we were presented with a marketing postcard in our bill folder that told of a great promotion they had running during the winter off-peak season. It was about half of what we paid per night. My husband took it to the management and they claimed that it wasn't good on the weekends (we stayed on one non-weekend night) and because we didn't mention it when we booked, they wouldn't honor it. They blamed my allergy attack on my hypochondria (doesn't exist) and refused to even listen to our complaints about our miserable stay.

Heed this! Do not stay at this dump. Apparently, the owners are running the place on a shoestring and not investing a dime into improving the rooms. It's really a shame because it's in a breathtakingly lovely location.

• Liked — Right by the river
  • Disliked — Dirty, filthy, terrible management
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank BusinessTravelinMama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Nor Cal
Reviewed February 4, 2007

This was the most expensive motel I have stayed at, we usually stay in nice hotels so we're used to putting out a little cash, it was New years eve and were meeting friends.
I read all the reviews before going, so I was a little prepared I thought...NOT.
If you HAVE to stay there bring your own towels because theres are thinner than the walls between the rooms, bring earplugs if you intend to sleep, the noise from the street,the drippy shower and the frisky neighbors made it imposable to sleep.
There is no TV, and good luck trying to get a signal on your cell phone, no phones in the room either.
Do have a meal or two at the restaurant all the meals were wonderful so was the service, people friendly.

• Liked — the resturant
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vickinapavalley
Seaside
Reviewed December 21, 2006

When we first saw the website for the inn, we were amazed by the photography of the scenery and some of the amenities that the so called inn had to offer. Unforntunately, we were fooled by the pictures and when we tried to cancel the trip, the hotel manager told us we would still have to pay for the whole price of the room, regardless whether we stayed there or not. We ended up going anyways and once we reached there, we felt so cheated once we saw the facilities. Outside of the front office, there was a big sign that said `Big Sur River Inn MOTEL`. We were even more speechless once we got into our room, where we saw nothing more than a bed, some desks and a tiny bathroom. After staring at our dismal room for about 1 minute, we went outside looking for the outdoor heated pool that we saw on the website, where we hoped we would spend most of our time enjoying. Once we reached the pool, we were so disappointed that the pool was closed. With nothing else to do besides look at the nearby river, visit the pricey shops and restaurants nearby and with no TV or radio in the room, we ended up taking a nap the whole day and waiting for the next day to come so we could get out of here. After coming back to civilization the next day, I really wished we would have just paid the full priced cancelation fee instead of wasting even more money and time to travel there to torture ourselves in such a poor room. If you ever decide to visit Big Sur, I recommend you pack a tent and try camping outdoors instead, because it will probably be alot more comfortable than staying at this place.

• Liked — The Heater
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in a tent instead
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank orac
Ontario, Ca.
Reviewed December 18, 2006

Thw location of the motel is beautiful, and I felt confident staying there since I had visited the restraunt many times. We were planning a trip with our two young girls and this was one of the few places that seemed family friendly. We stayed in the largest, most expensive suite, for $221.00 a night in December. We expected rustic with no TV or Phone, but we were not prepared for NO CHAIRS in the rooms! One room had a king bed and a dresser, the other two twin beds against the walls with an end table in between. We ended up sitting on the floor playing board games with our kids. The second day we were tired of the floor so we dragged two patio chairs in from the deck. Even motel 6 gives you a table and chairs.
The first night the alarm clock in the next room, which was empty, went off at 2am. There is no night manager, so we were left to fend for ourselves. After two hours of no sleep my husband started flipping switches in the breaker box in our closet and eventually found one that turned off the alarm. Our night, which was also our anniversary, was ruined as well as leaving us dragging the next day from no sleep. The next day we complained to the office, and they put a gift basket of chips and cookies in our room, which we had to sit on the floor to eat!

• Liked — The outdoor environment, the river is beautiful
  • Disliked — The room was terrible
  • Tips/Secrets — Rent a cabin or stay at the Lodge
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank natharrold
Lake Wylie, SC
Reviewed November 1, 2006

nice area, rooms older, no phone, cell phone, or TV service, walk across street to restaturant (little pricey) but nice, another store has beautiful pictures, general store has things if you need them

2 Thank photographerrn
san diego
Reviewed November 1, 2006

We stayed here for one night on our way down the coast. Pulled in around 7 pm with no reservation with a 6 month old in the car so we were going to stay there no matter what. The clerk in the restaurant booked our room and gave us a good rate for a large room. He was friendly offering to show the rooms before I decided and such. The room was a one bedroom suite with two twin beds in one room and a large king in the bedroom. While the room is rustic reminding me very much of ski condos I have stayed in, it was clean. Ironically the bed was the most comfortable of the weeks worth of one night stays which included 5 star accomodations. You can hear the traffic on the road (hwy 101) which I suppose in the peak season could be an issue. However for our end of Oct stay we only heard a car or two. The grounds are quite pretty and our one bedroom had a small sitting area in front with a view of the river. The highlight of this stay was an absolutely great breakfast with friendly staff, good food and a decent price. While checking in I also heard two couples rave about their dinner. The restaurant atmosphere is charming as well.

• Liked — very comfortable bed with luxurious bedding
  • Disliked — a bit dated
  • Tips/Secrets — price of room was definately not firm, they were willing to deal
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank shonniej
San Francisco
Reviewed October 29, 2006

The River Inn is located in Pfieffer(?) Park right along the river and is really quite beautiful. Even the inside of the Inn is really nice and has a large comfortable fireplace to sit in front of. It's only the food and service that isn't impressive. They had already run out of english muffins for the eggs benedict by 9:30 in the morning, and the huevos rancheros were just okay. The entire time you would of thought the waiter was doing us a favor, and it was a little expensive for what it was. I would recommend coming by for the coffee shop and a sit in front of the fireplace or on the deck by the river.

1 Thank KatMeow
#2 of 8 in Big Sur
Ventana Inn & Spa
Ventana Inn & Spa
#4 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Big Sur River Inn? Share your experiences!