Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
$735
$1,009
$339
Normandy Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$329
Carmel Bay View Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$384
All reviewsapple piewooden chairsburritoribscool riverroot beeroverlooking the riverliving roomlittle priceybreakfast and dinnergas stationgift shoproad triptrundlecreekstreamporch
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My Husband I just got back yesterday from the Big Sur River Inn, celebrating both my Husbands's B-Day and our Wedding Anniversary. We are the couple that can find the positive in darn near everything. We are also that same couple who finds it irritatitng when a review has nothing but negative things to say. So here I hope you find both....all that is wonderfull and all that his not! This was a childhood haunt of mine...it came with very high expectations as many summer weekends were spent on the lawn listening to music.

What rocks!!
Get the 1 bedroom suite...the view and the sound of the river...sighh..unbelievable. Could wake up to that every day.
The beds are UBER comfy with nice duvet's and tons of pilows.
The rooms are spotless...hats off to housekeeping for an imaculate job.
Everything is in close proximity...forget something at home...no problem, the General Store will have it for ya.
Sunday's its music on the lawn from 1-5...pick from an adirondack chair on your own deck, on the lawn or even one in the river....can't beat these spots.
Did I mention the view?

Now for what didn't work so well.
They are "famous" for their BBQ. Infamous perhaps, as we had what was likely the first slab of the day....but probably a few days prior...it was hard, dry, no flavor and inedible. All that can be yours for $19.00 USD.
We thought dinner would be better, it was our anniversary and bday celebration after all. I ordered filet (medium) and my Hubbs got the lemon rosemary chicken. The steak was WELL done and there was no hint of lemon OR rosemary on the chicken...at least it was moist.
Not a single wait staff, lunch or dinner, asked us how our food was, if we needed anything else...nothing. Dropped off the food, the dessert menu and the check. No service there...which saddened me as that is not how I remember the place in the past..
The walls are paper thin, so maybe some ear plugs...unless you enjoy hearing blow by blow how the neighbors in the room next door are making their last ditch marrital effort to resolve their promlems. Ummm no.
On property public restrooms were really dirty and looked like they hadn't been updated since the 70s.

All in all, we determined we will definately go back for day trips...time on the lawn with music and beer...but bring our OWN food! Stay again? Maybe....those views at night are incredible.

Give it a shot....for the low low price of $285 a night

Room Tip: The suites facing the river have THE best view, but the bedroom window backs up to the parking lot and the hiway. Traffc noise from 7am-10pm
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Julie B
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Fortunately we had only booked a one night stay at Big Sur River Inn. We stayed in some lovely hotels and motels during our two week trip to California in August but this was a huge (and overpriced) let down.
I am quite happy to accept the lack of a tv and relax with my book but, what is not clear from the photographs of the motel rooms, is that the main highway is a few feet from the veranda, with cars passing constantly. A tv (or earplugs) would be useful to drown out the noise.
On the whole the standard of cleanliness in the room and bathroom was good. However, when we went to bed, we discovered two cigarette burns, one in the duvet cover and the other on the sheet. As a lifetime non-smoker I found this revolting, not to say puzzling in a non-smoking establishment. At the same time I discovered that my bedside lamp would not work. When we pulled out some furniture to look, it was obvious that previous guests had unplugged lamps to use sockets for charging. I would expect lamps to be checked and in working order, not to be crawling around the floor in the middle of the night to sort them out.
The final irritation came after my shower in the morning. 200 dollars for the night and NO HAIR DRIER!
On the plus side, we ate at the restaurant. The food was delicious and the service excellent.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Big Sur lodgings are expensive and booked up in the summer. It is a lovely area.
The Inn is a little spiffed up,a little funky-perfect for me.You almost feel like you're camping-but no,there's a VERY comfortable king sized bed with nice bedding to fall into and the end of your busy outdoorsy day.
Flowers,trees,birds and those chairs in the river so that you can just sit--nice.
We used the pool-nice to have there since we're not swimming in the ocean.
We ate dinner and breakfast on the outdoor patio-great service,good food.
At night there was live music in the pub.
A good home base for our ocean vacation

Room Tip: You're on the highway,but I didn't hear ANY traffic at night. The river side is more convenient and a pretty view from the balcony is great.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank eusnna
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed here 1 night and I wish it had been 3. This was the most comfortable place we stayed our entire trip. Had 1 bedroom suite on river side (highly recommend) and it was perfect for our family of 4. We had a king size bed in the bedroom and the kids had a day bed / trundle for in the "den" area. Room had a little table to eat at and rocking chair, and outside on the front porch it had porch chairs for enjoying the view of the river.

There is a restaurant at the property, but we did not eat there, heard it was quite tasty though. We did frequent the general store on the property and it had great sandwiches & awesome breakfast burritos.

The river is gorgeous and don't forget Pfeiffer State Beach just down the road, a must see.

The inn also has a swimming pool (felt heated) :)

Can't wait to go back here!

Please note - cell phone service is hit & miss here, but they do have a pay phone. There is no TV in the room or wifi - so if you have children may want to take games for at night or portable DVD player. I personally enjoyed the opportunity to "disconnect".

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jetsetterwannabe
Reviewed July 25, 2012

One of the more overpriced motels we've stayed at. The rooms are contructed with poor materials the location by the road is sub-optimal, the service is miserable, the food is average to poor, etc. We we're delighted to be on our way. A shame, since Big Sur is such a vintage location ...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple