Traveling down the coast we decided to stay in Big Sur, I bought a discounted room on booking.com.
1. When I arrived I saw "booking.com" stamped on my invoice--combined with the fact that they then put us in a noisy room across the street from the river, when the most of the rest of the hotel was empty leads me to believe that buying a room on booking.com means getting stuck in the dud room.
2. Between 6:30-9:30 pm a machine behind the room (a generator?) was in full force-- even shaking the beds and making it very unpleasant. We were trying to sleep bc we had a late night reservation at Esalen. There was no one at the desk to speak to after 5pm--and there are no phones in the rooms, and no way to get in touch with anyone that I could find. We would have asked to be switched--which might have changed our stay for the better, but it wasn't possible.
3. Again-- with the majority of the rooms open that night (we took a walk and looked since the noise was so awful in room 10) why would they stick us away from the river in a room that sounds like the machine room of a giant ship?
4. Finally, I booked a room here because of the price--which was decent but not CHEAP (~$170) --and because the website showed a common area with a fireplace. Upon arrival we discovered that the fireplace room and the restaurant were closed for renovations. This needs to be indicated on the website. Maybe this is a nice place to stay if you get lucky with the room and your timing, but for the money it cost we feel ripped off.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A quaint stream-side inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Big Sur River Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Big Sur River Hotel Big Sur