$1,600
  • Breakfast included
Big Sur Lodge(Big Sur)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from these sites
All reviewsapple piewooden chairsburritoribscool riverroot beeroverlooking the riverliving roomlittle priceybreakfast and dinnergas stationgift shoproad triptrundlecreekstreamporch
Reviewed June 27, 2005

First, I love Big sur and was very happy to be there. Everything was beautiful and my husband and I had a great time. However, we overpaid for what we got ($130 per night). I would advise someone to check out Glen Oakes or another alternative first. The people were friendly but the rooms were very sparse. The showers are tiny. No meals were included, although we did receive a coupon for 10% off of breakfast. Also, as has been previously stated the rooms are right on the road and the traffic was loud, even with the windows closed. I was surprised and thought that even for Big Sur prices this was overpriced.

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank Joanna B
Reviewed June 5, 2005

We wanted to stay somewhere in the Big Sur for a couple of nights and this seemed the best out of poor to average reviews for accommodation in the area. I was glad that I read the reviews beforehand as I had low expectations before we got there. The accommodation is exactly as described on their website and on here. I think we stayed in room 2 on the side of the road opposite the restaurant etc.

We had taken eyemasks (to blank out any light) and earplugs as a precaution but still managed to get awoken at 2am in the morning by the couple next door making love (the walls are very thin)!! As someone else has said the traffic dies down on Highway 1 before 12 midnight and the first noisy bikes don't really start going past until 7.30am (or thereabouts) so you can get a reasonable night's sleep. It wasn't too hot when we went so we didn't need to have the windows open.

We ate at the restaurant once and although the food was great and at a reasonable price we were ignored by most of the restaurant staff, so much so that we felt uncomfortable/invisible.

The shop is great and stocks nearly everything you could want at reasonable prices.

The only real downside is that there are no facilities in your room to make your own hot drinks, you know what we English are like for our tea and it is this single thing which sticks in my mind the most! Of course, it means you have to keep purchasing at the shop (I guess that's why they don't put a coffee maker in your room!). You also have to buy ice as we couldn't see anywhere to get it for free (there are no refrigerators in the rooms).

Overall, its expensive for what you get, compared to the other four motels/lodging we stayed in on our trip (and most of them included complimentary breakfast) but that's because you're in the Big Sur and this place is right in the heart of it!

• Stayed: May 2005